OFFICIAL Lodge Lodged with Warriors - Kevvie Please Stop Talking

Are now weak in the middle ?
I have seen opposition props barge through him and Payne Haas multiple times this season and last .
Dont you watch the games ?
True, so we’re worse now.
I also spelt “weak” wrong 😂 I really have to check autocorrect hasn’t done me in before I post. Shameeeee

Yeah cause all this talk about players leaving especially lodge haven't been around since the start of the year, same about chasing a halfback and Capewell. But yeah obviously we don't have a plan 👏
First we are letting lodge and TPJ go, then Kevvie says nobody is going anywhere this year only to let lodge go a day or so later. Enlighten me on this plan. Is it to make Kevvie look like a fool and a liar because that's exactly what's happening.

Not really sure what you are getting at either with this plan cobblers. I was clearly talking about Lodge and TPJ. Never said anything about our recruitment strategy. That's a bit odd to bring that up when I never mentioned it 🤔

Firstly wouldn't these decisions be getting made by Ikin now? Or at the very least they would all have input into it. It has been made very clear that Kevvie is to be coaching predominently.

Secondly, I think the plan has been made very clear in adjusting the balance of the team and getting in spine players. Why would you hang on the words said in a press conference by a guy that clearly gets flustered at a time that the club is negotiating these players release. What would be better for him to say? "Oh yeah we are desperate to get rid of these blokes, but don't tell the other clubs that because we want them to think that they need to pay a majority of their salary".
It wouldn't just be down to Ikin. I don't like how we are saying one thing then doing the opposite. What's wrong with just being honest? We already said they were free to negotiate, why do we as a club feel the need to then say they will stay for this year only to release one of them.

I personally don't like that it's Kevvie that's the one who comes out of it looking worse than anyone else.

It wouldn't just be down to Ikin. I don't like how we are saying one thing then doing the opposite. What's wrong with just being honest? We already said they were free to negotiate, why do we as a club feel the need to then day they will stay for this year only to release one of them.

I personally don't like that it's Kevvie that's the one who comes out of it looking worse than anyone else.

There's every chance at the time of the comment, it was honest ... but then the Warriors improved their offer for Lodge

you know, things change bro

This is an interesting one for me if you break it down from a number of perspectives:

The price: obviously Lodge was on far too much here in brissy with reports anyway from 600 to 850k. The real knock out punch been the two year player options i think is what pushed us to release him and from that perspective no doubt its a good decision.

The team: There's no doubt we are a weaker team without lodge. He (most of the time) provided good muscle and go forward up front and added that bit of aggression we lack. I think him and Hass were a really good starting prop combination and despite the saving of money our squad is now weaker.

The chip in: This is where it gets messy. Until now it seems like a smart decision to release lodge. However reports we could be paying up to 500k a year of his salary really sour things. There's a real uncertainty over figures but we are without a doubt contributing a decent amout to the Warriors which begs the question were we better off keeping him and paying the full salary for a guy who at least we know will give 7/10 week in week out?

The early release and lack of depth: Again this sours things a little more. We always seem to be helping clubs by releasing players early yet i can't recall a club giving us a player mid season. My big concern is our depth particularly IF we let TPJ go as well. I would argue we do not have the depth with lodge gone and carrigan and Asiata out for the season. This puts real pressure on an already over worked Hass.

Moving forward our pack really has no bite and in a team already copping continuous 40 point floggings and in wooden spoon contention is releasing lodge and possibly TPJ going to really destory our season and make us an even more uncompetitive lauging stock damaging our guys mental state even further.

The DD and Ikin element: i want to be very critical of this decision. I think removing the Lodge salary is a good move but the timing and means for which it happen is all wrong. However given the supposed brains trust of DD and Ikin im going to give them the bennefit of the doubt assume they have a plan here. Given the public scrutiny and laughing stock our RR has been i cant see them making this big a move without a solid plan. I would suggest finucane may be a priority or even a Sharon Woods or Dunamis Lui. Remembering who ever comes in is costing likely 300k extra for the removal of lodge.

Closing point: We simply cant afford to go into 2022 with a pack consisting of Hass, Carrigan, Flegler, Bullemore etc. In terms of props/locks these guys are still in nappies and they need an aggressive hard edged forward beside them. I would expect either the TPJ shop around ends and he moves back to prop or have our sites set on another top quality prop.

There's every chance at the time of the comment, it was honest ... but then the Warriors improved their offer for Lodge

you know, things change bro

Yep, don't disagree that things can change, but probably shows even more that we need to keep these things in house and deal with them. We really didn't need to say Lodge or TPJ or whoever is staying or going. They could have said they are free to negotiate and leave it at that. If they get asked again they just tell the media nothing has changed. It's not that difficult to do really.

