Milford's chance to stake Maroons claim

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRONCOS rake Andrew McCullough has endorsed teammate Anthony Milford to make his Origin debut, as the playmaker prepares to face main Maroons rival Daly Cherry-Evans.

With incumbent Queensland half Johnathan Thurston racing the clock to be fit for Game One, Maroons coach Kevin Walters has named Milford and Cherry-Evans as two contenders to come into the side.

And their audition will come sooner rather than later as the pair prepare to face off in the second game of Saturday’s Suncorp Stadium double header.

McCullough has backed Milford to handle the occasion well against Cherry-Evans and said the 22-year-old was ready to make his Origin debut if needed.

“He’s been around a while now, he’s played in some big games and he’s a quality player,” McCullough said.

“Anthony has a few things in his game that he knows he needs to work on to be up there in State of Origin calculations. If he gets that right, the rest will take care of itself.

“He’s obviously a tremendous player.

“Anthony needs to perform every week, not just against Daly this weekend. For the next month or so, good form against quality halves each week is what he needs to do.”

Cherry-Evans has a slight edge over Milford at this stage for a Maroons call-up, given the Sea Eagles skipper has starred for Queensland on six occasions in the past.

However, Walters said the Maroons also had to start looking to the future and he was excited to see what the pair produced come Saturday.

Corey Norman is also in the mix for a debut while Michael Morgan is a possibility to start, instead of playing off the bench.

“It’s a good opportunity for them to show their wares and what they can do,” Walters said.

“The next two weeks are really important for those guys to put their hand up and show everyone their class and ability at the next level.

“We’ve got Johnathan moving on regardless next year so it would be nice in the ideal world to blood some newer players this year.

“But the most important thing is right now and picking the most capable player we feel can get the job done for us in Game One.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/e0391e9dc6562b42f6bf1d2e60fdfd0e

Consistency is the key for Milford really and he has a tendency to drift in and out of games too easily, the test match against England wasn't exactly a glowing endorsement coming into the SOO period.

Consistency is the key for Milford really and he has a tendency to drift in and out of games too easily, the test match against England wasn't exactly a glowing endorsement coming into the SOO period.

Yeah, but he would be playing in a far better side and next to one of the best halves in the comp.

Yeah, but he would be playing in a far better side and next to one of the best halves in the comp.

He would also be playing against superior opposition then that of England and would be expected to play to much higher standard. No player should go into a series expecting to be carried.

He would also be playing against superior opposition then that of England and would be expected to play to much higher standard. No player should go into a series expecting to be carried.

He would be playing a different style in the Origin side.

He wouldn't be the dominant half, the player expected to lift the team and guide them to victory. That's Cronk's job. He would just be there to do what he does best, play what's in front of him which is much different to the role in the Samoa side.

He would have better players around him and he wouldn't be stuck to one side of the field like he was against England.

Going to be a very interesting transition the next couple years. Would be better to have JT run around origin one more year, but we may have both JT and Cronk gone in one hit.

Both JT and Cronk can run a team on their own let alone having both there. Looking at the halves available Taylor appears to be the only legitimate game managing half. Arguments could be made for either DCE or Norman, but DCE has shown that he plays his best when his halves partner takes on the primary duties. Green has come out this year and said he's playing more of a traditional halfback's role and it's evident when watching manly play.

Norman is the primary half at eels but his consistency still let's him down and I'm not sure if he's got enough runs on the board.

Taylor has shown the most potential to be the next long term half for qld, but he is far too inexperienced to throw into the deep end at this stage.

Milf and Hunt haven't shown enough in the critical periods on a consistent basis to have confidence that they would bring a game back from the brink or control the game through to the end, which would leave large pressure on Cronk.

Morgan is just garbage as a half in my eyes and has no right to be in the team at all.

The decision should be based on who they see as the future half for qld moving forward and to me that might be DCE at this stage. Has a great kicking and running game to take pressure off Cronk and will surely be the 7 moving forward until Taylor is ready.

FWIW I think milf is the long term 6 he just needs to get his game management and kicking sorted (hunt leaving is forcing his hand in this case) and he'll be a complete package

When did Cherry Evans 'star' for Queensland? IIRC he showed up a few times if I recall. Got some cool jerseys.

I think it would be a real shame and a massive missed opportunity if Milf doesn't get the experience of playing alongside Cronk at origin level. Just being in camp with Cronk and Smith, with Thurston hanging around, would be priceless for his development.

