ANNOUNCEMENT News: the carnival is over

The legal term in Australia is called "fair dealing." It does not apply to headlines, only copy. Suggest you read this:

There's also an "open licence," but that's not relevant to us. And we certainly don't want to get involved in the expense of challenging it:

you’re on the ball it seems

I was just talking about it more in layman’s terms, just from my own way of thinking on surface level ie ‘is it this? Yes/No’, ‘does it do this do this? Yes/no‘ but obviously that kind of thing is not something to rest upon in most legal situations

you’re on the ball it seems

I was just talking about it more in layman’s terms, just from my own way of thinking on surface level ie ‘is it this? Yes/No’, ‘does it do this do this? Yes/no‘ but obviously that kind of thing is not something to rest upon in most legal situations
It's a bit like blowing .05 and arguing you're fine to drive. You might be right, but you're never going to win.

Is it acceptable to Fuhrer Rupes to write something in one of the general threads like:
The Courier Mail are reporting that Peter V’landys wants a 17 team competition which includes a second Brisbane team for the next tv rights deal.
If so, would that need a link?

Is it acceptable to Fuhrer Rupes to write something in one of the general threads like:
The Courier Mail are reporting that Peter V’landys wants a 17 team competition which includes a second Brisbane team for the next tv rights deal.
Yes, of course. And no to the link.

Yeah I'm not sure what I'm allowed to post anymore... can we get a sticky about posting or discussing news articles so we can make sure we don't cross the line??

Can we just post the headline as a thread title and then paraphrase the article to generate the discussion??

Yeah I'm not sure what I'm allowed to post anymore... can we get a sticky about posting or discussing news articles so we can make sure we don't cross the line??

Can we just post the headline as a thread title and then paraphrase the article to generate the discussion??
We're working this out behind the scenes for sure, just need to clean up the current mess first.

In general though, as above, paraphrasing is fine, it's no different from giving your opinion on the news. The only issue is copy pasting the content itself. We don't need to link their trash unless we're directly quoting them, which is what we were doing and they didn't like it.

So no link necessary (but you can add one), no copying of their contents, but we can drop a title in (which usually autofills from the link/URL) and paraphrase Badel and co's dribble in a line or two and discuss the content that way.

Last edited:
This is fine for now and if you want to paraphrase in a line or two what it's about that should be okay.

There are paraphrasing tools online. Copy and paste the article, it’ll re-write it for us and post. Fu news ltd
That sounds like a really bad idea. The site owners aren't looking for a fight.

That sounds like a really bad idea. The site owners aren't looking for a fight.
Yeah no automated stuff. Just genuine criticism/review/paraphrasing of an article is fine and falls under fair use and surely CM will not have a problem with that. As long as it's genuinely a user's summary of the article that's fine. We don't want to be sneaky about it, paraphrasing is genuinely fair use, automated stuff is not.

In the meantime if the same/similar article is available from NRL.com or Broncos.com.au or posted on Twitter/Reddit, we can always link to that as it's a third party that isn't Newscorp.

As Kimlo has said, we are working out how we are going post links to news articles for discussion without copying anyone's work. I want to stress that all articles from any news site are no longer to be copy / pasted.

We have now gone back a couple of years on a few of the news tags and closed those threads. From most recent, we have also begun going through those threads and editing the infringing posts, and re-opening the threads so we don't lose the discussion.

Edit: Posts with a -NEWS-, -OFFICIAL-, -NRLW- (Note the hyphens) have been checked by us.

In the meantime, until we work out what changes need to be made (Links to CM are parsing weird), the best way will be to post a Tweet or other social media post.

Simply click the date / time the post was posted, and copy that address. Twitter looks like the following;

Code:
https://twitter.com/NRL/status/1200303978958880768

Then when posting here, click Add Media, and paste the link;

Last edited:
there’s an easy way to avoid that: don’t be a shit journo

Exactly, like needing to scrape the bottom of the barrel so hard you need to come on to a site like this in order to break your writers block. I don't get paid to write this good and neither does anyone else on here, yet our shit is getting jacked by some untalented jerkoff getting paid a pittance serving one of THE worst human beings to ever walk this Earth, hiding behind wheelie bins to get the jump on people for a hot take that will no doubt be taken grossly out of context. And we're expected to pay for this shit.

No sympathy.

Last edited:
As far as the paywall stuff goes , surely if someone sells you something it should be yours to do what you want with it.

That's not how copyright works. You can't buy a book and copy it word for word somewhere else. You can't buy a CD or movie and do whatever you want with it.

It's the same deal as the good old days of writing essays... no direct copies of any copyright material. Paraphrasing and referencing the original source isn't an infringement of copyright.

Is this still Australia we live in, or North Korea? Feels like a form of censorship to me. You know, a suppression of speech and public communication/discussion, that kind of thing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame admin here for taking the stance you now have regarding non-publication of paywalled articles, as you seem to have little choice with threats of possible legal action being taken. I do worry however for BHQ though as during the off-season, it is primarily paywalled newspaper/website articles about club news/player signings/training updates etc that tends to generate a significant amount of discussion amongst the fans who congregate here.

The off-season just became that much longer, and a little more depressing because of this happening in my view. Will be a lot less activity and banter in here from now until gameday I suspect, unfortunately.
Please tell me you will still tell me about the players personal lives and won’t be censored yourself I hope

Guess Ill stick to /r/nrl to get around the paywall then

CM's thinking: one article on Boyd gets 10 pages of comments on a fan site...
🤔🤔🤔 if we ban them from posting our articles they'll all come to CM and pay a subscription to read the articles = $$$

Reality: CM post article... fan site summarises and turns into 10 page thread... no one visits CM site... every fan on the site hates CM even more... Petey B fades off into obscurity because almost no one will be reading his actual articles

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Gaz
  • Tmac
  • Matheos
  • TimWhatley
  • Bish
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Broncorob
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • Brotherdu
  • Wolfie
  • Ejbroncos
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.