Left Field Replacement for Bennett

The problem with signing a new coach though is not actually knowing when WB will retire.

The problem with signing a new coach though is not actually knowing when WB will retire.

which is why they won't even start the process until Wayne makes the known his intention to retire (at least to the board, even if not made publiclly)

082cec936a96b99f15a2e5ac34ec5130

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett storms out of weekly media conference
Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
8 minutes ago

WAYNE Bennett has labelled speculation about his future as “rubbish” as the Broncos super coach stormed out of a media conference ahead of Friday night’s clash against premiers Melbourne.

In a dramatic prelude to the Brisbane-Storm blockbuster at Suncorp Stadium, Bennett became so incensed over questions about his coaching future he walked out on his weekly media conference, adding: “You guys (the media) have ruined it”.

It was a rare outburst from Bennett, who has never previously cut short his traditional pre-match media confidence since his return to the Broncos in 2015.

But with speculation his coaching rival tomorrow night, Storm super coach Craig Bellamy, could eventually succeed him at the Broncos, Bennett was in no mood to discuss Brisbane’s succession plan.

“I don’t want to buy into the rubbish,” Bennett fired.

“You had Paul Green (Cowboys coach) here a month ago and now we’ve moved on.

“There is a great game of football tomorrow night, let’s talk about the footy and leave the rest to you guys to speculate.”

Asked if he would see out his deal, which expires at the end of 2019, Bennett said: “Nothing is permanent, nothing is temporary, even for coaches. But I have a contract here for next year.”

In an exclusive interview with The Courier-Mail, the off-contract Bellamy says he is open to all options, with the 58-year-old saying he will consider even a part-time or consultancy role next year.

Asked if he could work alongside Bellamy, whom Bennett first hired as his assistant at the Broncos in 1998, the Broncos veteran coach finally snapped.

“I’m not entering any of your speculation,” he said.

“You have to get on shows and talk for hours and you have nothing to talk about, but you make it up. Whatever it is. You know more than I do. I am coach here next year as far as I know. It could change but that’s what’s happening.

“I didn’t groom Craig for the job here once upon a time.

“If you want talk about the footy, I will leave it at that ... you guys have ruined it.”

Bennett then turned on his heels and headed for the Broncos sheds, but not before starting his press conference by confirming prop Matt Lodge will take on the Storm on Friday night.

The Broncos bookend has rib-cartilage damage but will bravely carry the injury against a monster Storm pack.

“Matt will play,” Bennett said. “He feels he can manage it, he did the other night in Auckland, he’s had a week off now so he’s pretty confident.”

Bennett explained his decision to dump Kodi Nikorima to the bench and stick with a halves pairing of Jack Bird and Anthony Milford.

“Jack brought something different in Auckland,” he said.

“We didn’t plan for that to happen but Kodi was injured and it’s worthwhile persevering with it at the moment.

“It’s tough on Kodi, he didn’t deserve not to be in the team.

“He is still in the 17, he’s a valuable player, we need him, but it was a tough call on him. He was really good, he loves being here and part of the squad. He knows he is valued and there are opportunities for him.

“In team selection, nothing is permanent and nothing is temporary. We are at that stage now where I’ve made another decision and we will see how it works.”

Source: Courier Mail

They wouldn’t give it up even when they changed topics he couldn’t get into it.

Perhaps interest about Bellamy was just to put out there to put Bennett off. If so it has seemed to work

Wayne walking off during his press conference worries me. Is all this talk about who's replacing him and will he see out his contract getting to him? Does he know something we don't?

Wayne cannot and should not feel frustrated. We need him 100% focused on this season otherwise if he's distracted, frustrated, angry etc then the players will feed off that and play accordingly.

Do I want Bellamy as Broncos coach? Yes I do. But ONLY if Wayne agrees to co-coach with him or play a coaching director role. Wayne still needs to be involved with the club, if he wants to. We cannot dare to cut him loose like the disaster in 2008. Look what happened there. It was a disgrace. We have an opportunity to get this right, & we will get it right. We have the right people in place to attract anyone we want. Paul White is without a doubt one of our best CEO's. I love his leadership.

Bellamy is the only coach, IMO, who can handle the unbelievably high pressure job of coaching the Broncos, he understands the expectations, and deep down, he is a Bronco. We gave him his shot, & now it's time to come back home and add to our great history.

But, I just hope all this speculation and talk of who will coach the Broncos doesn't derail our season.

Wayne walking off during his press conference worries me. Is all this talk about who's replacing him and will he see out his contract getting to him? Does he know something we don't?

Wayne cannot and should not feel frustrated. We need him 100% focused on this season otherwise if he's distracted, frustrated, angry etc then the players will feed off that and play accordingly.

