Knights set to sign Ben Hunt

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I didn't see the Storm game, but FTR, Hunt received a 4/10 in the RLW player ratings

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I didn't see the Storm game, but FTR, Hunt received a 4/10 in the RLW player ratings

Stagg recieved a 3, he was barely on because of injury and when he was on he played well, RLW player ratings are questionable at the best of times.

Last edited:
Meat77

Meat77

NRL Player
Feb 10, 2010
Objectively Wallace was given a chance to develop correctly at the Panthers, Hunt on the otherhand wasn't even given the opportunity to develop from the Under 20's to the Queensland Cup at a time he showed real potential, instead of correctly developing him through the Queensland Cup in the position his best suited they instead rushed him into first grade into a position that wasn't best suited for him and that can have an impact on a players development. The difference between Wallace and Hunt is this, Wallace hasn't improved since joining the club and for the money his commanding I expect a lot more from him then I would Hunt or even Norman and Fourex knows my feelings on him lol, Hunt has shown promise when he has played in the halves and warrants an opportunity to show his wares there, if he fails to deliver fine, but I'd rather see him given an opportunity then continue the same path that for years now has delivered squat.

I take your point but do we really want to be trying to develop a player that hasn't shown anything why here that's his own fault or the clubs? I still say the issue gets clouded when Wallace gets included in the discussion - he wouldn't get another contract from me if I was signing them

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I take your point but do we really want to be trying to develop a player that hasn't shown anything why here that's his own fault or the clubs? I still say the issue gets clouded when Wallace gets included in the discussion - he wouldn't get another contract from me if I was signing them

I got no problem with Wallace being in the side I'm not saying his been terrible his done some good things this year but also still shows the same issues in his game that are concerning, Prince is another matter, defensively his a liability, attacking wise his been flat and his general kicking game has been pretty poor and I do have a problem with the notion that we stick by with what we currently have because of the belief that because Hunt hasn't blown us away as a dummy half replacement he shouldn't be given a realistic opportunity in the halves to perform, we don't have the luxury of the Lewis's, Langer's, Walter's, Lockyer's to carry the side, we have players that barely make first grade requirements needing to be pressured to perform, otherwise what we currently see is what will continue to be dished out.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The problem with scouts these days is that they want the athlete first and the footballer second. The approach is misguided, it is a lot easier to turn a footballer into an athlete than to turn an athlete into a footballer. Similarly, you can have all the skills in the world but if your short between the ears it counts for very little, skills can be taught, practised and perfected, vision, while maybe not impossible, is a hell of a lot harder to learn. Alf is the classic example, his skills weren't polished but his footy brain was.

This is what Hunt imo possesses and has demonstrated in his very limited opportunities in the halves, there is a thought process, when he passes the ball back on the inside 10m out from the try line it's not a settler play, its because he reads the defensive line short up the middle, same with his kicks, they don't always come off but there is purpose to them other than a hail mary on the last. I'm not suggesting hes the next alfie or even the solution to our halves problem, the fact is we won't know what he is until he is given a fair opportunity. There is just these little glimpses in his games that suggest he is a footballer first.

Wallace is a good organiser and given structure he can stick to it, but he doesn't read the game well and will often get caught out when sticking to a structure and the defense doesn't act the way he expected, a half has to be two steps ahead and reacting to whats in front of them, not what the defense was doing in an opposed session at training during the week.

hayseed

hayseed

QCup Player
Feb 20, 2013
And if all three players weren't at the club next year I'd be happy. But if I had to pick one to stay it'd be Wallace

If Wallace was a NFL QB, he would have been banished to the CFL a long time ago. He has played at least 12 sub par games in a row yet still is an automatic selection. The Broncos have a lot of problems but if Wallace was dumped tomorrow, I guarantee this team would start playing better footy. Whether it's Hunt or Capewell, I don't care, either one of them will do a better job. But Hook doesn't have the balls nor the brains to make such a bold move and the Broncos will continue to sink deeper in the standings.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
How does Wallace get labelled a good organiser when we're usually directionless on tackle 3 when we're desperately searching for points?

He must be fantastic at organising a flat straight line because that's usually how the Broncos are standing.

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
I was told the halfback does all the organizing.

But I find it hard to believe that Wallace was the one doing all the organizing and not Lockyer.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I was told the halfback does all the organizing.

But I find it hard to believe that Wallace was the one doing all the organizing and not Lockyer.

It's different for different sides. Lockyer did at 6 for us, Cameron Smith does it at 9 for the Storm. Mostly is halfback though. Wallace has been doing it for us last year, though this year he lost even that ability too.

Pigskin

Pigskin

NYC Player
Mar 5, 2008
I don't really understand this groundswell of support for Hunt. I mean the guy has probably played 80 or 100 games or something in a limited capacity and invariably out of position. I have never seen him really stamp himself on a game. I just don't see it in him. At the same time I don't hate him. I guess most around here just are not convinced due to his lack of opportunities. But even in his bit part roles, and occasional lead role, hasn't he been given a chance to catch fire ? Surely at some point over all his games by now he would have told eveybody watching, "i've arrived and you have to pick me" ... but he hasn't.

At the same time, Wallace, whilst not setting the world on fire, has been a really solid performer. He has put his body on the line and in the absence of much help has done a servicable job. To such an extent that he's played some origin and his position has rarely been questioned by those that count. My personal opinion is that we should have groomed him as a hooker a few years back. He certainly tackles well enough and his service would figure to be good, certainly no worse than Macca's. I think he would have been better long term at hooker.

I guess in a market with limited options, people are clutching at straws. Ben Hunt at the Knights would have a similar role to what he has here currently. And will have similar impact most likely.

The answer might not be out there at all currrently. We may just have to wait a while for the next big thing to come along. And I might add, we probably deserve this sort of situation. We have not actively recruited for such a long time and finally our crop of young blokes perhaps are not going to reach Origin standard collectively that we probably need them to.

Oink !

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Dayum, some quality discussion in this thread - keep it coming people!

I'm by no means Ben Hunt's biggest fan (that's Coxy), but I'll be gutted if we just let him walk away without even giving him a proper chance to prove himself - especially when you consider how much time our other options in the halves have been afforded.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
He can't be worse than Wallace or Prince can he? Give him a starting spot FFS.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Would hurt so bad to lose a player with creativity and attacking potential, very few at the club.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I find it strange you don't see much in him Sharky. Aren't you Cooper Cronk's biggest fan on here? (Will you let him claim that AP and Qlder?) Can't you see the similarities between Hunt now and Cronk pre-06?

I wonder what Hunt is like as a trainer?

Unread

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.