Kemp + McGuire Fight - Kemp signs for Union

dukey

dukey

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2008
Aeetee said:
There is a difference between pain and thinking your shit don't stink when you play for a team below you. That's the impression some players, not all but some got when he played for Easts. His attitude towards the feeder club lead people to believe he thought he was 'it' and I'm a denan lover and it hurt me to actually hear those words.

That's disappointing to hear. I remember when Billy Slater got dropped to North Sydney a few years ago, he had a similar attitude. Really up himself. That's what put me off him for a long time. Footy's footy, no matter what jersey you're wearing.

shaneomac

shaneomac

NYC Player
Apr 7, 2009
prime example of what kemp should have done was jason nightingale.

dropped for sailor but stuck with it. now he has a world cup to his name and more rep jerseys to come.

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
There's no doubt in my mind that when he was playing for Easts he came back too early from the rib injury. Watching him on the field, he'd make one run and then spend 10 minutes on the wing recovering.

I don't think he had an arrogant attitude, just the combination of playing injured and being demoted left him 'sulky' and feeling sorry for himself more than anything else. And I don't think it's as simple as 'hardening up', he looked to have lost all confidence in his ability to play how he wanted to. He probably also lost a bit of faith in the club if they were the ones pushing him to play.

Unfortunately his legacy will be far too similar to Leon Bott's.

Also, re. the McGuire thing, it was a cheap shot. Kemp was hanging on too long in nothing more than a regular tackle and Josh thought it was appropriate to elbow him in the face.

J

jjoyce

BRL Player
Mar 21, 2008
ethos is more to the point.
i see people are turning it into a kemp is arrogant story and that's why he was not called back up.
thing is if you met the guy yourself or his family you would find he is an ultra nice guy. there is alot more to the whole saga then is being said, and put it this way when henjak went kemp was done.

Ghibli

Ghibli

QCup Player
Mar 5, 2008
jjoyce said:
ethos is more to the point.
i see people are turning it into a kemp is arrogant story and that's why he was not called back up.
thing is if you met the guy yourself or his family you would find he is an ultra nice guy. there is alot more to the whole saga then is being said, and put it this way when henjak went kemp was done.
Why don't you tell us the story then?

R

Raw Boned Youngster

QCup Player
Mar 9, 2008
Hats must come off for jjoyce.
I love the way our language is morphing and champaigne corks should pop for our youth regarding their work in this area.

Jjoyce, your use of 'tryner' for 'trying to' is top shelf and I salute your work!
[eusa_clap.gi

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Someone who knows him should have linked him to the BHQ when he came back to us last year. Shirley that would have given him a lot of confidence, considering how many people were supporting him?

C

choper1981

May 12, 2010
I remember Darren Lockyer talking late in the pre season about Denan Kemp training really strong and looking fit and ready to go. Seems like our new coach has a different top sqaud to the Ivan Henjak one but although Denan Kemp is one of my favourite players i see nothing wrong with a coach having his own favourites (they all do).I really hope Dane Gagai gets another run soon because his an exciting player plus although Jack Reed looks safe under the high ball his best suited to centre future back rower.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 6039345894

kemp.jpg

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Nice puppy dog eyes,

now for the big question......... does his handbag match his shoes

R

Raw Boned Youngster

QCup Player
Mar 9, 2008
Isn't that the guy who sang 'Tainted Love'? - regardless, I like his lippy.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I will never forget that try against Parra to win the game in Golden point, I was at the game, the roar of the crowd was huge.

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
ethos said:
There's no doubt in my mind that when he was playing for Easts he came back too early from the rib injury. Watching him on the field, he'd make one run and then spend 10 minutes on the wing recovering.

I don't think he had an arrogant attitude, just the combination of playing injured and being demoted left him 'sulky' and feeling sorry for himself more than anything else. And I don't think it's as simple as 'hardening up', he looked to have lost all confidence in his ability to play how he wanted to. He probably also lost a bit of faith in the club if they were the ones pushing him to play.

Unfortunately his legacy will be far too similar to Leon Bott's.

Also, re. the McGuire thing, it was a cheap shot. Kemp was hanging on too long in nothing more than a regular tackle and Josh thought it was appropriate to elbow him in the face.

Ethan, I have no doubt he came back too early. But I also stand by what I saw first hand off the field, and at training etc and what I was told directly from the Easts players that his attitude was poor. Not arrogance necessarily (though there was a touch of that) but more that he didn't feel he had to do the work and prove he deserved his NRL spot back. And again one of the coaching staff at Wynnum has said pretty much the same thing this year - his attitude to training and proving himself has been poor.

J

jjoyce

BRL Player
Mar 21, 2008
okay so he played with three broken ribs all last year and he was telling people something was wrong and noone believed him and you hear he had a poor attitude and didn't seemed motivated to get back into NRL - what are you talking about? you heard 3rd and 4th hand that he had a bad attitude and then find out the situation he was in, doesn't that explain it for you? try and put yourself in his shoes do you have any idea what that would have been like?
then he gets shafted again after training the whole preseason in the wing position is told by henjack the spot is his he just needs to be fit and then 2 weeks out the coach gets sacked, the kid that was dropped from the squad because of his attitude is brought straight back in over the top and hes shafted to q cup and then when the kid is dropped they bring in a centre from the 20s straight into the wing spot who then also gets dropped. and you here from a couple of blokes at training he isn't working hard enough to get back in whilst the whole time he was in negotiations to leave because he was basically shown by the new coach he didn't have a shot of getting back in.
he was talked up in preseason by lockyer and henjack because of the way he was training and gets on with all the boys.
and btw he came back 4 weeks after 3 broken ribs a punctured lung and a week in hospital to play nrl - that's pretty amazing to me.
have a think about it.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Aldo
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Froosh
  • Canga
  • sooticus
  • Brocko
  • Dash
  • davidp
  • jd87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.