OFFICIAL Kevin Walters Steps Down As Broncos Coach

I'm also not on the Maguire train at all. He burns his teams out and has taken both previous teams on a sharp nose dive. You think our lazy bunch of prima donnas are going to respond to his military sergeant type coaching?

If we are going an experienced coach, it has to be Arthur. Now I am not saying that would be my pick but his teams have had winning seasons almost every season he has been a coach the whole season, he would be a very good get, the stats don't lie in this case and he also has that 'buddy' aspect that the players seemed to like with Kevvie.

Then you've got the list of next group of rookies:
- Hannay (I'd get behind that)
- Young
- Wallace
- Parker (haha)
- Ballin
- Teo
- Slater
- Smith
- Burgess
- Reynolds (captain-coach)
- Hornby

Then you've got...Barrett or Big Ears, boy oh boy.

Then the left field ones:
- Hagan
- Meninga,
- J.Graham,
- Wane
- Lam
- Peters

But man I'm sad for Kevvie, respect what he did last year and really feel like he's been massively let down for these prima donnas wearing the jersey, they should hang their heads in shame.

It is hard to move beyond him cracking though in the back end of this year under pressure.

I just feel sad.

But man I'm sad for Kevvie, respect what he did last year and really feel like he's been massively let down for these prima donnas wearing the jersey, they should hang their heads in shame.

It is hard to move beyond him cracking though in the back end of this year under pressure.

I just feel sad.
Heavy that seemingly the review from the playing group was the death knell when surely they should be pointing fingers at themselves…

Sam Burgess anyone

No, but Shaun Wane would make some sense. A veteran coach, who has previously coach a club with high expectations in Wigan. He coached Wigan to winning three grand finals in UK Super league. I know Wane wants to coach NRL. Cowboys were seriously considering him a couple of years ago. But he missed out to Todd Payten, with Payten successful stint with the Warriors being the final factor that gave him the nod over Wane.

Probably won't happen. Wane is a untried at NRL level which the Broncos are probably looking to go away from that direction. English coaches don't get much of a shake in NRL. There must be some reason why that is. Wane is England's coach not sure if he would give that up, if a NRL coaching position came forward to him.

English coaches don't get much of a shake in NRL. There must be some reason why that is. Wane is England's coach not sure if he would give that up, if a NRL coaching position came forward to him.

I think it would be down to it being an unknown and no one actually giving it a crack than anything else.

Because we have seen plenty of Australian coaches who were coaches over there come straight in, so it's not some pie in the sky thing that wouldn't ever work.

I don't think the club will risk a mid-season coach change. They have a chance to get a full fresh off season going early, a chance to politely push Kev out while the assistant coach positions are empty and the players are out of the picture for holidays, they are acutely aware of how bad it is already, the old boys would have got their whinging out of the way early and not during a season, what realistic chance is Kev to turn it around?

Sadly it makes perfect sense ripping the band-aid off early here.

Called it.

I'm also not on the Maguire train at all. He burns his teams out and has taken both previous teams on a sharp nose dive. You think our lazy bunch of prima donnas are going to respond to his military sergeant type coaching?

I really don't care if they crack the sads about it. A "drill sergeant" is exactly what these princesses need. If they don't regret turning up and performing for Kevvie now, they soon will, and good.

Get serious, or get the **** out. It's as simple as that.

I really don't care if they crack the sads about it. A "drill sergeant" is exactly what these princesses need. If they don't regret turning up and performing for Kevvie now, they soon will, and good.

Get serious, or get the **** out. It's as simple as that.

Hopefully they see the short term pain for long term gain approach it’ll be if it is Madge.

I’m all for the good vibes and fun that a guy lol Kevvie would bring, but you know what else is fun?

Winning

Seems like people are disagreeing with Madge because of what happened at the end of his time with Souths and the Tigers.

You don't think he would have learned some lessons about what happened to Souths? What he did at the club though was turn them into a side that went from not making finals to winning a premiership.

What happened at the Tigers. Jesus and a countless amount of miracles can't save that club.

If we're so concerned about what happened with Souths. Just hire him to win a premiership and line up one of the up and coming coaches to take over when he does.
In the recent interview with the Johns’ he says that a heap of experienced players and staff left after 2014 and that had a negative impact on the performances and he learned form it.
I think the same thing has just happened at the broncs, again. (first time was when seibold rolled into town)
I reckon the new coach will be Madge, and the first thing he will do is sign some hard working experiences older guys (players and staff) that can drive the standards..

Just want it on record..

When I was on an enforced break from bhq I had to read shit that I wasn’t an early pies doubter from a few posters on here… which was nonsensE.

That said hopefully Madge isn’t even in the picture… blue **** that he is… and we’ve got an actual top line coach en route
Hey hey.. Come on now, it’s 2024, no discrimination please, I’ve recently changed my pronouns and identify as a Smoky Brown cockroach, “smoky brown” for short..

Those saying our playing group is too soft to respond well to Madge, I don’t agree.

Haas is by all accounts one of the fittest and most hardworking players to lace a boot. There’s stories of him completely outperforming the entire warriors and broncos teams at 18. The closest thing to a criticism is that he is too humble to hold team mates to his standards.

No one can claim Patty wouldn’t thrive under a hard nose coach. He’s tough as.

Slater speaks extreme highly of Walsh’s work ethic and desire to improve.

Reynolds has already played well under Madge, and only has 1 season left anyway.

Literally every other player is replaceable. If they don’t want to work under a real coach and follow the leadership group then find players who will.

Heavy that seemingly the review from the playing group was the death knell when surely they should be pointing fingers at themselves…
Yes and no, “yes” there seemed to be a lack of ticker but “no” I think that lack of ticker was them losing absolute faith in the system “or” lack there of one for them to have something to fall back on.

To me it looked like a squad that had completely lost the faith in what they were being coached.

They looked like headless chooks out there.

If we’re going to base our decision of who the next coach will be on who some of our lazy, precious players will want / like, then we will end up with the same results we did under Kevvie. This team badly needs structure, discipline and grit to create a platform for our playmakers to thrive.

Brad Arthur is not the answer, and I don’t think Slater has shown anything to suggest he could coach at NRL level yet. I have reservations about McGuire, but I can understand the appeal and agree it’s the most logical fit.

I think moving on from Kevvie was the right call BUT if they have done it without a suitable replacement already selected and ready to substitute right away then I don’t understand the timing at all.

In all the pages of this thread I’ve seen mention of the Walker brothers, who were previously considered coaching candidates before Kevvie - are they no longer a viable option?

I do remember giving Cleary (snr) shit back in the day for not being able to coach… not sure if it was on here or just to irl friends but yeah I got that one wrong 😑
Can he? Or does he just have a generational squad?

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • HarryAllan7
  • Bucking Beads
  • johnny plath
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • john1420
  • Tmac
  • Gaz
  • Skyblues87
  • HVbronco
  • broncoscope
  • Dash
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Ffs...
  • Xzei
  • jd87
  • the_next
  • Pigskin
  • mrslong
  • Aldo
... and 43 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.