THE COACH Kevin Walters

Reynolds isn’t doing much strategic kicking, which is worrying. He isn’t getting any support from the spine though which would help and leads to my second point, we don’t play as a team. That is the big difference between us and the Cows for example - our players look like they barely know each other.

That's probably closer to the truth than you realize. The playing group have their little cliques that they hang out and get along with and don't really give a shit about the rest. It's been a problem since the early Seibold days. When Reynolds scored that try he had two players who rushed up to celebrate with him while the rest just meandered around doing nothing.

That's probably closer to the truth than you realize. The playing group have their little cliques that they hang out and get along with and don't really give a shit about the rest. It's been a problem since the early Seibold days. When Reynolds scored that try he had two players who rushed up to celebrate with him while the rest just meandered around doing nothing.

Every team has that I would imagine. They look like they don’t train on the same field, at the same club. Kev touted one of his main strengths being team building and bonding - I don’t see it.

You forget how far Seibold had dropped this club off the cliff...

for me last year was a right off, it was used to basically clear out the players we needed gone.

IMO this is now year one, game 4
No that is crap and you are being an apologist for ineptitude.

Someone with actual coaching ability would have us showing some signs of having an attacking and defensive structure. We consistently are showing the opposite.

KW has had two off-seasons, a full season and four games and we still look like a team of complete strangers.

KW cannot articulate in a press conference, if is the same as that in front of the players, it explains why we are playing the way we are and look the way we do.

I don't see what the issue is with his presser? He can't really bag out the refs after the game without looking like a sook but he didn't just let it slide, he said they would look at it all and then go back to them. He mentioned any player being put on report 4 times isn't good. He mentioned discipline and ball control isn't good enough and he is right, it is a simple fix but he can't get in the idiots on the field heads if they are just too dumb, which they do seem to be.

I get the sense Kevvie will make changes for next week. He has to anyway due to injuries. I really don't see what the problem with his presser this week is.

Give him a bit more time, if it is still a rabble by round 10, yep pull the plug but do the same with some players.

The problem for me currently with Kev is that while we might not have the troops to win a premiership, we do have the troops to perfom much better then we are.

We are doing the simple things very poorly. Passes are around players ankles or above their heads or behind the target. Forwards hitting the ball up from a standing start. Set plays been so badly timed that we have to pull out as not to cause an obstruction.

The reynolds kicking game worries me too the fact he seems to be always bombing it, i don't know if he's managed a repeat set for us yet but that is his strength. Which tells me maybe he's been instructed just to bomb shit out of it every kick.

Poor line speed and poor discipline as well which ultimately your coach should be controlling. Maybe not so much discipline but line speed would be something that the coach instructs them to control and it would appear they aren't been told to have fast line speed.

All the well coached teams do the simple things as second nature they practice them and have them drummed into them so much.
In the games so far this year we haven't really been in the best attacking positions to even attempt to get repeat sets off the back of Reynolds short kicking game. I think there was one point to today's game where we only had 11 tackles in the opposition's half.

We aren't practising the shit passes, dropped balls and poor discipline etc at training that's all on the players not Kevvie.
If one player doesn't get to the point he needs to run to for example - how Carrigan was running sideways or Haas trying to carry 4 blokes over the line and not to the point he needs to be at that throws the hole set play off. That's one thing James does well he runs to find his front, quick play the ball to set up for the next play.
Capewell to an extent but nobody else is leading the line speed, someone needs to step up and say boys follow me the players need to take it upon themselves to do that.. Kev can't just pull a name out of a hat before the game and nominate someone to do it.

Why we extended KW in the preseason is beyond me. No other club was trying to sign him.
I do believe there are performance clauses however, so that may be something.
Unfortunately no other candidate stands out.
If we are being honest, no other coach besides WB has been able to succeed here.
There seems to be some sort of aura around the club. Every player that leaves seems to grow a leg when they play against us.

We are undoubtedly a shadow of this once great club.

There are some candidates around but Kevvie deserves at least until round 10. His issue is also that he has a truly dumb team. When you aren’t a great coach, it makes it harder when you have a team that doesn’t listen and is lazy.
I reckon the candidates worth discussion are:
Shane Flanagan
Cameron Ciraldo
Jason Ryles
Kristian Wolf
Adrian Lam
Justin Hodges
Billy Slater
Brett Hodgson
Shaun Wane
Josh Hannay
John Morris
Neil Henry
Someone from Q Cup

There is a bit available even though it will probably be Paul Green

There are some candidates around but Kevvie deserves at least until round 10. His issue is also that he has a truly dumb team. When you aren’t a great coach, it makes it harder when you have a team that doesn’t listen and is lazy.
Shane Flanagan
Cameron Ciraldo
Jason Ryles
Kristian Wolf
Adrian Lam
Justin Hodges
Billy Slater
Brett Hodgson
Shaun Wane
Josh Hannay
John Morris
Neil Henry
Someone from Q Cup

No more people that were at the club in the last 20 odd years.

