NEWS Money or love: Blair's tough choice

Don't know about tax deduction but would be considered non club guaranteed. Imagine if 20000 members donated $20 each. Add Plus businesses who can't afford full sponsorship. Maybe in exchange for appearances for each $10000 at local RL clubs or school fetes around Brisbane so fans can meet the player. Who knows how to start a crowdfunding campaign? Create the broncos hq new thoroughbreds. Create different level of perks and target a couple of players for contract. If the hq provides the broncos merch for players to sign does that get around tpa rules about using NRL symbols? I'd throw in $50 for a tiny signed football.

Maybe $500 gets u a signed jersey with a personalised message. $1000 gets u a 20 minute Skype call. $200 gets a 2 minute video message for kids birthdays. Would be goldmine for players and add 5% to our cap.

Thoughts?

I think you are insane but good on you for thinking outside the box. There's a myriad of reasons why what you suggested wouldn't work, namely I doubt we even have 20k fans willing to donate 20 dollars, 10k for schools or RSL clubs? what do they get out of it? you would have to assume any player attraction to a club would result in more sales of food and beverage etc, but 10k worth? I very much doubt that you would make that regardless of who you brought in, unless it was some sort of dinner 100 per head or whatever, and thats not even taking into account schools - are the lads going to eat out the tuckshop? how will taxpayers feel about money for schools going to a football club?

that's not even taking into account that some of the smaller stuff you mentioned, you can get for free at fan days or by being a member of the club.

Don't know about tax deduction but would be considered non club guaranteed. Imagine if 20000 members donated $20 each. Add Plus businesses who can't afford full sponsorship. Maybe in exchange for appearances for each $10000 at local RL clubs or school fetes around Brisbane so fans can meet the player. Who knows how to start a crowdfunding campaign? Create the broncos hq new thoroughbreds. Create different level of perks and target a couple of players for contract. If the hq provides the broncos merch for players to sign does that get around tpa rules about using NRL symbols? I'd throw in $50 for a tiny signed football.

Maybe $500 gets u a signed jersey with a personalised message. $1000 gets u a 20 minute Skype call. $200 gets a 2 minute video message for kids birthdays. Would be goldmine for players and add 5% to our cap.

Thoughts?

3rd party sponsorship can not be dependent on a player playing for a certain club. So that's the end of that I'm afraid.

3rd party sponsorship can not be dependent on a player playing for a certain club. So that's the end of that I'm afraid.

I'm not sure how the NRL could possibly enforce that. It would be very difficult to prove.

I'm not sure how the NRL could possibly enforce that. It would be very difficult to prove.

This thread....

And of course the very public call to arms that would be required to inform enough people to make it viable.

This thread....

And of course the very public call to arms that would be required to inform enough people to make it viable.

Pretty simple way around that.

We're not a club sponsor, nor are we acting on behalf of the club to secure the players services. We're just looking to give them a bit of extra income for promotion purposes.

Then it would be a bit difficult to prove that the money they received was to entice them to play for the Broncos and I don't think a couple of comments from unknown people on an internet forum is going to cut it.

I think you are insane but good on you for thinking outside the box. There's a myriad of reasons why what you suggested wouldn't work, namely I doubt we even have 20k fans willing to donate 20 dollars, 10k for schools or RSL clubs? what do they get out of it? you would have to assume any player attraction to a club would result in more sales of food and beverage etc, but 10k worth? I very much doubt that you would make that regardless of who you brought in, unless it was some sort of dinner 100 per head or whatever, and thats not even taking into account schools - are the lads going to eat out the tuckshop? how will taxpayers feel about money for schools going to a football club?

that's not even taking into account that some of the smaller stuff you mentioned, you can get for free at fan days or by being a member of the club.

In acknowledge isn't likely ever going to happen but if that's the attitude we never make any progress. At very least a thought experiment for discussion.