Yep, don't disagree that things can change, but probably shows even more that we need to keep these things in house and deal with them. We really didn't need to say Lodge or TPJ or whoever is staying or going. They could have said they are free to negotiate and leave it at that. If they get asked again they just tell the media nothing has changed. It's not that difficult to do really.
Yeah, I don’t know why we say anything at all. Even if it was a ploy to put pressure on the warriors or tigers, you can do that by telling them or the managers directly without setting yourself up to publicly contradict yourself for the hundredth time.

What’s wrong with saying “we as a club have decided not to discuss roster decisions publicly at this time”

You might be right but it could have been Kevvie coming out publicly stating that Lodge was staying for the year that prompted/spooked the Warriors getting back on the phone and improving their deal.

IMO it is now pretty obvious the Warriors were very keen for Lodge this year as they attempt to make the 8. Kevvie looking stupid for 10mins might have been a necessary evil to get them to show their hand.

This is an interesting one for me if you break it down from a number of perspectives:

The price: obviously Lodge was on far too much here in brissy with reports anyway from 600 to 850k. The real knock out punch been the two year player options i think is what pushed us to release him and from that perspective no doubt its a good decision.

The team: There's no doubt we are a weaker team without lodge. He (most of the time) provided good muscle and go forward up front and added that bit of aggression we lack. I think him and Hass were a really good starting prop combination and despite the saving of money our squad is now weaker.

The chip in: This is where it gets messy. Until now it seems like a smart decision to release lodge. However reports we could be paying up to 500k a year of his salary really sour things. There's a real uncertainty over figures but we are without a doubt contributing a decent amout to the Warriors which begs the question were we better off keeping him and paying the full salary for a guy who at least we know will give 7/10 week in week out?

The early release and lack of depth: Again this sours things a little more. We always seem to be helping clubs by releasing players early yet i can't recall a club giving us a player mid season. My big concern is our depth particularly IF we let TPJ go as well. I would argue we do not have the depth with lodge gone and carrigan and Asiata out for the season. This puts real pressure on an already over worked Hass.

Moving forward our pack really has no bite and in a team already copping continuous 40 point floggings and in wooden spoon contention is releasing lodge and possibly TPJ going to really destory our season and make us an even more uncompetitive lauging stock damaging our guys mental state even further.

The DD and Ikin element: i want to be very critical of this decision. I think removing the Lodge salary is a good move but the timing and means for which it happen is all wrong. However given the supposed brains trust of DD and Ikin im going to give them the bennefit of the doubt assume they have a plan here. Given the public scrutiny and laughing stock our RR has been i cant see them making this big a move without a solid plan. I would suggest finucane may be a priority or even a Sharon Woods or Dunamis Lui. Remembering who ever comes in is costing likely 300k extra for the removal of lodge.

Closing point: We simply cant afford to go into 2022 with a pack consisting of Hass, Carrigan, Flegler, Bullemore etc. In terms of props/locks these guys are still in nappies and they need an aggressive hard edged forward beside them. I would expect either the TPJ shop around ends and he moves back to prop or have our sites set on another top quality prop.

This is a great post, really. I feel you have nailed all of my concerns with this. I sure hope we have at least two solid props coming in, guys in that 25-30 age bracket to at least provide depth which we already lacked before losing Lodge and TPJ.

It isn’t rocket-science, is it? Still seems like the top are making rookie errors.

By we, you mean Kevvie. Donuts has been really good with the way he has worded things, Ikin has only just started, Kevvie is the one looking glaringly like a...rookie.

You might be right but it could have been Kevvie coming out publicly stating that Lodge was staying for the year that prompted/spooked the Warriors getting back on the phone and improving their deal.

IMO it is now pretty obvious the Warriors were very keen for Lodge this year as they attempt to make the 8. Kevvie looking stupid for 10mins might have been a necessary evil to get them to show their hand.
Not great when our club figure head is being paraded as a fool though

Not great when our club figure head is being paraded as a fool though
Maybe, but means to an end and all that.
The messaging I got was the club through Kevvie saying we are stuck with these guys cos no one wants them. Not we have done a full 360 and are all in on Lodge and TPJ.

Could have been handled better sure…but not in the top 50 things that has pissed me off with this club the last few seasons

Maybe, but means to an end and all that.
The messaging I got was the club through Kevvie saying we are stuck with these guys cos no one wants them. Not we have done a full 360 and are all in on Lodge and TPJ.

Could have been handled better sure…but not in the top 50 things that has pissed me off with this club the last few seasons
Issue for me is there are legitimately things that could be left out and there’s still room for a top 50 list.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Old Mate
  • Footy Fanatic
  • rj9
  • Morkel
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • lynx000
  • Foordy
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Browny
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.