Lets discuss Barba

Is it me or does it look like he is some speed back?

I think it might be that he's probably more confident/happy to be in the 5/8 role....instead of getting belted under the high ball at fullback.

Is it me or does it look like he is some speed back?

He is some speed back, meaning he's literally a, "some speed back"?

Or, "does it look like he's getting some speed back"?

If it's the latter, then no, I don't think so. He was level pegged with Reed on a chase the other night. He's playing too heavy and bulky.

If it's the former, then I have nothing for you.

I don't think it's a case of speed but he seems to be moving with confidence again. This may be due to his ankle coming good or just being more comfortable with his role in the team (@6 and in general).

Dare say he could still leave Jack Reed for dead though, 9/10 times. Don't recall the instance Brett cited, but Reed moves like a fly through molasses.

He looks unfit to me, seems to always be puffed out. I hope he's told to lose weight again with the change in coaching staff.

He looks unfit to me, seems to always be puffed out. I hope he's told to lose weight again with the change in coaching staff.

Well according to him, he said : Barba's Bulk Tackles Defence - Broncos

"Ben Barba has only missed three tackles in three games at five-eighth - and it’s all thanks to his bulked-up frame.
Barba has put on five kilograms of lean muscle this season under renowned Broncos conditioner Alex Corvo.

Barba has morphed from an 87 kilogram dynamo to a ripped 92 kilogram No.6.
In Barba’s past three games he has been targeted relentlessly by the best packs in the NRL.
Data from Fox Sports Stats reveals that against Canterbury, Manly and Melbourne, Barba made 40 tackles and missed only three.
In those three games, Barba missed the fewest tackles of any Brisbane player.
“I have put some weight on and really strengthened up,” Barba said.
“I’m weighing 92 kilos now which is a lot heavier than I was a few years ago.
“I have some good trainers here at the club.
“It (extra muscle) is helping now I’m in the front-line of defence.
“I’m lucky I have some good defenders inside and outside me.”
The trade-off for Barba’s bulked up frame is that he is not as fast as he was in his Dally M Medal-winning season with Canterbury in 2012."

I know this article has been posted before but it explains a lot, and I don't think Corvo would let Barba put on lard, or lose fitness.

Also says something about his so called much maligned defence

Last edited:
Did anyone see barba on channel 7 news? Basically saying he is worried if he is gonna be here next year with Milford coming and all. Do you guys think that needs clip was BS to get attention. I reckon he'll be next year

“Obviously that’s probably out of my control, I’m contracted there until 2016 I think so, as I said I’m up here in Queensland now and I’d like to finish my career up here in Queensland.” Barba said.

Boy oh boy, despite that only being text.. it doesn't sound great, I can only assume it's word for word.. Sounds very similar to what Barba did on Sterlo last season when he put him on the spot about leaving the Bulldogs, lots of stuttering and saying it's out of his control.

And also note how he says "I'm up here in Queensland now and I'd like to finish my career up here in Queensland", no mention of finishing his career at the Broncos, maybe that Titans rumour has more legs than we thought.

I saw the Barba interview on Channel 9 & I took it that he was contracted until 2016 & he wasn't going anywhere.

After reading that it makes me think even more that he'll be here next year. He just seems really happy and looks comfortable within the team now

Did you guys also see Corey Oates beat Barba in a race at training lol

After reading that it makes me think even more that he'll be here next year. He just seems really happy and looks comfortable within the team now

He does, doesn't he .. and why would he be worried, unless Bennett brings Boy Darius and Dane "9-missed-tackles" Gagai and who knows who else with him - none of whom we need.

As for an earlier post about comparing Barba and Reed in terms of pace, I think people under estimate how quick Reed can be.

I also think people under estimate how quick Oates is, despite having bulked up since he out sprinted Uate last year, which is why I think Oates will be the ideal replacement for Hodgo when he calls it a day

Last edited:
Did you guys also see Corey Oates beat Barba in a race at training lol

Then out curiosity why did he look so quick at the bulldogs? Obviously he put on a couple KGS but that wouldn't have made that muchoof a difference surely

Active Now

• Ghost of Vlansys
  • Broncosgirl
  • Shane Tronc
  • Culhwch
  • theshed
  • Gaz
  • Fozz
  • Howie
  • Wolfie
  • johnny plath
  • Aldo
  • Old Mate
  • Cavalo
  • Swordfish
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Financeguy
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.