Re schools or clubs meant every $10000 raised on kickstarter or whatever before the player is paid they have to give back to community by doing an event or service. Make them earn it slightly and build the fund service profile. As for getting things for free for fan days I imagine most of us with money to pay can't get there with work or other commitments. And what about fans like myself living away from inner Brisbane. And make specific clever perks like broncos hq merch to be signed. Make it novel and people will pay overs. Also lots of businesses or people with money who do t have enough to be a thoroughbred but might contribute for a certificate and merch to show off. 2018 bronze sponsor of .... $1000 with a s**t eating grin signed photo with the businesses shirt on. Stuff too small for a manager but with volume adds up quick and since not their manager sourcing doesn't have negative effect on their price or image if seen as money grubbing. Market it as a Brisbane public service because we love and support our team (unlike other clubs). Also If a town wants a visit however much is necessary in their allocated fund and fly a player or two in for the day pre season or on a bye week or something.

Yeah I know dreamland but have you seen the crap on kickstarter that gets funded for huge money (admittedly among a wider population base)?

As for not being dependent on playing for a certain club the vast majority of tpas are dependent on where you play. The Brisbane car dealer won't pay for a Sydney player to advertise them on non guaranteed tpa. You just have to not couch it in those terms but we all know how to read between the lines.

It's an easy decision. Take the money. Set himself up for life after footy.

The world is made up of such vastly different people :)

I agree it is an easy decision - I just disagree on the decision

Always choose happiness and job satisfaction over money

The money these guys make over a 10 year career is enough to set yourself up with, no matter whether you take the highest offer in your last contract or not

The money these guys make over a 10 year career is enough to set yourself up with, no matter whether you take the highest offer in your last contract or not

I'm with you buddy. He's already said his kids are happy, wife is happy, has family around and wouldn't enjoy going back to New Zealand. And it's not like he's gonna be on scraps at the broncos. You never look back on your life wishing you'd made more money when you were in your 30s but he'll definitely look back at the memories of playing for the broncos.

Your kidding yourself if you honestly think you wouldn't take the money on offer like he has at his feet. Especially when its such a high amount you are leaving on the table. The warriors have offered a 4 year deal at 800k per season. Best we can do is 250k for 2 years after next year. That's over 2 million he is going to have to sacrifice to remain at the club. These guys aren't paid 40 mill a year like NFL players so they need to take every penny they can get whilst they can still earn it.

Your kidding yourself if you honestly think you wouldn't take the money on offer like he has at his feet. Especially when its such a high amount you are leaving on the table. The warriors have offered a 4 year deal at 800k per season. Best we can do is 250k for 2 years after next year. That's over 2 million he is going to have to sacrifice to remain at the club. These guys aren't paid 40 mill a year like NFL players so they need to take every penny they can get whilst they can still earn it.

I think the figures are inflated but regardless, Blair never expected a big payday at the end of his career. He took the dollars with the Tigers, he was paid the same by us apparently up until now, how do we know that what he's earned up until now is "enough" for him and his family? What will more give them in that scenario? A bigger house? That might not be worth uprooting the family for, especially as they seem very happy here.

There is a point in life where you actually have enough money.

A point where more money has no relevance, because you have what you want.

Remember Blair has already had one big payday, so he is far from broke.

There is a reason that "Money can't buy happiness" is an enduring saying.

Perhaps moving to Newcastle won't make Blair unhappy. If that's the case go of course. Anybody would go for more money, myself included, as long as all other remain the same.

But risking your happiness for more money, if you don't really need more money, is not the choice of the wise.

You are kidding yourself if you think you know the choice I would make in any situation, better than I know myself.

People are different, and that's OK. If you would take more money no matter what the situation, then good luck to you and I genuinely hope it works out. But just because that would be your choice, doesn't mean it would be mine, that's all :)

Warriors have got him I think, a lot of articles today about it from here in NZ

Good signing for the Warriors if it's true... he is just the sort of leader they need.

He will leave a big hole here that's for sure.

I hope he stays he has the best offload out of all of our players and he smashes the opposition with his bone rattling tackles.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • MrRobot
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  • Sproj
  • mystico
  • Broncosgirl
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • Splinter
  • Manofoneway
  • Thelmus
  • pennywisealfie
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
  • Fitzy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.