Shane Flanagan
Cameron Ciraldo
Jason Ryles
Kristian Wolf
Adrian Lam
Justin Hodges
Billy Slater
Brett Hodgson
Shaun Wane
Josh Hannay
John Morris
Neil Henry
Someone from Q Cup

On the dumb team point, Staggs, Carrigan, Hetherington, Niu, Kelly, Robati,Gamble and others all extended while under Kev, attempts are being made to extend Farnworth, Cobbo, Haas. He brought in James, Capewell, Billy, Reynolds, Lee, etc.

Of the current players you could only really suggest that maybe Flegler, Turpin and Oates may not be wanted but you’d think that he mustn’t think they’re that dumb because he keeps picking them.

So either the team has actively tried to retain dumb players or they’re dumb because they’re not being coached well.

Shane Flanagan
Cameron Ciraldo
Jason Ryles
Kristian Wolf
Adrian Lam
Justin Hodges
Billy Slater
Brett Hodgson
Shaun Wane
Josh Hannay
John Morris
Neil Henry
Someone from Q Cup

In an ideal world you’d hire assistant coaches Ciraldo and Henry.

As top job replacements: Wolff or Flanagan.

Madge will likely be available soon too.

On the dumb team point, Staggs, Carrigan, Hetherington, Niu, Kelly, Robati,Gamble and others all extended while under Kev, attempts are being made to extend Farnworth, Cobbo, Haas. He brought in James, Capewell, Billy, Reynolds, Lee, etc.

Of the current players you could only really suggest that maybe Flegler, Turpin and Oates may not be wanted but you’d think that he mustn’t think they’re that dumb because he keeps picking them.

So either the team has actively tried to retain dumb players or they’re dumb because they’re not being coached well.

Again, I know I’m coming across as defending Kevvie here but I have the same massive concerns everyone else does. I’m simply saying that the replacement, if we indeed go for one, needs to 1. Not be Paul Green and 2. Be a coach with a decent record / defense reputation. I also think you can’t punt Kevvie yet, we need to see how he responds to the last two weeks and the seemingly now downward trajectory. Round 10 gives us enough time to see if this team is turning it around or is in free fall. If it’s in free fall, make the change.

In an ideal world you’d hire assistant coaches Ciraldo and Henry.

As top job replacements: Wolff or Flanagan.

Madge will likely be available soon too.

I don’t like Flanagan but listening to him during the game yesterday, he was talking like a guy who had ideas on accountability and what the team is doing wrong and how to fix it, he’s boring to listen to but he had some really good points. I’d be at least asking single questions if he would be interested in coaching again. I’d also absolutely be bringing in Ciraldo or Henry or maybe even both (dependent of course on availability).

Again, I know I’m coming across as defending Kevvie here but I have the same massive concerns everyone else does. I’m simply saying that the replacement, if we indeed go for one, needs to 1. Not be Paul Green and 2. Be a coach with a decent record / defense reputation. I also think you can’t punt Kevvie yet, we need to see how he responds to the last two weeks and the seemingly now downward trajectory. Round 10 gives us enough time to see if this team is turning it around or is in free fall. If it’s in free fall, make the change.
Yep, totally agree regarding the coaching. I was more making a seperate point. The club seems to think the playing group is good enough and Ikin has said as much too. Their actions back this up so if they playing group isn’t winning or improving than there’s no one to blame but the football department.

I not only agree he should get to round 10, I actually think he deserves the whole season but the club should be actively looking at all options - they should do this regardless of how Kev is travelling.

One final point though is that he doesn’t need to respond to the last 2 weeks. He needs to respond to the entire season - our win record has absolutely distracted from how bad we were in the opening 2 rounds. We looked horrible in the trials, played terribly in round 1 and 2 but lucked out against teams that couldn’t hold the ball or find the line, and have been exposed the last 2 rounds against teams that will be lucky to make the 8. As I’ve said before, we’ve only scored 3 ties from actual attacking structures. 20+ less points for than this time last season.

Yep, totally agree regarding the coaching. I was more making a seperate point. The club seems to think the playing group is good enough and Ikin has said as much too. Their actions back this up so if they playing group isn’t winning or improving than there’s no one to blame but the football department.

I not only agree he should get to round 10, I actually think he deserves the whole season but the club should be actively looking at all options - they should do this regardless of how Kev is travelling.

One final point though is that he doesn’t need to respond to the last 2 weeks. He needs to respond to the entire season - our win record has absolutely distracted from how bad we were in the opening 2 rounds. We looked horrible in the trials, played terribly in round 1 and 2 but lucked out against teams that couldn’t hold the ball or find the line, and have been exposed the last 2 rounds against teams that will be lucky to make the 8. As I’ve said before, we’ve only scored 3 ties from actual attacking structures. 20+ less points for than this time last season.

I think we showed a fair amount of grit in the first two wins without looking polished at all in attack. Also if we are anywhere near last by round ten Kev gets the boot imo.

Unread

Active Now

• Scorchie
  • Waynesaurus
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Bish
  • Broncs1459
  • mrslong
  • Sproj
  • Mr Fourex
  • whykickamoocow
  • Wolfie
  • broncos4life
  • Wendall Taylor
  • NSW stables
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • Fatboy
  • ozzball
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Strop
  • Financeguy
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.