OPINION New Captain, New Outlook for 2019

If a player is dropped to ISC does his match payments drop? I mean is there some sort of appearance fee built in to first grade contracts?

Boyd is a custard tart pretending to be a first grade footballer.

It would be a massive call for a 2nd year coach to relieve Boyd as captain.

It’d be a career defining moment or BBQ gate suicide

The attitude that Bird has taken into games this year is exemplary, he has shown all the leadership qualities of a captain in making, if we genuinely view him as a long term clubman, he’d be my first choice.

You simply can’t replace your captain part way into a season. We all know and most have been saying for a while that Boyd is a terrible captain, he’s also become a terrible fullback.

He shouldn’t be on the wage he is on or signed as long as he has been, very few were fans of that ridiculous signing even when it happened.

So regardless, replace him as captain next year but not now, that’s a sure fire way to lose the dressing room. By all means though, get him out of fullback ASAP.

So regardless, replace him as captain next year but not now, that’s a sure fire way to lose the dressing room.

I'm wondering if it is possible that Darius never really had the dressing room in the first place.

You simply can’t replace your captain part way into a season. We all know and most have been saying for a while that Boyd is a terrible captain, he’s also become a terrible fullback.

He shouldn’t be on the wage he is on or signed as long as he has been, very few were fans of that ridiculous signing even when it happened.

So regardless, replace him as captain next year but not now, that’s a sure fire way to lose the dressing room. By all means though, get him out of fullback ASAP.
I disagree. I would rather make the move now than basically write the season off by going welp cant do anything till next season.

If it's going to cause mutiny it's going happen regardless of the timing. Rip the bandaid off.

I disagree. I would rather make the move now than basically write the season off by going welp cant do anything till next season.

If it's going to cause mutiny it's going happen regardless of the timing. Rip the bandaid off.

But who do you replace him with? If there was a ready made captain, you could do it but there simply isn’t and this is a huge reason this team is so rubbish, there is just such a void in leadership.

There’s no Hodgo, Webcke, Civoniceva, Thorn,Berrigan, even Parker to choose from.

Lodge is the best candidate but it’s too early. TPJ is not even close in terms of consistency. Bird is an option but he has been good rather than great but standing out because this team has been so rubbish.

Macca can’t be captain because he should be walking out the door with Boyd. So who else is there?

I agree with you that theres no one standing out but unless we sign someone is that going to change within 12 months? At least if you give it to a potential candidate they have time to mature and grow into the role.

I agree with you that theres no one standing out but unless we sign someone is that going to change within 12 months? At least if you give it to a potential candidate they have time to mature and grow into the role.

But who? That’s the problem in a nutshell. I agree with you that he needs to be replaced as captain, he’s really really bad at it but I’ll take the short-term pain in the absence of other options.

Actually the best option can’t even make the current side for some reason and is a baby - Carrigan - that tells you everything about the problems with leadership at Brisbane.

But who? That’s the problem in a nutshell. I agree with you that he needs to be replaced as captain, he’s really really bad at it but I’ll take the short-term pain in the absence of other options.

Actually the best option can’t even make the current side for some reason and is a baby - Carrigan - that tells you everything about the problems with leadership at Brisbane.
Give it to Gillett in the interim imo. Fifita could be a candidate in time, he's captained almost every level he's played at but obviously he's too green. I'd nominate Glenn but I don't even know if he'll be in the starting side soon and we don't want a Kurt Gidley situation so for that reason he's out. Lodge maybe, he busts a gut every week - imagine the headlines tho lol

I don't think Milf is captaincy material, I don't think he needs the added expectation.

You need an 80 minute captain in the NRL. All the best captains in the comp play 80 minutes in their positions. And right now, no one is even remotely putting their hand up for leadership of this team.

Gillett. Plays 80 and is a senior player.

edit - i see someone beat me to it.

Last edited:
Boyd has to go. That is a no-brainer but who is going to replace him? And remember the golden parachute WB gave him. This can't just be written off.

