Left Field Replacement for Bennett

This is a tough one for me. As everyone knows I'm never one to shy away from giving it to the media, pestilent vultures that they are, but on this occasion, I'm not sure why Wayne didn't anticipate that he was going to get peppered about Bellamy. If anything he should take it as a backhanded compliment. A rumor stirs about the greatest coach of all time getting ousted by his former prodigy, of course the media are latching on to that narrative when they're starving for fresh headlines pretty much every 24 hours. And now by reacting the way he did, he's invited the media to keep on pecking so they can create their own stories.

As for Bellamy, well I've hardly made that a secret either. If we sign him, forcing Bennett's departure, and he brings that insufferable style of wrestlemania footy to our club, I will be absolutely livid.

I watched the press conference.

Wayne was pretty calm.

Wayne was pretty calm.
I agree. Reading about it, you'd think he's had a massive meltdown the way the journos described it but I thought he was calm and measured and didn't get flustered at all. Just put them in their place.

The thing that is worrying me is how easily it appears the media can get Wayne frustrated. It may just be creative writing but some of the quotes he provides them seem a little too detailed.

Old Wayne would just answer their questions with open ended broad statements until they realised they were getting nothing and would move to the next subject... at the moment he is taking the bait and feeding the trolls.

That’s not true, stop listening to Matty Johns and Kent.

‘Old Wayne’ would sometimes do that, other times ‘Old Wayne’ would do stuff exactly like this when he wanted the focus off his players. He would act like he is getting frustrated or say things that make him seem bitter or leave pressers etc. because the media are too stupid to figure it out.

Once again this week will be all about Wayne. About how they reckon he is under pressure, and this isn’t like him blah blah blah. While they are distracted by that what they aren’t talking about is Knik going back to the bench, or Lodge, or Jack Bird in the halves or Thaiday etc. etc.

Looks like the media are trying to drag White out into it all now to...

Wayne was pretty calm.
Agreed, but that doesn't generate interest in the media, so of course he was said to have stormed out of the press conference [emoji53]

These media grubs are really starting to hit new lows.

I don't know where he was born... but he's the CourierMail chief league writer, which is the main paper in Brisbane and Qld.
Yup, it's a disgrace that this fuckwit is the chief NRL writer for CourierMail. Not sure his stupid face or voice that annoys me the most but, can't wait for someone else to trash this possum.

I nominate Gorden Tallis, he seems to be an expert on all things Bronco related and certainly gets along with the media when doing so, surely no one could coach better then him? Maybe he can then show Bennett how it is done? I say its time to put his money where his mouth is.

Based on last night I do not see the need to replace Wayne yet and we should not consider it unless he wants to leave next year. He built this club and he can still match it with the best coaches in the league.

If anything Bellamy would be a downgrade.

Based on last night I do not see the need to replace Wayne yet and we should not consider it unless he wants to leave next year. He built this club and he can still match it with the best coaches in the league.

If Wayne can’t get us out of this rut , we need to look elsewhere

If Wayne can’t get us out of this rut , we need to look elsewhere

What rut?

We made the Grand Final in 2015, Semi-Final in 2016 & Preliminary Final in 2017.. And we've started the season 3 wins, 4 losses coming up against the likes of the Storm, Cowboys, Dragons & Warriors in NZ whilst dealing with multiple injuries & suspensions to key players, several players coming back off major surgeries and an uncertain halves combination.

We're fine.

What rut?

We made the Grand Final in 2015, Semi-Final in 2016 & Preliminary Final in 2017.. And we've started the season 3 wins, 4 losses coming up against the likes of the Storm, Cowboys, Dragons & Warriors in NZ whilst dealing with multiple injuries & suspensions to key players, several players coming back off major surgeries and an uncertain halves combination.

We're fine.

not to mention that all the favourites (which we weren't one FTR) started the season very poorly.

Storm are 4 and 3 (only 1 win more than us, including 2 losses to the Tigers)
Roosters are 4 and 3
Cowboys are 1 and 5
Sharks are 2 and 4
Eels are 0 and 6

all teams the "experts" tipped to finish ahead of us ... all who are having similar or worse seasons to us

I wouldn’t call Bellamy an upgrade. Just different.

