Left Field Replacement for Bennett

Thorne is a QLDer and a multiple times Bronco premiership winner. Not sure how anyone could be qualified more in that department

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard Thorne’s name thrown around. I for 1 love it! He’s at the top of my list.

Wasn’t meaning Thorn is an outsider. He is a Broncs and QLD great. And given a huge percentage of the team is kiwi would suit too.

Like the idea of Webke getting in there coaching the young forwards.

As always in attack I’d like to float the Walker boys!

I like Thorn, but he hasn't even coached a full season yet, has he? It doesn't sound like the Reds are doing any good either. Surely he needs at least a couple of years before he can be judged. Brisbane needs to have some other blokes in mind too.

Whats wrong with Brisbane's culture and why does it need changing?

Favouritism, halves refusing to be coached, side not showing up half the time, players wasting time whinging to the refs rather than playing the game, players getting paid overs and not performing, players showing up overweight and unfit, refusal to manage players who are underperforming, players stagnating.

Not saying all of these are Bennett’s fault and harder I suspect to work with current generation of entitled players but there are lots of issues with broncos culture and practices.

I like Thorn, but he hasn't even coached a full season yet, has he? It doesn't sound like the Reds are doing any good either. Surely he needs at least a couple of years before he can be judged. Brisbane needs to have some other blokes in mind too.

I think he is doing well at the Reds so far. Its an absolutley massive job he has on his hand there.

Lol. When I first read the thread title I thought Bennett is having a headache on who to be a left centre since Bird is playing at halfback. I was gonna vote for Oppa over Kahu due to size and strong legs.

Lol. When I first read the thread title I thought Bennett is having a headache on who to be a left centre since Bird is playing at halfback. I was gonna vote for Oppa over Kahu due to size and strong legs.

Completely agree re. Opacic, and I think a thread derail is warranted on this topic.

Jokes aside, I read the thread title and thought "**** off, Bennett is still the man, no one is worthy", but then saw the name and yep, I'm 100% happy with that. When Bennett calls it quits. Thorn is a champion in every sense and embodies everything the Broncos stand for.

Do it do it do it do it.

Not saying all of these are Bennett’s fault and harder I suspect to work with current generation of entitled players but there are lots of issues with broncos culture and practices.
Firstly, this is not a dig at Bennett. But similarly, he cannot be exempt from critique, just like everyone else at the Broncos.
That aside, I agree with what you’re saying, and I would go as far as to say whilst most certainly not all the Broncos culture problems you’ve listed can be directly attributable to Bennett, ultimately the buck (no, not the mascot) stops with the head coach.
Particularly in a team where the head coach is the judge, jury and executioner regarding the football department. Which is every Bennett coached team to the core.
What I’m trying to say is, if problems with the football teams culture exist, it’s ultimately Bennett’s job to fix them.

Firstly, this is not a dig at Bennett. But similarly, he cannot be exempt from critique, just like everyone else at the Broncos.
That aside, I agree with what you’re saying, and I would go as far as to say whilst most certainly not all the Broncos culture problems you’ve listed can be directly attributable to Bennett, ultimately the buck (no, not the mascot) stops with the head coach.
Particularly in a team where the head coach is the judge, jury and executioner regarding the football department. Which is every Bennett coached team to the core.
What I’m trying to say is, if problems with the football teams culture exist, it’s ultimately Bennett’s job to fix them.
The culture can't be too bad, he is 55-30 since his return. He took over a side that had been a laughing stock for a better part of six years and instantly made them contenders for three straight seasons. Even this year where they have been playing some of their worst footy in many moons but are still sitting at .500 in 8th spot and two of the wins have come against sides in which it is their sole loss. Most teams would kill to have a 3+ season record such as this but yet some of it's fans choose to focus on Bennett's successor. I dread the days after Bennett's retirement because it won't be anywhere near as fruitful as what we are enjoying.

