Lockyer accused of bar "tackle"

P

Pumba

BRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Lockyer accused of bar "tackle"

BRISBANE'S off-field woes have worsened with claims captain Darren Lockyer grabbed a hotel manager on a night out.
ABC TV played security footage on Wednesday allegedly depicting several Broncos players involved in drunken behaviour at Brisbane's Casablanca Cella Bar two weeks ago.

The club's manager Sarosh Mehta claimed the Broncos captain "semi tackled" a staff member outside the venue on September 6, the night after Broncos Coach Wayne Bennett's emotional farewell at Suncorp Stadium.

The network played footage of a patron wrapping his arms around a staff member's waist and pushing him.

However, it is impossible to identify the person involved in the incident from the footage, though Mehta told the network his staff had informed him it was the Broncos captain.

The incident is alleged to have occurred after several players drinking at the club took alcoholic beverages outside club, breaching the venue's liquor licence.

Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen could not be reached for comment.

However, it is believed the club attempted to use legal channels to prevent the ABC from playing the footage.

Link

What is going on?!?!

Why are the media trying to beat up the Broncos at the moment?

They are not normally in these sort of headlines. Feel sorry for you guys at the moment.

What a beat up. Not even interested in following this one.

Firstly you couldn't even see the person. Secondly it looked like a muck around play tackle. And thirdly if the guy thought he was in danger of getting hit, then why did he stand there with his arms behind his back. Absolute BS!

I said it in the other thread. Why would he be so stupid for one? I doubt he did anything.

As per the other thread. He can't tackle on the field sober, why would he be able to do it drunk.

After reading Lockyer's response and the interview with the Hotel Manager, I'm pretty convinced it wasn't Lockyer, by the sounds of it, The manager doesnt even know why Lockyer is.
What a way to try bring the broncos down.
I'm with the poster who said that pub wasn't going to get my business. I certainly would not be going there If I lived there after this. They are no doubt doing it for the publicity!

The Casablanca club released security camera footage of the incident to media last night, although it is difficult to identify the men involved. De Gunten, however, was adamant the Australian captain was the man in the video shouldering his midsection and lifting him slightly off the ground.

"I didn't realise who it was straight away, I don't follow football, but afterwards I realised it was him," De Gunten said.

LOL

Yes, this clown ummmed and ahhhed, sitting on his rear end of two weeks waiting for the right time to come out and let the world know about it. And he's just realised who it is! Impecable timing!

Expect more rubbish like this in the days to come.

Darren Lockyer swat a fly once. Animal cruelty!

Did anyone watch the video of it? The tackle may have been a gentle push FFS...

Nothing in it.

I saw the vid on the "news" this morning. Looked like a tipsy guy clowning around, or even someone demonstrating something. "Locky" wrapped his arms around the bloke in a tackling style, then "drove" him backwards two metres and then released.

I think another nightclub just wanted their name in the press TBH. Absolutely nothing in it.

Locky said it wasn't him, so it wasn't him. End of story.

And the front page of the Courier Mail is screaming today. Seriously I wouldn't even wipe my arse with that fkn rag.

Nashy said:
As per the other thread. He can't tackle on the field sober, why would he be able to do it drunk.

I thought exactly the same.

It's a load of bullshit.

I am so sick of the media atm...... This is obviously a load of BS. I don't think I'm going to bother watching any more news reports. I am over it!!

FFS.

Just saw the footage and interview on FSN. Apart from seriously inconclusive footage to back his claim, this joker has less clue than I originally thought - which is now less than none!

From Brisbane Times

Netballers drink too: Broncos
Shannon Molloy | September 18, 2008 - 10:03AM

Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen has hit back at a media "feeding frenzy" on his club's players, instead criticising the lack of coverage surrounding a recent drink driving charge levelled at Queensland Firebirds captain Peta Stephens.

Speaking on ABC Radio this morning, Mr Cullen dismissed allegations that team captain Darren Lockyer tackled the manager of a Paddington nightspot two weeks ago.

Security footage obtained and aired by ABC Television last night purported to show Lockyer involved in a physical altercation with Casablanca Bar owner Terry De Gunten, but the people involved were difficult to identify and Mr Cullen questioned the validity of the claims.

This latest controversy comes as Sam Thaiday, Karmichael Hunt and Darius Boyd assist police with their inquiries regarding an alleged sexual assault of a 24-year-old woman in the toilet of a Fortitude Valley nightclub on Saturday night.

Staff at two other hotels also confirmed Boyd was ejected from their premises in the hours after the alleged sexual assault took place.

Mr Cullen accused local media of having double standards in reporting player misconduct, pointing to a four-paragraph news story in a Queensland newspaper last Sunday on Stephens's arrest for drink driving.

The Firebirds captain allegedly returned a blood-alcohol reading of .066 after being pulled over by police at 6am on Saturday, reportedly after a night on the town on Friday. Ms Stephens is due to appear in court next month.

"There was a two postage stamp-size article about a captain of a high-profile sporting team being charged with drink driving ... that's all I've seen of that," Mr Cullen told ABC Radio.

"It just makes you wonder about ... this feeding frenzy (and double standards) when a captain of a state team gets booked for drink driving and it (appears) on page 40.

"If that was one of our lowest graded players, it would be front page news and probably on ABC TV."

Mr Cullen warned media outlets the club knew what they were up to in trying to "dig up dirt" on players.

"Most media organisations, paper, TV and radio, have telephoned just about every liquor establishment in Brisbane over the last few days asking them for dirt on the Broncos.

"I don't know whether they know but as soon as they hang up, the organisations ring us."

He's right about the frenzy. The media have gone ape shit.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Organix
  • Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Fitzy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Astro
  • Foordy
  • Financeguy
  • Wolfie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fatboy
  • Johnny92
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.