NEWS Macca is as good as gone

So far, this offseason feels like when Seibold took over. Coach says some things that people like to hear, experienced players slowly get pushed out and a bunch of numpties and so-so players get brought in.

Some players need to go, but that's with the assumption that the replacements are an upgrade over them. Hopefully Kevvie proves to be different to Seibold by actually coaching well during the games.
Which experienced players were pushed out under KW exactly?
Experienced players we lost that I can think of are Bird and Macca, maybe Fifita, and they weren't pushed.

We’ll have Kev jr

I dont see that as much of a positive. He may be ok for this year, but i really dont think he will be much of an improvement over what we have in any spine position.

The difference is that Holbrook was constantly looking to make changes and made a number of smart signings that helped the Gold Coast play better footy. Names like Fogarty, Kelly, Thompson, Jolliffe, Lisone etc. all brought something new to the club and then on top of that he went out and signed some of the biggest names on the market to give the club something to look forward in the years ahead.

Even then, we'll see whether things work out for the Gold Coast or if signing all these young prospects on crazy deals works out for them.
Holbrook went out and signed some big names AFTER he did something with what he was given. KW is not at a similar stage, a game hasn't even been played. By the end of season 21 if KW hasn't made some significant signings such criticism may THEN be warranted.

You say the difference is Holbrook was constantly looking to 'make changes'. So you believe KW isn't looking to make changes? KW hasn't made changes? The list you rattled off hardly are big names, Fogarty? Kelly?.

You say they all brought something new yet KWs new guys, who may similarly bring ' something new' haven't even been given a single game to show it yet are your examples of 'the difference' !!

I think that Kev might be trying to make the most of a difficult situation.

Looking in from the outside, it seems our cap management has been truly shit. To add to that, there's a dearth of quality players available at the moment, so Kev is just doing what he can to clean things up, perhaps with a view to making some signings for 2022 or 2023.

Being a former Bronc himself, and coach of the Queensland team, I'm fairly sure he'll have more of an idea than Seibold as to what the squad is like, the attitude of some of the fellas, etc.

I've got trust in him.

Last edited:
Holbrook went out and signed some big names AFTER he did something with what he was given. KW is not at a similar stage, a game hasn't even been played. By the end of season 21 if KW hasn't made some significant signings such criticism may THEN be warranted.

You say the difference is Holbrook was constantly looking to 'make changes'. So you believe KW isn't looking to make changes? KW hasn't made changes? The list you rattled off hardly are big names, Fogarty? Kelly?.

You say they all brought something new yet KWs new guys, who may similarly bring ' something new' haven't even been given a single game to show it yet are your examples of 'the difference' !!
Really good points.

Some people are already dismissing Walters / the team before a ball has even been kicked.

They may even be right too, but I’m keeping my powder dry until we’re at least 10 or so games into the season before I start to be concerned, let alone baying for blood like some seem to be.

Really good points.

Some people are already dismissing Walters / the team before a ball has even been kicked.

They may even be right too, but I’m keeping my powder dry until we’re at least 10 or so games into the season before I start to be concerned, let alone baying for blood like some seem to be.
Excellent, you read the post and saw the value despite it being me who wrote it! I too much prefer to trust the process and judge based on some hard evidence. I don't understand how anyone can go off, sometimes dramatically about something that may happen at some future time.

There's room for doubting someone's plan but **** me dead people need to at least give a plan time to fail.

Which experienced players were pushed out under KW exactly?
Experienced players we lost that I can think of are Bird and Macca, maybe Fifita, and they weren't pushed.
Jo Ofahengaue was also let go after Kevin was announced. He hasn't been great but that's another 100 games of experience gone. Some weren't technically pushed by were still let go while paying off part of their wage.

Jo Ofahengaue was also let go after Kevin was announced. He hasn't been great but that's another 100 games of experience gone. Some weren't technically pushed by were still let go while paying off part of their wage.
Tbf we won’t miss Ofa. Or his off field issues.

Tbf we won’t miss Ofa. Or his off field issues.

Ofa, Roberts, Leilua, Tigers have some trouble magnets.

Macca officially gone today? Was supposedly meant to be announced yesterday, saw a news story saying Kevv told Macca not to come to training.

Ofa, Roberts, Leilua, Tigers have some trouble magnets.

Macca officially gone today? Was supposedly meant to be announced yesterday, saw a news story saying Kevv told Macca not to come to training.
Not done yet:

If I knew exactly what the money(in his departure) was I'd know how to feel about it. It seemed as though it was by mutual consent and I feel like we did the right thing in the financial sense but I cannot be sure. I always rated him and would have liked him to have a great season here.
I hadn't really considered the financial aspect when making my earlier comment. I think Jack Bird's playing potential as a valuable asset to Brisbane was overlooked...if indeed we had any say in it anyway.

Last edited:
I hadn't really considered the finacial aspect when making my earlier comment. I think Jack Bird's playing potential as a valuable asset to Brisbane was overlooked...if indeed we had any say it it anyway.

Weighed up against three seasons of season ending injuries though. If we kept him and he went down yet again it would be the most embarrassing, fucked up shit ever.

Surely they’re desperate now? Looking at their squad I don’t really want anyone other than Hunt if he wants to play hooker and I’m not sure they can just refund what we’ve already paid him. So what can we actually gain here?

I think the opposite... we should be pulling the offer now and telling dragons if they want macca they also need to compensate us for the time we be paid him...
Definitely, fate has put us in a position of power for once. Time to start playing hardball.

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • FACTHUNT
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.