The culture can't be too bad, he is 55-30 since his return. He took over a side that had been a laughing stock for a better part of six years and instantly made them contenders for three straight seasons. Even this year where they have been playing some of their worst footy in many moons but are still sitting at .500 in 8th spot and two of the wins have come against sides in which it is their sole loss. Most teams would kill to have a 3+ season record such as this but yet some of it's fans choose to focus on Bennett's successor. I dread the days after Bennett's retirement because it won't be anywhere near as fruitful as what we are enjoying.
I don’t think you really understood my point, as you’ve gone off on a bit of a tangent - but each to their own.
Further, I don’t really care what other teams would be happy with, I don’t support other teams. I support the Broncos, and like it or not, success is expected of them. The players know it, the administration know it, the club know it - so anything less is a failure.
2015 was a raging success, but if you think ‘16 and ‘17 were truly successful campaigns than we have very different expectations.
I know we can’t win every year, but we’ve gone consistently downhill since ‘15.
Bennett has been a great coach, no doubt about it, and hopefully he continues to be for as long as he’s coaching us. Further, this is not a witch-hunt. But he will need replacing eventually, so you better learn to deal with that.
You can bet your bottom dollar Paul White and all the other big-wigs are thinking about it.

I don’t think you really understood my point, as you’ve gone off on a bit of a tangent - but each to their own.
Further, I don’t really care what other teams would be happy with, I don’t support other teams. I support the Broncos, and like it or not, success is expected of them. The players know it, the administration know it, the club know it - so anything less is a failure.
2015 was a raging success, but if you think ‘16 and ‘17 were truly successful campaigns than we have very different expectations.
Bennett has been a great coach, no doubt about it, and hopefully he continues to be for as long as he’s coaching us. Further, this is not a witch-hunt. But he will need replacing eventually, so you better learn to deal with that.
You can bet your bottom dollar Paul White and all the other big-wigs are thinking about it.

2016 we went downhill, but we improved in 2017 over the 2016 season, so we’ve kind gone up, down, then back up again...

So far we are tracking exactly the same as 2017 at the same point in terms of overall win / loss and while some might argue we have managed to win while playing worse, remember some of the losses early last year. That loss against the Bulldogs stands easily amongst the worst games we have ever played...

It takes five years to recover from six years of mismanagement and the Broncos almost achieved that in one single season. They have exceeded expectations and more, we may demand success but every team are under the same salary cap restrictions and key injuries can often derail those plans like they did last year. The era of winning every other season are long gone and never to return as it is simply too difficult to sustain in the modern game. The current squad is a decent one and there is a wealth of young talent who will figure in the years to come which puts the club in great shape. White + co. may have had brief thoughts on a successor but it would be the least of their worries and they will let Wayne call the shots for as long as he wants and that may be for another 5+ years yet, I hope he is around till he's 90.

You got me Fox, I had to take the week off work to mourn our loss... If we sign Thorn or Bellamy I'll laugh, even Kevvie.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-04-16 12.42.21.png
    Screenshot 2018-04-16 12.42.21.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 95
Wonder if he re-signed cause he saw his value dropping with each passing game.

Would be great for culture I imagine. If hire a couple of clever assistants to take care of attack and halves might be a goer. I’m not sure re Walters as head coach for NRL, not to say a bad choice but simply a feeling. Green would be good as proven at Nrl level.

Really want a QLDer don’t think an outsider who hasn’t got runs on the board for Broncs or QLD would get the media grace and player support. Hard ask whoever replacing Bennett for multiple reasons suspect some good some bad.

I really don't view Green as proven at NRL level

I know he won a premiership, and that's more than some have done, but it can't be the only factor

For example, I would rather Ivan Cleary, who has done wonders with very little talent, than Green who managed a premiership with the greatest halfback in the world and the greatest forward.

Just my 2c

The other potential benefit to signing someone like Thorne, who would be regarded as an NRL rookie coach, is that it provides a justification for putting Bennett into some overarching coaching mentor role, so we retain the benefit of his experience, but he no longer has to carry a full-time work load. That is, if he was interested in such a role and whoever the coach is has no objections. Keep Bennett in that role for 2 at the most 3 years and then as long as the coach is cutting it, cut the strings.

The other potential benefit to signing someone like Thorne, who would be regarded as an NRL rookie coach, is that it provides a justification for putting Bennett into some overarching coaching mentor role, so we retain the benefit of his experience, but he no longer has to carry a full-time work load. That is, if he was interested in such a role and whoever the coach is has no objections. Keep Bennett in that role for 2 at the most 3 years and then as long as the coach is cutting it, cut the strings.

This would be the best handover method int he future i agree.

Active Now

• Bongo
  • Allo
  • Fatboy
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • ezpz
  • Jedhead
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • NSW stables
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • jd87
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Fitzy
  • broncotville
  • Dony Eliakim
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.