Left Field Replacement for Bennett

Without wanting to add more fuel to the fire.. @Smokin' Joe has been liking every post relating to Craig Bellamy as the replacement to Wayne Bennett, and has also mentioned it a few times recently.

How fucking sweet would that be? Replace the greatest coach of all time with the guy who will probably go down as the greatest coach of all time once it's all said and done.

Watched NRL 360. They talked for about 10 minutes about the broncos signing Bellamy. I really hope they make to happen! Would take him in a heart beat!!

immediately disregard anything they say on NRL 360 (unless it is Paul Crawley, of course)

Is anyone concerned that Bellamy's win percentage goes through the floor when one or more of the big three (and in particular Coach Smith) are missing? That plus he had a piss poor record with NSW against us.

Is anyone concerned that Bellamy's win percentage goes through the floor when one or more of the big three (and in particular Coach Smith) are missing? That plus he had a piss poor record with NSW against us.

Well.......to be fair, so do a few others.

I think he's much more suited to coaching a season instead of 3 games weeks apart. If he brought Cam Smith as an assistant coach it would be awesome IMO.

I, for one, welcome the signing of a coach that would prefer to have the books split than the fans opinions.:righto:

The way Kent was going on, he's making out like Wayne's losing his job.
He's fucking retiring!! The bloke is nearly 70!! Of course the club are looking for a suitable replacement.

Bennett could retire at 80 and Kent would claim a scalp. Absolute world class hater enabled by a bigger hater hosting the show.

Bennett could retire at 80 and Kent would claim a scalp. Absolute world class hater enabled by a bigger hater hosting the show.

Shoosh, you will offend Huge, he likes Ikin.

Speculation confirmed: Wayne Bennett slept with Paul kents wife & killed his dog. The salt he has towards Bennett is next level. It's incredible how relentless it is. Night after night on 360 he reiterates how he has lost his ability to coach, the broncos don't want him, and he has made some terrible decisions and no one in the game respects him. EVERY single night, it's actually a little sad

I used to really enjoy that show, apart from Rothfield anyway. I was even happy to tolerate Kent and Ikin but I just can't watch it anymore. I'm happy for my club to be trashed every now and then, it's been going on for 30yrs, but this is every.....single....night. It's pathetic. The sad part is whilst I think Kent does hold these views, he just knows that a blow up on 360 will guarantee him clicks on anything he writes the next day so he just keeps going. He's got the perfect platform.

858f99b409e249da5e4c13fb8141614c

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy says he’s not ruled out returning to Brisbane
MELBOURNE supercoach Craig Bellamy has not ruled out returning to the Broncos, and says he will consider any opportunity to continue his glittering career in the NRL.
On the eve of Friday night’s Brisbane-Storm blockbuster at Suncorp Stadium, Bellamy opened up to The Courier-Mailabout retirement speculation, revealing he has not completely turned his back on the Broncos.
The Storm coach remains off-contract and will confront his mentor Wayne Bennett, who employed Bellamy at Red Hill 20 years ago with a view to him eventually coaching the Broncos.
Bennett’s succession plan ultimately fell apart, with Bellamy embarking on his own journey to greatness at a Storm club he has steered to seven grand finals in the past 11 years.
e39d2521417bfb92f970497102cafae1

Bellamy was an assistant to Bennett in Brisbane’s second golden age.
But with Bennett’s contract expiring at the end of next year, Brisbane hierarchy must prepare for a new chapter and Bellamy refuses to close the door on a Broncos job he once coveted.
Asked if he has moved on for good from the Broncos club that helped propel him to success at Melbourne, Bellamy was unequivocal.
“No, I don’t think I’ve moved on,” he said.
“To say I would never coach the Broncos ... I wouldn’t say that.
“You never know what’s going to happen in life. A couple of times I said I would retire and here I am, I’m still coaching.
“I wouldn’t rule any option out. To be honest, the way Wayne is going, he might outlast me.”
A fortnight ago, Bellamy, 59 in October, said he was poised to make a definitive call on his future.

The former NSW Origin coach said he needed more time to finalise his future but said he was open to consultancy work or even a coaching director’s position at any club, including the Broncos.
“That goes for Brisbane or any other team,” Bellamy said. “I just have to decide whether I want to be a full-time coach next year. I’m not going to rule anything out because there’s a few roles I think I can play to be honest.
“There’s a few things I need to decide. I know I said a couple of weeks ago I would make a call but I’m not quite there yet.
“In the near future, I will come to a decision and go from there.
“I wouldn’t just fully retire. If I don’t go on full-time, I would certainly look at a part-time role or work in consultancy.”
7e6ba28e9040c411f1838f58ecf9b5b6

Bellamy recently coached his 400th game with the Storm.
Bellamy also revealed he nearly returned to Broncos to replace Bennett a decade ago, only for the deal to collapse when Brisbane’s former hierarchy slapped a deadline on him.
“It was in 2008 that Brisbane approached me,” he said.
“I actually had a chat to the Broncos. Bruno Cullen was the CEO, and unfortunately things didn’t work out.
“There were a few things that didn’t work out. I was reasonably keen to come back home, but when we spoke, things didn’t line up so I stayed in Melbourne and they went with Ivan Henjak.”
In head-to-head coaching combat, Bellamy has the edge on Bennett. He has won 22 of 32 clashes for a 68 per cent success rate, but is in awe of Bennett’s longevity.
“To be nearly 70, he is just remarkable,” he said.
“I just don’t know how Wayne has done it for so long, he amazes me.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/22dccf63c23f997db2a23fe98dfaa35e

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I'm glad we don't have Green coming to Brisbane.

My preferences are Bellamy/ JD. Thorne is a very interesting prospect, but I just don't know enough about him..

I’m not sure I buy it, but I like the idea. Again, the media love the attention the Broncos bring, it sells.
Last week it was Green that the Broncos were chasing, now the cowboys have resigned him, it’s Bellamy they want. If Bellamy resigns next week with the Storm it’ll be that Brisbane are after Kevvie.. it’s never ending.
I would be more then happy for Bellamy to take over from Wayne, and I would think Cam Smith would be a big chance of becoming an assistant coach under Bellamy at Brisbane (once retired.) With all of Smith’s family in Brisbane, it makes sense - if coaching is the path he chooses.
Something does tell me though, that the Storm as an organisation wouldn’t let Bellamy go.
Especially with loosing Cronk - they would have learnt from the set back and the impact it has had. Bring into account that in the next couple of years they will also loose Slater and Smith. I would have thought that they would have Bellamy as their man moving forward to bring all the new boys through. He is almost invaluable to the club..

Makes for an interesting game this weekend, that’s for sure..

The mention from Bellamy about going into a coaching director's role could also indicate that he would do that at the storm allowing them to bring in an inexperienced coach with Bellamy overseeing.

Imagine the field day media would have with Bellamy as coaching director and then bringing Kevvie in as head coach...

Wonder how much more Green's contract with the Cowboys increased due to Brisbane’s reported interest.

Active Now

• mieko
  • sooticus
  • Broncosgirl
  • Old Mate
  • Jedhead
  • Shane Tronc
  • Porthoz
  • Lurker
  • maddo
  • Fatboy
  • broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.