Kemp + McGuire Fight - Kemp signs for Union

TBH, I believe Kemp was simply the beneficiary of Lockyers skill. He's fast, but the fact that he has failed since leaving the Broncos is a pretty strong indication that he wasn't actually that talented.

How many players DIDN'T benefit from the great man? But the try where he trapped a bad pass with his foot and soccered it on for himself within half a metre of the sideline proves he's talented. By comparison Maranta would've dropped it, fallen over himself meanwhile the opposition pick it up and run 95 to score.

But Kemp didn't really have a stable environment at any place where he ended up. In and out of the Warriors team, didn't do anything for the rah-rah 7's, came back, got injured, went to the Dragons, never got a game, injured, came back, injured (not necessarily in that order). If he had gotten a decent run (i.e. stayed at the Broncs) like he did in 08 then who knows what he could've become today. In hindsight he made some bad choices and I doubt he'll have too much of a 1st grade career left sadly, even at only 26. Only place he'd get back to anywhere near his 08 self apart from here (which is a slim chance anyway if he ever gets a run), would be Melbourne

He's fast, but the fact that he has failed since leaving the Broncos is a pretty strong indication that he wasn't actually that talented.

He was talented, he had speed, step, positioning, support play and plenty of confidence with the great team around him in 2008.

I honestly believe if he was given another shot, injury free, and found that confidence again he could get back to that level. Sadly he doesn't seem to have the ticker and would rather get pissed and take selfies these days.

Side note - look at the depth in those backline movements :drool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Some of that attacking structure was beautiful - though I'd put the credit on to Hunt on a lot of those occasions. You can't tell me though that Hodges wouldn't prefer Kemp outside him instead of Maranta this year. His body language every time Maranta bombs a try says it all - he's frustrated out of his mind at not having a finisher outside him.

I'm not going to blame the year on just one player, but looking at that video, the trys scored off Hodges, well, Hodgo has given Maranta the ball in many similar positions this year, and he's scored on maybe 10% of them? The fact that we've lost 6 games this year by 8 or less, makes you wonder what might have been.

Some of that attacking structure was beautiful - though I'd put the credit on to Hunt on a lot of those occasions. You can't tell me though that Hodges wouldn't prefer Kemp outside him instead of Maranta this year. His body language every time Maranta bombs a try says it all - he's frustrated out of his mind at not having a finisher outside him.

I'm not going to blame the year on just one player, but looking at that video, the trys scored off Hodges, well, Hodgo has given Maranta the ball in many similar positions this year, and he's scored on maybe 10% of them? The fact that we've lost 6 games this year by 8 or less, makes you wonder what might have been.

Well, given that Norman and Wallace have been shunted, and with Hunt showing glimpses of his skills and talent, maybe it's now not what might have been, but what may well be ...

As for that depth and structure, sadly it will take more than Hunt to replace Locky and KHunt, and Hook still seems to have NFI about depth and attack outside the opposition's red zone. Witness the almost complete waste of talent with our running back rowers.

Sigh

Last edited:
How many players DIDN'T benefit from the great man? But the try where he trapped a bad pass with his foot and soccered it on for himself within half a metre of the sideline proves he's talented. By comparison Maranta would've dropped it, fallen over himself meanwhile the opposition pick it up and run 95 to score.

But Kemp didn't really have a stable environment at any place where he ended up. In and out of the Warriors team, didn't do anything for the rah-rah 7's, came back, got injured, went to the Dragons, never got a game, injured, came back, injured (not necessarily in that order). If he had gotten a decent run (i.e. stayed at the Broncs) like he did in 08 then who knows what he could've become today. In hindsight he made some bad choices and I doubt he'll have too much of a 1st grade career left sadly, even at only 26. Only place he'd get back to anywhere near his 08 self apart from here (which is a slim chance anyway if he ever gets a run), would be Melbourne

Valid points. Perhaps it was simply a case of not have the right support around him. From memory, the Warriors signed him as a FB, which was a mistake. Had he played winger for them, maybe he could have kicked on.

He was talented, he had speed, step, positioning, support play and plenty of confidence with the great team around him in 2008.

I honestly believe if he was given another shot, injury free, and found that confidence again he could get back to that level. Sadly he doesn't seem to have the ticker and would rather get pissed and take selfies these days.

We'll never know unfortunately. Saying he wasn't talented was a little rough of me tbh, because he clearly was. I just think he was made to look a heap better than he actually was. I'm not a Kemp hater btw, I'd love to see him there instead of Marantrataratarr. He actually features in one of my favourite Broncos wins in recent memory. Still get a chill everytime I watch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That highlights video highlighted how important KHunt was to our backline movements. We really need that ball playing speed man at the back again to link in with Ben Hunt for next season. Barba is just that man and I am so excited by that possibility.

At one point in the commentary, Ray Warren says, "That's why Brisbane have scored the most long range tries this season." Well, this season we've scored the least amount of long range tries, and I think the number is 1 or 2.

That video also highlights the importance of a winger with speed who is determined every time they get the ball to find the try line, no matter what.

Anyone notice how well the "ranga nuffie" was playing at the time...? :blink:

**** me, I found that video depressing but uplifting at the same time haha...this year we really have been just a shadow of the powerhouse we've been in the past :crying: There was some genuinely beautiful footy there, and not just Locky...Eastwood putting in a chip kick, Wallace with quick hands(?!?!?!), KHunt in pretty much everything... The two main things we lack are speed and support play, big time too IMO.

Sure did. Looks to me like a coaching issue. What a difference 'structure' in attack makes.

Structure, so good to see, players in motion, aware of where everyone is, watching and supporting the ball runner, aware of the expected and unexpected. That back line was awesome

When you had Lockyer, you also had structure and on field coaching. We need him back as an attacking coach. Griffin should stick to defence or whatever. Kearney, pls go.

The Broncos took a dump on his face career wise, unfortunately. Both the club and him need to move on.

When you had Lockyer, you also had structure and on field coaching. We need him back as an attacking coach. Griffin should stick to defence or whatever. Kearney, pls go.

Definitely.

That video also highlights the importance of a winger with speed who is determined every time they get the ball to find the try line, no matter what.
which is why i laughed at people suggesting that israel folau wasnt worth the money we paid him. top class wingers are hard to come by, and ever so vital to a team. israel folau was a guaranteed try a game, and a guaranteed no tries per game from bombs down his side in defence. how many more tries would we have scored, and how much further up the ladder would we be, if we had folau this year? i dont even want to think about it.

which is why i laughed at people suggesting that israel folau wasnt worth the money we paid him. top class wingers are hard to come by, and ever so vital to a team. israel folau was a guaranteed try a game, and a guaranteed no tries per game from bombs down his side in defence. how many more tries would we have scored, and how much further up the ladder would we be, if we had folau this year? i dont even want to think about it.

I'd wonder the same about a healthy Yow Yeh.

I'd wonder the same about a healthy Yow Yeh.

I'm a massive Yow Yeh fan. but I reckon Folau was another step above for sure. I'd happily take Yow Yeh for now of course, but Folau was otherworldly.

Yow Yeh was/is a more complete player than Falou. Falou is unquestionably the best player under the high ball the league has probably ever seen, but Yow Yeh was faster, stronger and more skillful. IMO, of course. :)

Active Now

• thenry
  • Behind enemy lines
  • lynx000
  • Tmac
  • Manifesto
  • winslow_wong
  • Midean
  • broncoscope
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • sooticus
  • Waynesaurus
  • Mr Fourex
  • LGH
  • Morkel
  • GCBRONCO
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.