Do I want Bellamy as Broncos coach? Yes I do. But ONLY if Wayne agrees to co-coach with him or play a coaching director role. Wayne still needs to be involved with the club, if he wants to. We cannot dare to cut him loose like the disaster in 2008. Look what happened there. It was a disgrace. We have an opportunity to get this right, & we will get it right. We have the right people in place to attract anyone we want. Paul White is without a doubt one of our best CEO's. I love his leadership.

Bellamy is the only coach, IMO, who can handle the unbelievably high pressure job of coaching the Broncos, he understands the expectations, and deep down, he is a Bronco. We gave him his shot, & now it's time to come back home and add to our great history.

But, I just hope all this speculation and talk of who will coach the Broncos doesn't derail our season.

Wayne just playing his usual games with the media

They wouldn’t give it up even when they changed topics he couldn’t get into it.

Perhaps interest about Bellamy was just to put out there to put Bennett off. If so it has seemed to work
It's just the old fella taking the heat off the team again. Instead of talking about how the storm smashed us in the finals last year, now everyone is talking about grumpy old Wayne has lost the back office and they are hunting for a replacement behind his back.

Classic Bennett, they'll all be laughing about it behind closed doors.

Wayne wants what is best for the game. The media won't talk about the game. He gave them the opportunity to move on and when they didn't he walked away. Fair enough

The thing that is worrying me is how easily it appears the media can get Wayne frustrated. It may just be creative writing but some of the quotes he provides them seem a little too detailed.

Old Wayne would just answer their questions with open ended broad statements until they realised they were getting nothing and would move to the next subject... at the moment he is taking the bait and feeding the trolls.

The thing that is worrying me is how easily it appears the media can get Wayne frustrated. It may just be creative writing but some of the quotes he provides them seem a little too detailed.

Old Wayne would just answer their questions with open ended broad statements until they realised they were getting nothing and would move to the next subject... at the moment he is taking the bait and feeding the trolls.

Is Wayne frustrated? Or is that how he acted to get the media to understand in no uncertain terms that he's not going to be drawn in to their speculation bullshit. They now know that if they ask, he's out of there.

I loved the bit about making up stuff to talk for hours about on talk shows.

I've said it before on numerous occasions, and I'll say it again..The amount of media attention that has been on the Broncos this year, is like nothing I can recall.
In that video from today's presser, Wayne looked frustrated, it looked as though the media (after all of these years) have finally gotten to him, he looked impacted and rattled by the amount of attention on him IMO.
I mean who wouldn't? Brisbane have been a club with an unprecedented amount of attention and scrutiny this year - and we are only heading into rd7 of the season.
In previous years, Wayne just hasn't reacted, but as of late he seems to be having his say, and its working into the medias hands.
Every morning Wayne is apart of, or creating the so called 'headlines' of these articles. Tomorrows headline will be about Wayne reacting to yesterdays headline..

Its getting a little out of hand..

He'll fake a stroke so that the media realise they've gone too far.

He'll coach from a wheelchair with a Hawking-style computer voice.

And when we win the premiership he'll stand up out of his chair and tell them all how they'll believe anything.

Just listened to the full audio from Triple M. Is it any surprise that the two numpty "journo's" who carried on with the coaching rubbish when everyone else had moved on were Dobbo and Badel?

Just listened to the full audio from Triple M. Is it any surprise that the two numpty "journo's" who carried on with the coaching rubbish when everyone else had moved on were Dobbo and Badel?
Dobbo should just be renamed Dumbo for accuracy, but as a Qld'er, Badel should be ashamed for essentially being Slothfield's mouth piece.

Whether pro-, neutral, or anti-Broncos, Rugby League Sports Journalism in Australia is an absolute disgrace. It's not about reporting on the game, it's about which piece of gossip is the juiciest click bait (publicly admitted by the Telegraph's senior fuckwit).

Dobbo should just be renamed Dumbo for accuracy, but as a Qld'er, Badel should be ashamed for essentially being Slothfield's mouth piece.

Whether pro-, neutral, or anti-Broncos, Rugby League Sports Journalism in Australia is an absolute disgrace. It's not about reporting on the game, it's about which piece of gossip is the juiciest click bait (publicly admitted by the Telegraph's senior fuckwit).
Badel is cockroach. Please don't stain us proud Queenslanders by lumping this stain in with us

Badel is cockroach. Please don't stain us proud Queenslanders by lumping this stain in with us
I don't know where he was born... but he's the CourierMail chief league writer, which is the main paper in Brisbane and Qld.

Bellamy as coaching director would compliment Walters skill set. Or thorns inexperience. Cam Smith will do media one would imagine as he transitions to coaching via assistant role over a few years. Don’t see cam smith doing the QCup hard slog.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Mister Wright
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • broncsgoat
  • Lurker
  • Wolfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.