Justin Hodges - Achilles

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
"I've been coming to the gym three times a week, to be honest I haven't earned the right to a holiday with the injury. I have something to prove to myself and the Broncos.

"If I work hard every day, I will get back to where I need to be."

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
"I've been coming to the gym three times a week, to be honest I haven't earned the right to a holiday with the injury. I have something to prove to myself and the Broncos.

"If I work hard every day, I will get back to where I need to be."

Such a champion. If we could bottle hodges attitude and give it to the rest of the team (Parker excluded) we would be set.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Triple M (shut up Harry) reporting that he wants to move to 5/8 next season. Are they resigned to losing Milford? My thoughts:

POSITIVES:
* He definitely has the ball-playing and ball-running skills to do it.
* So far we don't have an experienced player to partner Hunt and an abundance of outside backs to shoehorn in.
* As he's done before, he'll try to drag the Broncos to victor kicking & screaming. The halves is the best place to do that.

NEGATIVES:
* His body won't hold up to the defensive workload.
* You need stability in the halves. Playing someone there that's guaranteed to miss 5-15 games of the year is a no-no.
* He works best when he can pick his moments. Not being forced to handle every second play. Think Jarryd Hayne.

I don't like it.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Triple M uh? The same guys that launched the Parker to Penrith rumour... Yeah, right.

Besides, Hodgo's hammies wouldn't last a game if he had to kick the ball.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
To be fair, MMM obviously got the story from the Courier Mail who do appear to have spoken to JH. I tend to agree, if this is seriously being contemplated, I take it as an indication they have given up on Milford and indeed anyone else signing on in the halves.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Triple M uh? The same guys that launched the Parker to Penrith rumour... Yeah, right.

Besides, Hodgo's hammies wouldn't last a game if he had to kick the ball.

BTW, Porthoz, kudos to you for the new layout, I really like the look of it, well done.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Triple M (shut up Harry) reporting that he wants to move to 5/8 next season. Are they resigned to losing Milford? My thoughts:

POSITIVES:
* He definitely has the ball-playing and ball-running skills to do it.
* So far we don't have an experienced player to partner Hunt and an abundance of outside backs to shoehorn in.
* As he's done before, he'll try to drag the Broncos to victor kicking & screaming. The halves is the best place to do that.

NEGATIVES:
* His body won't hold up to the defensive workload.
* You need stability in the halves. Playing someone there that's guaranteed to miss 5-15 games of the year is a no-no.
* He works best when he can pick his moments. Not being forced to handle every second play. Think Jarryd Hayne.

I don't like it.

Ball playing ......really?

Kicking......he'll tear every muscle in his body trying to kick long distance.

Honestly, if Hodges has said this....I wish he'd STFU. It's ridiculous!

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
BTW, Porthoz, kudos to you for the new layout, I really like the look of it, well done.
Thanks mate. Much credit to Nashy, who put up with me when this theme didn't look anything like this... :takdir:

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Ball playing ......really?

Kicking......he'll tear every muscle in his body trying to kick long distance.

Honestly, if Hodges has said this....I wish he'd STFU. It's ridiculous!

Hodgo can say whatever he likes. I'm not saying that I want him at 6 but I really cant see how anyone could question he's ball playing

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
this season when he was roaming around at fullback in attack, he threw some amazing passes. the question is can he do it consistently.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I'm a massive Hodges advocate, but he should never play anyway but Centre or Fullback. I'd rather give Strasser first crack at Five-Eighth if we can't get Tony.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Finishing off passes at fullback and playing in the halves is pretty different. It's why you wouldn't want to see Stewart in the halves, it's why Milford and Barba look better as fullbacks...it's mostly just running and finishing, not really creating.

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
ball playing and Justin Hodges are two things that don't really go together.

it isn't a criticism of the man; some fans just need to realise that being a great player doesn't mean you're great at every single facet of the game. Hodges is an extraordinary ball runner, not so much as a ball player.

Being able to draw and pass as a centre or throw a final pass from fullback doesn't mean you have a really good passing game. I think the idea has about as much merit as moving GI to five-eight ... which is to say, none at all.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Thanks mate. Much credit to Nashy, who put up with me when this theme didn't look anything like this... :takdir:

Would have liked to see Nashy's theme........

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
Apart from the kicking I think he could be one of the best running five eighths in the business. He pulls off some amazing passes. Not sure if he has the creativity foe it though. I think his ball playing is under rated due to the amount of time he has had untrustworthy wingers on his outside. Gi has played five eight very well. Although his ball playing is much worse than Hodges.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
hodges is a ball player in the same way that khunt was. ie hes not.

people seem to mistake being able to throw a pass as being a ball player. its not, its completely different. a ball player knows when/where to pass, how to get the gaps to open up, how to position other players in gaps, etc. hodges can do a mean pass to a player, but thats really about the extent of his ball playing ability.

the whole "he could be one of the best running five eighths in the business" is a bit silly. you could put inglis at prop and say hed be the best running prop in the business. or put tupou in halfback and say hes the best leaping halfback in the business. its true, but it doesnt mean hes a five eighth - just means hes a centre/fullback playing five eighth.

Unread

Active Now

• Lozza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.