NEWS Milford: I want to stay

So what will qualify as a passable season for Milford? There's clearly star playmakers out there that have been in sides that have struggled to make their mark. Mitchell Pearce, Daly Cherry-Evans and Shaun Johnson all come to mind, so does it come down to individual stats? If so, what's the line?

10 tries? 15 Try Assists? 100m+ Average?
Consistency. Play to his potential each and every game and the stats will take care of themselves.

Unless he has a 2015 season I'd be offering him 200k. And even if he does have a 2015 type year, I'd be keeping him on a 12m contract to ensure he proves his worth instead of letting him sit back like he has for the last 4yrs.
He owes this club a lot imo. He has been given too many chances and hopefully Donaghy & KW won't stand for sub-par performances any longer.
He was one of our best and most consistent players pre-pies.

Milford:

“I’ve passed all the tests I needed to, to be fit for Round 1 so it’s two weeks away now and I’m really looking forward to it. Preseason has been challenging – the performance staff have got me right in the head, body, everything feels good so I’m ready to go."

“I’m very excited, it’s been a long time since I played last time, I think it was against the Dragons last year (in Round 15) – so I can’t wait to get out there."

“I can improve everywhere to be honest – defence and making sure that I’m in the game. Kevie knows that I’m on my game when I’m running the ball and I just have to focus on that.”

“Kevvie brings a lot of the fundamentals of being in the halves and the running game. He’s working pretty hard with us in the halves, making sure that we are running the right lines and making e right calls and all the basic stuff that we need to improve with our games. I’m in a key position where I can use my voice – whenever I can give advice or tips to the younger boys, then I want to do that.”

McHunt

Last edited:
Taking out his 2015 year, he is yet to justify his $1mill salary.
You speak as if he’s been on that the whole time he’s been here. Only one year of his million dollar salary preceded pies, and I think he won our poty award or something in that year.

Can anybody highlight the specifics of Ash Taylor's contract reduction or was that hogwash?
If true, can the Broncs use the same for Milf if he fails to fire.

On the flip side, we all want him to do well. The coach is backing him so I guess we gotta keep the faith too.

Can anybody highlight the specifics of Ash Taylor's contract reduction or was that hogwash?

On the flip side, we all want him to do well. The coach is backing him so I guess we gotta keep the faith too.

The Ash Taylor situation is related to the Titans somehow becoming the flagship Qld club in the NRL’s eyes, subsequent removal of a salary cap and no questions asked policy under the Vlandys regime for favoured clubs.

And let’s be honest, have the salary cap auditors ever found anything that isn’t self-reported or whistle blown?

So we get rid of Milf - then what?
Running halves are a dime a dozen, go out and find one that will provide better return on your investment.

Invest the savings into a top tier game manager (whether that be a half or hooker).

There are plenty of players that are athletic, big and fast (which of recent years we have been inaccurately investing in) but the successful teams invest in the smart players within the spine that improve the teams performance i.e. your cronks, lockyers, thurstons, smiths and johns.

Even if he shows form at some stage, we will need to remind ourselves that it will only be temporary and we just need to move on.
I don't care if he sweeps the awards, wins a Churchill medal and delivers a premiership,I'd still never ever again offer him anything more than 12 month extensions. Lazy **** will not bother if he has a multi year deal.

Running halves are a dime a dozen, go out and find one that will provide better return on your investment.

Invest the savings into a top tier game manager (whether that be a half or hooker).

There are plenty of players that are athletic, big and fast (which of recent years we have been inaccurately investing in) but the successful teams invest in the smart players within the spine that improve the teams performance i.e. your cronks, lockyers, thurstons, smiths and johns.
Sounds good in theory but Milford by far and away has the best kicking game in our team (yes, Milford’s kicking game is flawed. That says all you need to know about the other options).

I’m all for trading Milford for a better running half, even Staggs would do a good job there but I think that also means we would need to strongly consider finding a halfback who can kick to carry that burden. The idea of Dearden or Croft being our only kicking option is nightmare fuel.

Last edited:
Sounds good in theory but Milford by far and away has the best kicking game in our team (yes, Milford’s kicking game is flawed. That says all you need to know about the other options).

I’m all for trading Milford for a better running half, even Staggs but I think that also means we would need to strongly consider finding a halfback who can kick to carry that burden. The idea of Dearden or Croft being our only kicking option is nightmare fuel.

I’d be seriously considering SJ. He’s experienced, great kicking game, runs it and is better than Milf at everything. Unfortunately he has become a bit injury prone but for two years, he’d provide experience and direction to the kids coming through.

I’d be seriously considering SJ. He’s experienced, great kicking game, runs it and is better than Milf at everything. Unfortunately he has become a bit injury prone but for two years, he’d provide experience and direction to the kids coming through.

I brought this up the other day and go blasted for considering it. I’d be all for it but part of that may be that I always dreamed of us signing Warriors era Johnson.

If he fires this year there’ll be clubs lining up.

It’s all well and good to just say if he doesn’t set the world on fire we should sack him but we still need a 6 for 22 and beyond and anyone decent is going to command a high price anyway.
I don't care if he stays or not. At the Broncos we'd kill to be average. Mid table. We don't need a superstar anywhere, we need 17 -30 average guys doing an average job and finishing mid table. No more buying outsiders for big bucks. Big money should be reserved for a player who has done his apprenticeship here and become a superstar, here.

Couple of years too late and a couple of injuries too far gone. Still a really good player when fit and comfortably in better touch recently than Milford, but his being fit is an increasingly rare thing these days.

Everyone who is hoping to move Milford on, here are all the halves off contract next year. Milford and Dearden are both able to be moved on, so go ahead and build a 2022 halves pairing:

Scott Drinkwater
Jahrome Hughes
Kurt Mann
Matt Moylon
Keiran Foran
Blake Green
Ben Hampton
Nicho Hynes
Benji Marshall
Corey Norman
Connor Watson
Tanah Boyd
Phoenix Crossland
Tom Dearden
Ryley Jacks
Shaun Johnson
Lachlan Lewis
Anthony Milford
Mitchell Pearce
Adam Reynolds
Ash Taylor

1. Walsh
6. Hughes
7. Dearden
9. B Smith

would be pretty decent
I'm surprised the Storm haven't locked up Hughes. I think he should be our No. 1 target. We will have the cash to go for him and should give it a shot. This is an opportunity for Donaghy to get early runs on the board (assuming he is officially able to start work for us). Love to see the look on the Storms' faces if he could poach Hughes from them. Tripp would be apoplectic. After that I'd consider Jacks who I think still has potential to improve but is not bad at the moment. Then maybe Reynolds as a stop gap but he is more of a half and I can't see him leaving Sydney even if he leaves Souths.

Unread

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Justwin
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
  • theshed
  • FACTHUNT
  • Aldo
  • Lurker
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.