The best attribute of Smith/Slater/Cronk is their ability to be “on” every day, every week, for like 15 years. It’s freak level stuff. To get 3 in one team, let alone spine, is unheard of, and only remained intact by cheating.

For any other club, Bellamy burns them out every 2-3 years, needing a rebuild. Exactly like Maguire, exactly like Stuart. The Storm still do constantly rebuild, because the rest of the squad do get terminally burned out and leave, but with the spine intact and always peaking, the drop is less noticeable.

Melbourne Storm confident Craig Bellamy will sign a new deal

Melbourne chairman and owner Bart Campbell has spoken of his confidence that Craig Bellamy will sign a new deal and outlined plans to step up talks with the coach once the Storm have completed their Anzac Day commitments.
Campbell, in Brisbane yesterday for the Storm’s game against the Broncos, was as surprised as anyone by reports their opponents could appoint Bellamy as a replacement for Wayne Bennett.

The reasons for Campbell’s bemusement are twofold: the Storm are already in talks with Bellamy and remain optimistic he will sign a long-term deal to remain at club and; he found it hard to believe the Broncos could drop the seven-time premiership winner.

Regardless, the Storm boss plans to end any speculation over his own coach’s future as quickly as possible by convincing Bellamy to remain in Melbourne.

“The facts are that we are having ongoing conversations with Craig,” Campbell said. “We would love him to stay and we’re hopeful he will stay. We have two tough games within a five-day turnaround, the Brisbane game and Anzac Day.
“Hopefully there will be a time for all of us to sit down after that and have a conversation on the way forward.”
Bellamy has been at the helm of the Storm for 16 years and has presided over more than 400 games. His win ratio is edging towards 70 per cent. He also has an affinity with the Broncos, having begun his coaching career as an assistant under Bennett at Brisbane.

There was a time when Bellamy was considered the heir apparent to Bennett, but circumstances have contrived to stop that.

Now the pair are being linked again, although circumstances surrounding the coaching legends would again suggest there are seemingly insurmountable hurdles to clear.

Bellamy is off contract at the end this season and Bennett has another year to run on his deal and it seems ridiculous to suggest he could be sacked.

The club would be also forced to carry any termination payment in their football cap, as well as the salary of his replacement. That would mean upwards of $2 million.

The other option floated would have Bellamy spending a year on the sidelines while Bennett saw out the final year of his contract. That would mean Bellamy forgoing more than $1m while he waited to fill Bennett’s shoes.
Campbell finds it difficult to accept the Broncos could cut Bennett before the coach himself decided his time was up.
First of all the Broncos are not going to fire Wayne Bennett. Let’s be clear about that given what he has done for the club. You don’t shoot Bambi.

“I have no doubt Wayne Bennett will see out his contract with the Broncos. The other reason for our bemusement is we have had positive discussions with Craig around his future.

“We have made it clear to him that he is a welcome part of the furniture and while economic details have not been discussed, the rhetoric is positive.

“The other source of bemusement is the timing of the speculation — two days before a game between us and Brisbane.”
Along with Cameron Smith, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk, Bellamy has been the most influential figure at Melbourne over the past decade. Cronk joined the Sydney Roosters in the off-season. Slater is widely expected to retire at the end of this season and Smith is yet to announce his plans.

Are you blind ??

We aren't winning EVERY game we play in........we aren't smashing opposing teams by 50 .....EVERY game !!

Today's Brisbane Bronco "supporter" expects, no wait.....demands, perfection! Anything less than instant gratification, is totally unacceptable.
Wow, how very pretentious of you.
Let me ask, what qualifies you as the righteous one to pass judgement on how others choose to support this team?
The mere fact people are willing to spend their time expressing their thoughts, whatever they may be, about this team shows they are passionate about it.
Just because you don’t agree with them, doesn’t make them any less of a supporter than you.

Based on this article I will say again how does Badel have any sources within the Broncos and how does he still have a job at the courier mail.... serious question

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Old Mate
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.