I think Milf should slot in in place of Thurston this season, but I think Corey Norman should definitely be considered if both Cronk and Thurston are gone next year. Norman doesn't play second fiddle very well, and performs much better when the team is his. He has such an arrogance in the way he plays that I think he would step straight into the QLD team as a dominant half and not feel any of the pressure. If both Thurston and Cronk are gone next year I would chuck Normey straight in to the team and chose a 5/8th that suits him. Probably Milford because I think Milf would by into Corey's cockiness and really take control of the team as a pairing.

Should be between Norman and Milford. I'd go with Milford purely for his own sake, i think he'd benefit a lot. DCE has been Pearce level in the halves so far

Milford is zero chance of making SOO in my opinion. Too many shortcomings, would be exposed. If not JT it will be Corey Norman. Far better defence and in great form. If Norman makes it I will not be worried about him stepping up.

Milford is zero chance of making SOO in my opinion. Too many shortcomings, would be exposed. If not JT it will be Corey Norman. Far better defence and in great form. If Norman makes it I will not be worried about him stepping up.

Why would he be exposed?

He's better than DCE and Morgan, but I'd put Norman ahead of Milf if we're going on form. DCE should almost be stamped never to play again after that series we lost with him starting, especially in the decider where he played at less than 50%. Morgan is legitimately one of the worst halves in the comp ATM, and has added running around like a headless chook to his limited repertoire since he's had to lead the Cows.

I never thought I'd endorse Norman for a QLD jersey a couple of years ago...

EDIT: The roos game proved that Morgan is horrid at centre. It should be Norman with, assuming Billy is picked at FB, Oates or Milf in the 14 jumper, probably Milf.

He would also be playing against superior opposition then that of England

Pffttt.......NSW??

Bahahahaha !!!

Upload 2017 5 8 22 10 52

Why would he be exposed?
Because he's weak in defence and two drop balls a game just won't cut it in origin. If the defence gets near him while he's receiving the ball he puts self preservation first leading to poor handling. That would be exposed and exploited.

Because he's weak in defence and two drop balls a game just won't cut it in origin. If the defence gets near him while he's receiving the ball he puts self preservation first leading to poor handling. That would be exposed and exploited.

His defence wouldn't be an issue.

JT is actually a worse defender than Milford. His tackle effectiveness for the most part is considerably worse. But it's not an issue when he plays for QLD, because he is playing in a very strong defensive team that are able to cover for any weaknesses in the line. The same thing will happen here.

We've had quite a few players in the squad that are pretty average defenders at club level, but aren't exposed in the Origin arena. It's the same with the errors.

I'm not sure how people could think Norman would possibly go any better. He is in good form, not as good as he was at the start of the season, but Norman is not one that likes to play second fiddle. He wants to be controlling things, which he won't be in the QLD side. He doesn't thrive when he isn't playing the way he wants to.

Milford is much more suited to the role which will be required from the halves partner that plays. His other deficiencies such as kicking and game management wouldn't be an issue while Cronk and Smith are in the side.

If Milford plays, you wouldn't need to worry about him. His job will be simple, just run the ball and play what's in front of him which is exactly when he thrives. We would certainly benefit from Milford being in the QLD side.

It would be good for Milf to have Kevvie in his ear again. Give him some confidence.

His defence wouldn't be an issue.

JT is actually a worse defender than Milford. His tackle effectiveness for the most part is considerably worse. But it's not an issue when he plays for QLD, because he is playing in a very strong defensive team that are able to cover for any weaknesses in the line. The same thing will happen here.

We've had quite a few players in the squad that are pretty average defenders at club level, but aren't exposed in the Origin arena. It's the same with the errors.

I'm not sure how people could think Norman would possibly go any better. He is in good form, not as good as he was at the start of the season, but Norman is not one that likes to play second fiddle. He wants to be controlling things, which he won't be in the QLD side. He doesn't thrive when he isn't playing the way he wants to.

Milford is much more suited to the role which will be required from the halves partner that plays. His other deficiencies such as kicking and game management wouldn't be an issue while Cronk and Smith are in the side.

If Milford plays, you wouldn't need to worry about him. His job will be simple, just run the ball and play what's in front of him which is exactly when he thrives. We would certainly benefit from Milford being in the QLD side.
Right. JT may not have been a killer tackler but he is a long way in front of Milford in that department. Milford won't get his body in front and act as a speed bump, he shirks that task. We saw only recently his disgraceful arm grabbing technique. Milf will improve but I'd rather someone who puts the effort in.

What you didn't address is Milfords ball handling , something which drops to C grade standard when the opposition pressures him. This would be even worse in Origin and it won't improve even if all but one of the opposition stood behind Milford !

Active Now

• Skathen
  • BRC088
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fatboy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Big Del
  • HarryAllan7
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.