Gillett and Glenn also have to go. The opposition forwards bash them. They both look feeble in comparison. They were both very good or outstanding players but the game, at least at NRL level, has passed them by. Ditto for Gillett's salary. I was astonished when WB signed him for as long as he did but when he did but gave him the benefit of the doubt, thinking he knows something the public isn't privy to. But no. Seems he knew he was on the outer and was trying to sabotage us. I don't have any evidence for that but it's just the impression I get.

Fledgler has to make it as an edge forward or he won't make it. Guys built like him don't go well in the middle. Defenders get under them and drive them back with relative ease.

TPJ, Sua, Joe O need a rocket and threatened with being dropped. Or maybe they just don't have the stamina to move up and tackle hard and run hard for anything more than very short bursts. If that's the case, Seibold had better start looking for their replacements because they won't make it in the NRL. Maybe they should give American football a try. Much better suited to their physiology.

Isaako needs a spell in the QLD Cup. The mistakes aren't "good" but they are not what annoys me most. See his opposite from last night? A smaller guy, probably slower and with inferior footwork but he ran hard. Ditto for the week before. Though I have no idea who to replace him with either.

IMO Nikorima and Milford both have the ability to be good running halves as long as they have a good game managing half partnering them. So obviously one has to go. My spies tell me O'Sullivan isn't the answer though surely giving it a try can't hurt as these two aren't working.

Macca is poor and getting poorer. It does't do anyone in the team any good for opposition to know our #9 is going to tackle himself to a standstill but offer nothing in attack. Having said that, if he were not making 50 tackles or more a game, the likes of TPJ would be even more gassed even sooner. So it isn't all bad. How long is he under contract for?

Bird hasn't been "bad", he is just massively overrated. He would make a great interchange utility on around 300-350k a season. I wonder if he could make a go of it at fullback with Boyd moving to the wing, Isaako being dropped and Staggs in the centres?

Seibold should be getting more out of this team. I'm a big supporter of his and there are obvious problems with the roster but he should be getting more out of them! It's not the losses. Melbourne, Dragons and Roosters will be right up there at the end of the season but should have beaten a depleted Dragons and should have put up more of a fight against the other 2.

Wayne Bennett has really done a job on us. Milford is overpaid. Bird is massively overpaid. Boyd and Gillett are not NRL standard now but are on the books for another 3 and 4 years respectively!!! It's fascicle.

As much as it sucks how badly we're going, you must feel pretty validated right now?

It irked me to no end last year, even coach Wayne played favourites it was so frustrating. We will not win games with the 1 and 9 in this side. Boyd is toxic to the halves situation and blames everyone but himself, I'm tired of Macca mouthing of to the media when he is the most average player in the team.
Now Seibold publicly backing them in the leadership group, only injury or suspension will bar them from the starting team...GOD HELP US!!

Last edited:
Wayne Bennett has really done a job on us. Milford is overpaid. Bird is massively overpaid. Boyd and Gillett are not NRL standard now but are on the books for another 3 and 4 years respectively!!! It's fascicle.
Milford can be fine if he can be allowed to play his natural game.
You can hardly blame Bird for last year - signs have been promising this year but lets see how he goes before he gets pilloried.
Boyd - I've swung pretty rapidly from pro-Boyd to meh, he's Ok, to Please go, mate - you're cooked.
Gillett was put in the middle straight back from a major injury. He's had one game back in his favoured sport - I'm going to give him a bit of grace. To say he's not NRL standard is fascicle indeed.

Guys, Wayne didn't do a job on us. Please stop with that, it's nonsense.

He basically built this club, I'm sure he is not in the business to ruin something he helped build. Use your common sense and take your emotion out of this.

We are horrible at the moment. The team is dreadful. No energy, no enthusiasm, no passion or desire. No communication in the team. We are just bad but it isn't Wayne's fault. The players must take responsibility for their piss poor attitude and desire.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Lozza
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • Skyblues87
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • Foordy
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.