New Competition

4evaBroncs

U18 Player
Jan 4, 2015
New Competition
Hey guys, Iv'e decided to start a new thread which includes new ideas and issues for the game's future. I made one similar to this about player retirement and interchanges. This one's about adding new teams to the comp to create a wider competition. I can't see this happening yet though with e.g. transport and financial issues, owever, possibly in the future. My priority would be to build another Queensland team in either Rockhampton, Mackay or Cairns and re-name and merge Sydney based teams, so that there are as many, or just about, QLD and NSW teams, which creates a fairer comp.
Northern Territory
- Darwin Dingos

Queensland
- Cairns Crocidiles
- Townsville Cowboys
- Mackay Magpies
- Rockhampton Platypus
- Brisbane Broncos
- Gold Coast Titans

New South Wales
- Newcastle Knights
- Central Coast Dolphins
- Sydney Rabbitohs (re-name South Sydney)
- Northern Beaches Manly Sea Eagles
- Eastern Beaches Bondi Roosters (re-name Sydney)
- Southern Beaches Tiger Sharks (Sutherland + Campbelltown merge)
- Bankstown Bulldogs
- Penrith Panthers
- St. George Illawarra Dragons

ACT
- Canberra Raiders

Victoria
- Melbourne Storm

South Australia
- Adelaide Blue Tongue's

Western Australia
- Perth Pythons

New Zealand
- Auckland Warriors

Islands
- PNG/Samoa Geckos

- 22 teams = 11 games
- Thursday: 1 game at 7:30pm
- Friday: 2 games at 7:30pm + 9:30pm
- Saturday: 3 games at 5:30pm, 7:30pm + 9:30pm
- Sunday: 3 games at 3:30pm, 5:30pm + 7:30pm
- Monday: 1 game at 7:30pm
- 1 bye each round

My comp would be

NQ Cowboys
Brisbane Broncos
Newcastle Knights
Canberra Raiders
St George Illawarra Dragons
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Parramatta Eels
Canterbury Bulldogs
Sydney Roosters
Melbourne (not storm, new consortium)
Perth Reds
New Zealand Warriors

22 teams is waaaaaaay too many IMO. I'd grudgingly accept 18, but any more than that is just too much.

Yeah true. Apparently a 3rd of the NBA's team will lose money because there are too many teams. Having said that, the AFL only has 4 less teams. Id'e get rid of the Titans and PNG or Samoa team so that there are 20 teams.

Also, I would actually name Rockhampton the Rockhampton Venom, not Platypus (which sounds a bit pathetic). This is much more threatening and relates to the Australian theme as around 5/10 of the world's most venomous snakes live in Australia, with 1 of them being the most venomous in the world. There's some fun facts for you! Also, just for a bit of fun, what would your 3 - 4 favourite NRL team names be? I really like Venom actually and then Cobras and Vipers (there's no coincidence they're all related to snakes haha).

Welcome to BHQ [MENTION=8766]Broncs4life[/MENTION]. You certainly have brought a few interesting questions forth, but in the case at hand, I think you're looking at a far future to have that amount of teams in the competition.

If and when it gets that far, I'd like to see a system of divisions/conferences such as the NFL for example, to promote local rivalries, such as a division comprised of 4 Qld and a PNG team for example, where all teams would play each other twice. In a 20 team comp, I'd have the following 4 divisions...

North:
- Brisbane Broncos
- Brisbane Bombers
- NQ Cowboys
- GC Titans
- PNG Hunters

East:
- Newcastle Knights
- Manly Sea Eagles
- Sydney Roosters
- Sydney Rabbitohs
- St George Dragons

West:
- Canterbury Bulldogs
- West Tigers
- Parramatta Eels
- Penrith Panthers
- Canberra Raiders

South:
- Auckland Warriors
- Wellington Sharks
- Melbourne Storm
- Perth Reds
- Second Melbourne team*

I can't see cities/towns like Cairns, Rockhampton, Darwin, Adelaide, etc... being capable of sustaining a NRL team to be honest.

Anyway, food for thought...

P.S. BTW, can you please check your PM's, thanks!

There simply isn't enough talent in the competition to support the 16 teams we have going right now. Have on earth we field more teams is beyond me.

Conceivably you could add a Wellington team as the Warriors have a glut of talented juniors who don't always get a crack at NRL, but beyond that you're not going to have the talent to make these teams competitive.

