Lets discuss Barba

i think, in some respect, his effort is his own undoing, in that he's pushing for a couple of extra metres when the defense ends up having him well covered and being pushed back. when he should of just got low and took the tackle (then we'd have a heap of people complaining that 'he's not even trying').

its pretty clear that teams coming up against us have focused on good kick chase. he rarely picks up the ball without 5 or 6 guys swarming him. he's no greg inglis so he cant just barge through the umbrella

I don't know about that. In 2012, he had the sheer speed and footwork to run through a heap of defenders, speed and footwork he hasn't shown yet this year ... no where close to it.

In some ways, his speed and elusiveness then paralleled Inglis's sheer power and strength.

That's the Barba I want to see. For mine, at his best, Barba runs as well as Milford

I don't know about that. In 2012, he had the sheer speed and footwork to run through a heap of defenders, speed and footwork he hasn't shown yet this year ... no where close to it.

In some ways, his speed and elusiveness then paralleled Inglis's sheer power and strength.

That's the Barba I want to see. For mine, at his best, Barba runs as well as Milford
I would love for our forwards to get the opposition on the back foot enough to let Barba run at some spaces like 2012.

I don't get it, Alec.
I assume he means because everyone knows how dangerous he is in broken play, coaches are going to hammer their sides to have a straight line in d when pushing up on the kick.

I thought Barba looked pretty good against the Cowboys. A few times i remember him taking on the opposition by trying to run around them which made me think his confidence (and speed) is starting to return.
His kick returns are still a bit under whelming but positive signs are there, especially compared to someone like Kennedy.

I assume he means because everyone knows how dangerous he is in broken play, coaches are going to hammer their sides to have a straight line in d when pushing up on the kick.

Yep, after he killed teams in 2012 and parts of 2013 with his kick returns, no opposition seems to be taking them easy anymore.

I guess it's time to bump this.

Two pretty ordinary performances in a row, then as soon as he's moved to 5/8th, we look a lot better.

I guess it's time to bump this.

Two pretty ordinary performances in a row, then as soon as he's moved to 5/8th, we look a lot better.

Listen, I said it in the post match thread, he needs to be moved to 5/8 immediately and make the lazy fucker tackle some big boys for a while. Use Hoffman as Fullback in defence and Hodges as Fullback in the opposition 20 like we did last year with great success.

Moving Barba to 5/8th will just create another problem. He won't put his body on the line so how is he supposed to defend in the front line??

Listen, I said it in the post match thread, he needs to be moved to 5/8 immediately and make the lazy fucker tackle some big boys for a while. Use Hoffman as Fullback in defence and Hodges as Fullback in the opposition 20 like we did last year with great success.
I dig it.

Milf for fb in '15.

Last edited:
The consensus has had it the wrong way round for a long time.

It isn't about shifting Hoffman out of five eighth.

It's about moving Barba from fullback.

We've been very patient with Ben because we know what he's been capable of. However, if there's been one player who has constantly let this side down, it's him.

I don't like the idea of Barba at five eighth because he isn't a quality playmaker and he goes missing in defence but the alternatives are slim. I'd give it a go but if it doesn't work I'd be testing out other alternatives.

I'll be stunned if Hook shifts Barba now.

2014: 1. Hoff (although I don't rate him as a FB or a 5/8), 6. Barba, 7. Hunt. 2015: 1. Milford, 6. Barba, 7. Hunt. 2016: 1. Milford, 6. Hunt, 7. DCE. A man can dream.

As insipid as Hoffman has been at five eighth, he hasn't cost the Broncos games like Barba has.

If fans weren't patient with Ben because he's a huge buy and they're aware of what he's capable of, he'd be public enemy #1 on here and deservedly so.

As insipid as Hoffman has been at five eighth, he hasn't cost the Broncos games like Barba has.

If fans weren't patient with Ben because he's a huge buy and they're aware of what he's capable of, he'd be public enemy #1 on here and deservedly so.

It is true. I don't even think Kennedy was as bad as Barba has been

I'm not patient about Barba at all, in fact I don't even really want him long term (as I said in the Milford thread, I want him as our future fullback).

It's not really about who's worse though. They are both terrible in their positions.

Yet a lot of people (like you) only scapegoat one of them.

I'm just pointing out what's been obvious for awhile now, Barba has been the Broncos worst player.

Active Now

• heartly87
  • Gaz
  • Stix
  • Reds2011
  • Waynesaurus
  • Strop
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fozz
  • NSW stables
  • broncsgoat
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Browny
  • winslow_wong
  • Robboi_321
  • Kev_Guz
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.