NEWS Kodi all but finished as Broncos halfback

Happy with Bird at half, but definitely don't want to lose Kodi all together. I think he's a great utility/sub.

I also think Macca shouldn't be playing 80 and we should get Kodi in there to mix it up for 20-25 minutes a game.

He’s copped a bit of a raw deal in a way but a victim of himself at the same time.

Obviously, I backed him and do think that he was unlucky behind well beaten packs. The Cowboys showed he behind a strong pack. Unfortunately the pack has been well beaten in all the other games he started at halfback. Not much anyone could do behind that.

That said, his defence is abysmal and he is a turnstile. I think he could be a great 6 or 1 but he won’t get a go with Boyd and Milf there.

I think Birdcas six is better for the side overall and that isn’t a slight on Kodi. Bird just has that size and ability to get himself involved, something that lets Kodi down. The Broncs need that. It also allows Oppa to start at centre and that is a massive plus for this side, no coincidence Oates looked so good last week with Oppa inside and Bird not just being serviceable in defence on that right edge but making it now a defensive strength.

This has to happen for the balance of the side.

Thankfully common sense has occurred.

The situation Kodi now finds himself in is not ideal. Hes not big enough for a fullback and will always get steam rolled in high balls, his defence is weak against bigger guys especially 1v1...so his only real option is to be a utility or hooker. He could make a good hooker if his defence improved long term.

The situation Kodi now finds himself in is not ideal. Hes not big enough for a fullback and will always get steam rolled in high balls, his defence is weak against bigger guys especially 1v1...so his only real option is to be a utility or hooker. He could make a good hooker if his defence improved long term.
Due to his size and build his only chance is as a half. Unfortunately he is not very good in that position. Cant play hooker at Broncs ad Macca is locked in there and there is no way Kodi can defend and tackle as much as Macca does. So guess his best options are elsewhere. Shame really. As an aside the tv coverage of Warriors game showed Kodi after the game and he looked pretty dejected even though we won

Someone should've told Matty Bowen this. Would've saved him a lot of heartache...

Yes, size is a disadvantage, but Fullback is by far the position least impacted by it in RL. Speed, elusiveness and some playmaking ability go a long way to make a Fullback.
Of course, part of their job is to direct the defensive line, good positioning and anticipation, as well as the courage to defuse bombs under pressure and (try to) tackle anyone who breaks the line, including people almost twice their size.

I don't think Kodi lacks in any of those departments, and his heart definitely makes up for his size.

Matt Dufty seems to be going electrically well at the moment despite not being that big, Ponga is fairly slightly built as well despite being tall and he is going great as well.

Yeah, and like I mentioned in an earlier post, Corey Thompson at the Tigers too. He did struggle as a winger earlier in his career, but seems much more comfortable at fullback. Kodi isn't an organiser, but he's got a nice pass on him, and he's really elusive too.

Probably the best option for him would be to try to go to QLD/NSW Cup and work on whatever position he wants to play and try to develop as much as possible. If he works hard enough and impresses there he could get a spot somewhere, whether it's here when Boyd retires/gets injured, or somewhere else in the halves or at fullback. Him being a really good impact super sub sometimes will probably work against him getting that chance though.

I really wanted and hoped for Kodi to succeed at halfback, but utility might just be his lot in life. He can fill in if Milf or Bird get injured, or if a centre gets injured we can move bird back to centre and kodi can step into the halves. His talent is really his acceleration which comes into play later in the game when everyones tired as hell. So even if no one is injured, he's there to break the game open as a super sub.

I'm really liking this setup, Bird just felt wasted and over paid as centre. But I think he might end up just being a really smart purchase because of his flexibility. If we lose a back during a game we are covered really well.

Admittedly I've always been a supporter of having an all forward bench. Considering we have lacked size up front for years to our detriment, anything that alleviates that weakness has got my vote.

Sadly that clearly puts Kodi out of the frame. I'm sure there is a quality player buried in there somewhere, but if that potential does exist, he won't unlock it with us. He seems to be slowly but surely suffering the same fate as his brother at the Roosters; under performing then disappearing into irrelevance. I wouldn't like to see that happen to him, so heading to another club who are in need of a hooker or utility would be his go if I were in charge at the Broncs. Frankly our priorities lie elsewhere rather than bending over backwards to slot in an above average at best player (for now) into our squad when we have bigger issues to be addressing.

I think Kodi could make an alright half, but to get him there would take years of development and holding back a side. He’s similar to Milford but nowhere near as talented.

Defensively you could only play him as a bench hooker or half, guy would be owned at centre or fullback.

Is he any smaller than Matt Bowen was, or Corey Thompson is now? They are all roughly the same manlet height and build. Defending at fullback is very different than defending in the front line. You don't need to have a giant back there.

Slater too, I'd be shocked if Nikorima isn't around the same height.

Slater too, I'd be shocked if Nikorima isn't around the same height.

Opposition makes a line break and you have either slater or nikorima to stop them. I know who I would want easy

Opposition makes a line break and you have either slater or nikorima to stop them. I know who I would want easy

That's not the point though. People have commented he's too short to play there.

That's not the point though. People have commented he's too short to play there.

He is definsively flawed, his size is a key factor in why. Slater could be same size but his technique and commitment don't make It an issue like it would be for nikorima

I think he should try to reinvent himself as a fullback. I think he could be a gun there.

He's been tried there and failed, he is too small.
Remember when Oates got injured against Melb a couple of yeas ago and Kodi took his spot?
Melb scored about 6 tries against him, just kept bombing his wing.
He is not a fullback either.

It's nice to bounce idea's around, but lets face it, Boyd isn't going anywhere. So it's either bench impact player replacing Macca, or Macca moves to lock when Moose is off and we play both hookers at the same time.

The only way he reinvents himself at fullback is if he goes back to reserve grade for a season. I can't think of any NRL clubs that would be willing to take a punt on an untried FB this season.

He's been tried there and failed, he is too small.
Remember when Oates got injured against Melb a couple of yeas ago and Kodi took his spot?
Melb scored about 6 tries against him, just kept bombing his wing.
He is not a fullback either.

So because he got monstered by a giant...on the wing...with a completely busted shoulder...he was tried and failed...at fullback?

I mean, going by this logic, Hoffman was a great winger and therefore he was tried and totally succeeded at fullback.

KNik has filled in a few times at fullback over the last couple of years and done really well in all of them, I think even got a MotM for one or player's player, I can't remember for sure. Fullback has always been his best position but he won't get a gig there with Boyd having four more years and then after that, Allan or Isaako or insert new youngster here will get the shot. None of that means he was tried and failed as a fullback though, he is more a victim of his career timing and own ability to play as a supersub.

Active Now

• Battler
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.