People think Rugby League has a future?

As it stands right now, no it doesn't. However it can be fixed, maybe....

I'd add in

PNG
CQ
Adelaide
Perth
Second NZ
Second Brisbane

I'd also make a point of playing more games in the NT and Sunshine Coast with the Cowboys also being forced to take at least one game a year to Cairns and Mackay.

They will need to make the game a hell of a lot more marketable to sustain so many extra teams.

I would love to see a PNG team admitted some time in the future but I feel it will take some doing to make it happen. People must remember that PNG is nothing like Australia. It's basically a third world country with one third of it's population living on 1 US dollar a day. It would need massive support from everyone in the Rugby League world to sustain and be competitive.

Fair point. I could see cities Cairns

Woops ... didn't mean to send that haha. Anyway, I could see cities like Cairns, Rockhampton and Mackay being very successful. The Cowboys are a successful club and have a great Queensland rivarly with a good fan base and player selection. Also, the other QLD cities also have about the same population. Personally, I would love to see more QLD teams. I like the idea of a 2nd NZ team too.

What do you mean? There's nothing there. I replied to the message before (sorry, i didn't mean to be rude) and I just wrote something else then. Hey how do you join that SRVC comp thingy??? And I have another idea about a comp, I posted it in the nrl general discussion thread.

I also don't get the point of a 2nd Brisbane team. We have 1 of if not the best stadiums and good public transport access to games. We also have free to air TV coverage basically every week. We also have competition from other QLD clubs i.e. the Cowboys and Titans.

If a second Brisbane team means less Friday night games and more Sunday games, I'm all for it. Won't support the bastards but I'll allow them to live alongside the Broncos.

My preference would be a genuine National Premier Grade with promotion and relegation and no salary cap.

Cronulla, Canberra and the Eels can **** off back to park football.

The Warriors, and fascinatingly, their Under 20's team, have garnered a massive market. The Australian (or more succinctly, the NSW Rugby League) treats it as a gimmick, "nice to have" market that will always be second fiddle to Rugby Union. Or you could hit Rugby on their home turf and really make your own way on the North Island in a game that is much more entertaining and exciting than Rugby will ever be.

Instead they pump money into making sure Souths win a premiership and that Cronulla stay in the competition. Because their heads are firmly up their NSW arses.

Why not have North and South based Brisbane teams. Broncos have Red Hill and Lang Park on the North side of the river. I guess I'd have to suck it up and support a South side based Brisbane team :-(, but still.

Imagine a Liverpool v Manchester United-esque derby at Lang Park. Fuelled by 20 years of hate for the upstart newcomers. The old firm of Bennett Broncos ('cos sadly that's all we're ever going to be) versus a south siders franchise born out of the defection of Milford in his prime in 5 years time. I can imagine kids my sons age being drawn to an exciting new South side franchise, filled with the Thurstons, Folau's, Milfords, Cam Smiths and the like.

A boutique stadium or a downsizing and refurb of QEII.

You've got to think big.

Or you can be shortsighted like Dave Smith and Gyngnell and think **** it, 2 Friday night games. We'll just play 2 back to back every week and get 50,000 to Suncorp instead = all the dollars.

Central Qld - the boys from Kingaroy North and West play two sports - cricket and rugby league. No other region has such a captive audience.

Sunshine Coast - largest population growth region in Australia.

Give NRL licences on performance merit.

You want Hayne, SBW, Inglis, Folau and Hunt and the rest staying in league, you've got to annihilate the competition. Biggest bucks, best competition.

It's got little to do with international opportunities and playing in a real World Cup (AFL is a one state game, yet dwarfs the NRL, Soccer and Rugby codes and has end of season piss up to Ireland for a scrap with some locals that it calls and international game).

Christ, Rugby League was the professional rugby code. Rugby Union stayed competitive for years being effectively an ametuer sport for rich private school kids. They had a moral issue with paying players money. Swing around 30 years and now they've priced the NRL out of the market for the big names.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Waynesaurus
  • Brocko
  • Morkel
  • Harry Sack
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Fitzy
  • MrRobot
  • Financeguy
  • marw
  • BroncosAlways
  • Clintos
  • Old Mate
  • heartly87
  • Santa
  • FACTHUNT
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bish
  • Fozz
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.