Justin Hodges - Achilles

KingWebcke

KingWebcke

QCup Player
Aug 4, 2013
hodges is a ball player in the same way that khunt was. ie hes not.

people seem to mistake being able to throw a pass as being a ball player. its not, its completely different. a ball player knows when/where to pass, how to get the gaps to open up, how to position other players in gaps, etc. hodges can do a mean pass to a player, but thats really about the extent of his ball playing ability.

the whole "he could be one of the best running five eighths in the business" is a bit silly. you could put inglis at prop and say hed be the best running prop in the business. or put tupou in halfback and say hes the best leaping halfback in the business. its true, but it doesnt mean hes a five eighth - just means hes a centre/fullback playing five eighth.

really well said. I'd disagree slightly about Khunt not being a ball player but that iis a different (and pretty irrelevant) argument. and it shouldn't take away from the fact that everything else you have said is spot on.

not to mention the fact that the need for 'running five eights' is really diminished in the game today. when all the team's are playing left/right halves, you need both of your halves to be pretty good passers and not just a ball runners. Right now, even the five-eights who are far better ball runners like Foran, Sutton and Carney still have pretty good passing games (or at least passing games that are far better than Hodges)

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
No. But we are a bit fucked if we don't get Milford.

I really don't know what Hook will pull out of the bag, but best guess would have to be Barba at 6, which sucks a massive fat one.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
No. But we are a bit fucked if we don't get Milford.

I really don't know what Hook will pull out of the bag, but best guess would have to be Barba at 6, which sucks a massive fat one.

So your not in favor of trying out one of our highly rated youngsters (Taylor or Strasser) for the role. similar to the way DCE was given a chance by Manly.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
So your not in favor of trying out one of our highly rated youngsters (Taylor or Strasser) for the role. similar to the way DCE was given a chance by Manly.

I think he was saying that's what Griffin would likely do. I tend to agree, if we don't sign anyone else, we'll likely see both Hoffman and Barba in the spine in Round 1.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

Did either of those 2 just dominate while leading their club to a premiership?

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
What's your point?

DCE did and looked a class above his peers. He wasn't a certainty to be a decent first-grader, but he was definitely worth giving a shot. Considering how our young halves have gone in recent years, Broncos fans would understandably not have the same confidence in our two as compared with Manly's fans & DCE.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Strasser came into the side late on in Q Cup and they looked a class side immediately. Give the kid a chance.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
DCE did and looked a class above his peers. He wasn't a certainty to be a decent first-grader, but he was definitely worth giving a shot. Considering how our young halves have gone in recent years, Broncos fans would understandably not have the same confidence in our two as compared with Manly's fans & DCE.
I watched a game dolphins v Ipswich , Strasser was fairly dominant. Constantly broke the line. didnt get the support he deserved. Ipswich were quite high on the ladder but missing Ian Lacey on the day. He impressed me.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Cherry-Evans won a Qld Cup premiership and player of the year then the next year he was given a shot by Manly when Hodgkins left- He had also played Under 20's for Manly the year before Qld Cup as well. So that's two good years and training with the NRL squad.

As opposed to 6 Under 20's games and a shoulder op and half a year of Qld Cup by Strasser and Taylor.

No where near a comparison.

Last edited:

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I watched a game dolphins v Ipswich , Strasser was fairly dominant. Constantly broke the line. didnt get the support he deserved. Ipswich were quite high on the ladder but missing Ian Lacey on the day. He impressed me.

Jets played appalling that day.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I can only watch on tv so I don't have a deep understanding of the Qcup comp. so you're not a fan ?

No that's not my point. I think Strasser had a good second half of the year and Taylor was impressive in the games he played to a much lesser extent.

My point is that randomly naming kids won't solve the issue.

Before I wrote Strasser had earned a second tier contract, no one mentioned them- now he's an NRL player?

I hope Strasser has a great pre- season and gets a crack but it has to be earned. He's got a strong running game but needs a stronger kicking game to play NRL. He also has never done an NRL pre- season.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Obviously your not a fan [MENTION=8272]1910[/MENTION]. If he isn't the answer what the **** are they going to do? Itay be easy for you to say these guys suck cos maybe you know more than us about who may be coming... Sure would be nice if you shared rather than just rubbishing everything

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I don't think 1910 rubbished ANYONE......

I agree with him re: randomly naming kids. They have to earn it and from what I can gather, both still have a ways to go.

Our management probably haven't been noted for any great acts of genius over the last few years, but I refuse to believe that they are that stupid to have sacked Wallace and Prince without having something up their sleeve.

Quietly confident Milford is coming .....

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Seriously don't care if we get Milford or not. I'll change my tune if we get him obviously but it has dragged out way too long. We can't wait forever. Now, if we were getting DCE on the other hand!!

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • Galco
  • Footy Fanatic
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BRC088
  • Maroon4life
  • Fatboy
  • Wolfie
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Foordy
  • Brotherdu
  • Bucking Beads
  • Culhwch
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.