Matt Gillett appreciation thread

Jeba said:
Kemp would wanna be a good boot if he is landing goals from Langlands Park.

rna, I just don't understand where the panic comes from. We have already locked Gillett up for the next 3 years, we aren't going to lose him. And also, playing off the bench doesn't mean you're not as good as the others. In fact, impact from the bench is extremely important in the modern game. Gillett provides much better impact than Parker, and whilst he could do just as well as Parker in the starting 13, the fact is Parker does a damn good job doing what he does and we gain a lot more with him at lock and Gillett on the bench.

Same sort of formula as we had in 2006 - the bench utility (McGuire, now Glenn), the bench back rower (Parker, now Gillett), and 2 front rowers (Hannant and Carlaw).

And yes before you point out the obvious, yes Parker was on the bench back then, but these days he is not the sort of player to provide impact from the bench. He is best served on the field for the entire 80 minutes.

Whether that be at lock or not, is certainly debatable. But he has certainly earned a starting spot.

Jeb, I'm not panicking. My analogy is that playing Gillett from the bench next year is to me the same logic as playing Inglis off the bench.

IMO, Gillett from lock will provide our team with the same 80 minute impact as Inglis in the centres. .

IMO, we have lost a lot since Tunza left. We have a ready-made replacement for him in Gillett.

Why keep a rising superstar who can contribute brilliance for 80 minutes on the bench?

Did Brad Clyde play from the bench? My memory of Clyde - the best lock in the game bar none, was in Canberra's top side at 18, and yes, I am comparing Gillett to Clyde - so far at least.

Of course Matt has to prove himself, but playing him at centre, 5/8, 2nd row - anywhere but his best position, is fron=m now on, plain stupid IMO.

If we want real impact, then play T'eo off the bench.

I'm not worries about losing Gillett. It's Glenn I'm worried about losing.

Corey is a very good player, but not in the same league as T'eo, Thaiday, or Gillett.

As I see it, we keep either Parker or Glenn - not both.

Was happy to read that Gillett will relinquish his utility role and will focus on becoming a full-time backrow.

Henjak has set him the assignment of gaining a few more kgs and becoming fitter.

Big Pete said:
Was happy to read that Gillett will relinquish his utility role and will focus on becoming a full-time backrow.

Henjak has set him the assignment of gaining a few more kgs and becoming fitter.
At whose expense, Te'o, Thaiday or Parker?

Te'o will be the preferred utility option. Whether Gillett will start before him in a full strength line up though is way up at the air this stage.

I'd still prefer to see Gilett making the lock position his own and move Parker back into the 2nd row, with Te'o as the impact player and Glenn the utility...

Wouldn't surprise me to see things end up that way.

Nobody was more surprised by Matt Gillett's impressive debut NRL season than Matt Gillett himself.

Taking out the NRL's rookie-of-the-year award in 2010 and playing for Australia in the Prime Minister's XIII against PNG last month completed a remarkable campaign for the former Bribie Island junior, who has been earmarked for representative honours in 2011.

After originally offering the 22-year-old Gillett a two-year deal for 2010-11, Brisbane quickly realised his talent and extended their offer until 2013.

"I surprised myself a lot," said Gillett, headed for a more permanent home in the Broncos backrow in 2011.

"I was really happy with the way the year went. Playing Papua New Guinea representing Australia, that was special over there.

"It was a great experience, not just the football but trying to do something to help the people out over there.

"Their fans are just crazy which makes you feel really lucky to go over there and play for them."

Gillett played in the scrum and also out in the backline as a utility in 2010, scoring 12 tries in 22 games after coming out of the Queensland Cup the previous season.

While you won't hear the softly spoken Gillett talking up Origin or Test football in 2011, there are some good judges tipping he'll back up his eye-catching NRL arrival with another strong season.

Gillett has already been told about the second year blues and warned he could find himself a marked man.

"Last year was good, but hopefully I can back it up with another good season," he said.

"A few people have been saying things like the second year will be tougher because coaches and players know a lot more about you and they can do their homework on you.

"I know it will be a bit tougher this year so I have to work a bit harder on the little extra things in my game.

"Everyone wants to play rep football but I just want to secure a position in (Brisbane's) 17 this season and play good football for the Broncos then see what happens from there."

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticl ... fault.aspx

These vidoes are great. You should have your own thread for put them in.

I wonder how he'd have progressed under a better coach ??

I mean, coaches like Bellamy must look at him and dream about having him in their squad.

So much talent but so misguided most of the time.

I use to be a big fan of Gillet, but I think he's becoming another Corey Norman. For a guy his size he should be using it. Instead he makes half-arsed attempts at tackling, he runs the ball up without any any vigor and to top that off he goes missing for most of the game.

I use to be a big fan of Gillet, but I think he's becoming another Corey Norman. For a guy his size he should be using it. Instead he makes half-arsed attempts at tackling, he runs the ball up without any any vigor and to top that off he goes missing for most of the game.

There's no structures in place for him to follow, just get a short ball standing still and hope for the best.

Have you watched 5 or 10 minutes of Gillett's games this year? Did you watch his try assists last week.

Vertigo's post is spot on. And Griffindor also drains the life out of most of this shambolic dog's breakfast of a side, compounded by clueless leadership off and on field, and minimal vision from the centre outwards.

Have you watched 5 or 10 minutes of Gillett's games this year? Did you watch his try assists last week.

Vertigo's post is spot on. And Griffindor also drains the life out of most of this shambolic dog's breakfast of a side, compounded by clueless leadership off and on field, and minimal vision from the centre outwards.

Sure have otherwise I wouldn't have wrote that. Don't get me wrong he's a talented player, but I think someone needs to give him an uppercut before games. Yes, Griffin isn't a good coach I'll agree with you on that and he needs to go. I just think If anyone thinks Gillet has been anywhere near are best player this year needs their head checked. Now i'm not saying he's a bad player, I'm just saying he needs work on his defense and actually get way more involved. Yes, he's a really good attacking player when get's involved there's no denying that but I don't think his problems are Griffin faults.

No doubt that Gillett loses focus at times in defence but he has lifted. Since Origin, I have seen him run much harder, and hit harder. He is IMO the only player with any instincts to support and his offloads, along with Parker are rare exceptions in a lifeless outfit except when we use the left side - inexplicably, once a blue moon (or twice v Eels).

And I totally disagree with you. Any player's "deficiencies" in this side are, in largest part, the result of a poor game plan compounded by no on-field leadership or direction in the middle.

For mine, aside from his wide running on the left, we should be using Gillett (and Glenn) like Manly use Stewart and Whatmough - fixing the focus behind the ruck and setting up edge play and wider.

Gillett definitely gets very lazy at times and it's shocking that Griffin hasn't addressed this issue.

At the same time though, Gillett shows some of the best awareness and anticipation of any player in the game. He makes a lot of cover tackles and interceptions and clean ups based on his instincts and reading of the game. If he can just apply himself some more he could be anything.

Unread

Active Now

• Ondi
  • broncos4life
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Dash
  • Jedhead
  • Lurker
  • Pablo
  • Culhwch
  • Gaz
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • sooticus
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.