OPINION New Captain, New Outlook for 2019

To be honest, you don't really need a "C" next to your name to be a leader. Just do your job well, do the tough carries, make the big runs when you are tired, put the extra effort in defence, and do it consistently. Even if Boyd is the official captain, it doesn't mean that someone like Gillett or Glenn or whoever can't show some leadership too. This is why we need experienced players in the side still, even if the rookies are all full of promise. Glenn has been good last year without doing the flashy stuff. So far, he seems to be a step quicker and a bit leaner this year, hopefully he can be a leader for us even if he isn't a captain. Same for Gillett, and hopefully even McCullough.

Last edited:
To be honest, you don't really need a "C" next to your name to be a leader. Just do your job well, do the tough carries, make the big runs when you are tired, put the extra effort in defence, and do it consistently. Even if Boyd is the official captain, it doesn't mean that someone like Gillett or Glenn or whoever can't show some leadership too. This is why we need experienced players in the side still, even if the rookies are all full of promise. Glenn has been good last year without doing the flashy stuff. So far, he seems to be a step quicker and a bit leaner this year, hopefully he can be a leader for us even if he isn't a captain. Same for Gillett, and hopefully even McCullough.

when the going gets tough, players will look to the guy who is officially with the C title. It’s human nature. And if said guy is plodding around and having a whinge then that will trickle down to the rest of the team.

Boyd is our captain, I see absolutely no reason for that to change anytime soon. I'm not trying to be dismissive but unless there's a compelling alternative I don't see why our most experienced player and our most successful player shouldn't remain captain.

If I'm not mistaken he is our only premiership winner and Australian rep. So he's also the most accomplished player in our squad. I know he had a shit year last season hampered by injury but he was looking very promising again in the back end when he regained his confidence and I'm confident he'll have a very good year ahead.
I agree although my favourite reggie, Taga is a premiership winner too!

when the going gets tough, players will look to the guy who is officially with the C title. It’s human nature. And if said guy is plodding around and having a whinge then that will trickle down to the rest of the team.

When the going gets tough, the young players will look to all the older heads

Yes, they will pay special attention to the C but will look to all the experienced campaigners

exactly ...

guys like Webcke and Civoniceva were perfect examples of this

Good ole Oatesy making this stink look rosey, we should have lost by 40.

One leader out there tonight, new york Lodge. Make him captain with immediate effect.

The posters on here defending captain courageous.. ppfftt

@mods you know how some websites need you to make a certain amount of posts before you can start a thread?

Honestly mate, I’ve let you go for the benefit of the doubt, but this is ridiculous.

Not saying Boyd shouldn’t be reconsidered as captain, but to choose Oates, you’ve lost all credibility. Oates is awesome, but a captain, he is not. At least at this stage.

He actually said Lodge should be captain, not Oates.

I'd love for Lodge to be captain if only to see the scum media fall over themselves with outrage articles.
You forgot to say that also, on his performances over the last 20 odd games for the Broncos, he would be a much better option than Boyd.

The way he’s turned his life around, both personally and professionally, and the way he gives everything he has, not to mention for over 60mins last night as a front rower, he really does seem like the perfect candidate to lead the team.

Realistically, he is already leading the forward pack, so I’d be all for it personally.

He’s also a pretty quiet person and doesn’t talk much

You forgot to say that also, on his performances over the last 20 odd games for the Broncos, he would be a much better option than Boyd.

The way he’s turned his life around, both personally and professionally, and the way he gives everything he has, not to mention for over 60mins last night as a front rower, he really does seem like the perfect candidate to lead the team.

Realistically, he is already leading the forward pack, so I’d be all for it personally.
He's my favourite player I'd love him to captain this team. If he's still with us and wants to renew I'd be wanting him as our next captain.

it is kinda funny how the OP gets smashed for the opinion and then after one game into the new season wherein it's the same old performance, opinions begin to change.

i don't think we have to be sycophants to support the club, it is clear Boyd has regressed and despite his seniority, is struggling to perform at the level that we need him to be. yes he's a changed man and so on - that's great, but we're a professional football club, not a therapists lounge.

He’s also a pretty quiet person and doesn’t talk much
He doesn’t need to. We had a bloke captain us a little while back who was much the same, did all his talking with his actions. He’s also the same bloke who played 355 games for the club and was ultra successful.

I don’t see it, but you always go on about Boyd being chatty on the field. Regardless, as the old expression goes, talk is cheap. Especially when you’re not backing it up with your actions.

He doesn’t need to. We had a bloke captain us a little while back who was much the same, did all his talking with his actions. He’s also the same bloke who played 355 games for the club and was ultra successful.

I don’t see it, but you always go on about Boyd being chatty on the field. Regardless, as the old expression goes, talk is cheap. Especially when you’re not backing it up with your actions.

Lockyer? Didn't talk? You must be talking about Darren's brother I think. Lockyer was always screaming at the troops.

Lockyer? Didn't talk? You must be talking about Darren's brother I think. Lockyer was always screaming at the troops.
In my opinion at least, I don’t agree.

But it is not a matter of opinion that he didn’t talk a lot in the first few years of being captain. In fact, it was well documented that he struggled, a lot, to be the verbal leader some players required and that he felt far more comfortable leading with his actions.

Make Matt Lodge captain Mr Seibold, before you get the sack or lynched :-)

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • BruiserMk1
  • Justwin
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Broncosgirl
  • Fitzy
  • Mr Fourex
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • Cavalo
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.