OFFICIAL Kevin Walters Steps Down As Broncos Coach

There are some ridiculous suggestions in this thread.

We are a big club, and should act like it. This is a ruthless but necessary decision. And I applaud them for doing so. Better to do it now than waste another season.

We all think Kevvie is a good bloke, and wish him well. But he was always way out his depth.

BA or Madge might be a short term solution.

I don't think there is any chance we go for an inexperienced coach. I'd be very surprised if they don't at least have a crack at big fish or two before even considering the likes of Hannay.

To me, of the big name coaches, Robbo is about the only one remotely possible, and its a stretch. He is stale at the Roosters and they need a mini rebuild. Would he sever ties with Uncle Nick ? 5 years on huge money might test that loyalty.

Doing it now gives us time to search for the right coach. Bravo.

Oink!

Obviously all we can do is speculate, none of us are insiders, but there had to be some serious angst among the playing group around certain things. Kev's style of coaching definitely was one of them, but the nepotism around Billy had to be part of it too. The Cleary's get away with it because the success they have produced together silences all possible criticism. Kev and Billy simply don't carry the same level of credibility or gravitas.
What? What an odd comparison.

They don't get away with anything because Nathan is the best player in the world and the club still wins when he doesn't play.

In the fasion in which he was sacked they would HAVE to have somebody lined up. If they still weren't sure who they were gonna get then you just let Kevie have 25 until you have found someone
I assume so but looking at what that could potentially be given what is around isn't really giving me confidence.

Trent Barrett? No thanks. Maybe a Josh Hannay who hasn’t demonstrated failure at this level before. Fine pickle they are in again the Broncs.

Obligatory

Obviously all we can do is speculate, none of us are insiders, but there had to be some serious angst among the playing group around certain things. Kev's style of coaching definitely was one of them, but the nepotism around Billy had to be part of it too. The Cleary's get away with it because the success they have produced together silences all possible criticism. Kev and Billy simply don't carry the same level of credibility or gravitas.

I have no doubt we will hear over the coming days or weeks that Billy wants to leave, and I doubt the club will stand in his way. Mozer will be starting 9 next year. He is a bloody good player, but still very young. I hope he is ready for it.
Going by past history in the last 8 or so years at this club I don't think the Board is that connected to understanding the player POV though, DD is the outlier here being the New guy that has came in since the past issues with that so you would hope that this was done with that in mind.

Hope being a key word here, because this could be a long term disaster if it isn't.

Going by past history in the last 8 or so years at this club I don't think the Board is that connected to understanding the player POV though, DD is the outlier here being the New guy that has came in since the past issues with that so you would hope that this was done with that in mind.

If they had the right people doing the review, they really don't have to. Whoever it was, they go to the board and deliver their report as they see it. "Of the 35 players we interviewed, such and such percentage delivered an unfavorable view on Kev's coaching abilities", or something to that affect.

Just that line alone is enough to sink Kev. And that is before they get into statistics.

If they had the right people doing the review, they really don't have to. Whoever it was, they go to the board and deliver their report as they see it. "Of the 35 players we interviewed, such and such percentage delivered an unfavorable view on Kev's coaching abilities", or something to that affect.

Just that line alone is enough to sink Kev. And that is before they get into statistics.
Assuming that's how the review went, they certainly didn't do that when Bennett left.

Saying this then dropping one of the most ridiculous suggestions in the thread. I like it

should we start at the bottom of the list? We are the friggin Broncos, you start at the top !

There is what? 4 top coaches? Bennett, Bellamy, Cleary and Robbo. At least I can see "some" logic in them going after Robbo, and agreed, its a longshot.

Active Now

• Alec
  • RodF
  • Swordfish
  • Brotherdu
  • Reds2011
  • Financeguy
  • Nightwatchman
  • Waynesaurus
  • mitch222
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Fitzy
  • ezpz
  • Maroon4life
  • Mick_Hancock
  • eggstar10
  • Hoshsie
  • leish107
  • Tmac
  • theshed
  • Santa
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.