Next Broncos coach

Who should it be?

• Total voters
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I don't know if it's genuinely a 2 horse race, but if it is KW just helped the Board with their decision.
He has effectively said the Origin job is ore important than the Broncos job, and that just pushes the Board in Green's direction.
If KW really does want the Broncos job, it was a very silly thing to say.

Maybe but I agree with his stance. He has been burned by this stupid board before, why come out looking like he is captain eager again, make them come to him.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Maybe but I agree with his stance. He has been burned by this stupid board before, why come out looking like he is captain eager again, make them come to him.
I agree, he definitely needs to be careful as he has been burned before - what he should have said is nothing

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I agree, he definitely needs to be careful as he has been burned before - what he should have said is nothing

The 'journalist' (Gossip Columnist) would frame the question like this:

'Gossip columnist': Would you give up this role to be coach of the Broncos?

Kevvie: I am totally committed to this role as I have always been (what else can he say while he is in this role?)

'Gossip Columnist': Headline - Kevvie will not give up his Qld role if he gets appointed Broncos coach.

abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014
Channel Nine Footy show panel was garbage last Sunday in the segment inside the ten. The panel Peter Sterling, Brent Read, Andrew Webster, and David Riccio all backed Paul Green. They mentioned he was a proven coach who had won a premiership. Of course they conveniently left out the fact Greens last three seasons with the Cowboys has been rubbish.

There was some suggestion on the panel though that Kevin Walters may work if Wayne Bennett was director. Read suggested Broncos should have a Green and Walters combination with one of them being assistant. It won't happen, both would likely bork at being assistant for each other and not named head coach.
Borking makes me think of our previous coach. No wonder the players had trouble with his game plans.

abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014
The 'journalist' (Gossip Columnist) would frame the question like this:

'Gossip columnist': Would you give up this role to be coach of the Broncos?

Kevvie: I am totally committed to this role as I have always been (what else can he say while he is in this role?)

'Gossip Columnist': Headline - Kevvie will not give up his Qld role if he gets appointed Broncos coach.
Yep, plus nobody's going to come out and say "yeah mate 100% my heart's not really here, I mean I'll stay if I don't get the Broncos job but if I do I'm gone in a heartbeat. Zoom, I'm a puff of smoke, a ghost, like those dorks on the QRL board won't know what hit 'em I'll be out of here that fast. A blur mate, truthfully I'm halfway out the door already. What's that? Paul Green just got the job? ****, don't print what I just said or they'll have my nuts on a block before you can say 'Freddie's a space cadet.'"

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Yep, plus nobody's going to come out and say "yeah mate 100% my heart's not really here, I mean I'll stay if I don't get the Broncos job but if I do I'm gone in a heartbeat. Zoom, I'm a puff of smoke, a ghost, like those dorks on the QRL board won't know what hit 'em I'll be out of here that fast. A blur mate, truthfully I'm halfway out the door already. What's that? Paul Green just got the job? ****, don't print what I just said or they'll have my nuts on a block before you can say 'Freddie's a space cadet.'"

You've just given the next headline:

"Sources say the blood between Kevvie and Fittler is so bad, Walters has called Freddie 'A Space Cadet'"

The Strapper

The Strapper

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 21, 2015
as previously stated, my first preference is Shaun Wane (former Wigan coach, current England coach)

but I don't know every rugby league coach in the world, so there may be other options ... the obvious choice is not necessarily the best choice
Wane is untested in the NRL and as far as I am aware none of the other clubs needing coaches looked at him too closely.
Having said that he might be alright but I think this time we need to go local and go someone who is known. I really can't see an overseas/unknown getting the gig.
This is why I think the pool is shallow. The board need to get this done without any dithering. I also think it should be done before the next CEO is selected they don't have time to wait for that.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
If he gets the job it should be on the proviso that he quits his origin job immediately... he has too much work to do

It depends when the gig gets appointed, if the Broncos don’t give him the job until November it would be horrible to ask him to quit Queensland with a series in two weeks.

I thought last week it would too hard to do both but it may have to be done this year.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Wane is untested in the NRL and as far as I am aware none of the other clubs needing coaches looked at him too closely.
Having said that he might be alright but I think this time we need to go local and go someone who is known. I really can't see an overseas/unknown getting the gig.
This is why I think the pool is shallow. The board need to get this done without any dithering. I also think it should be done before the next CEO is selected they don't have time to wait for that.

Wane was shortlisted by the Cowboys. which means they looked at him closely ... Payten just had the perfect opportunity to audition for the role.

so by your logic you want the board to limit their search to:

1. a guy untested in the NRL (like Wane), but whose only previous top grade head coaching role gave him a win % that matched seibs (unlike Wane)

or

2. a guy who has spent the last 2.5 years propping up the NRL table

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
i dont know why but its just hard to get excited over the thought of green as coach of broncos. in my head he always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder when talking about us although that could just be because his hatred of Bennett.

i wont death ride the bloke ill support whoever the board appoints.

i know its biased but gee i think i will find it hard to get excited in the offseason if its any one but Walters.

it will be nothing but months of dread from the media and having to listen to gordie go on and on and on and on.

The Strapper

The Strapper

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 21, 2015
Wane was shortlisted by the Cowboys. which means they looked at him closely ... Payten just had the perfect opportunity to audition for the role.

so by your logic you want the board to limit their search to:

1. a guy untested in the NRL (like Wane), but whose only previous top grade head coaching role gave him a win % that matched seibs (unlike Wane)

or

2. a guy who has spent the last 2.5 years propping up the NRL table
I presume you are talking about Walters and Green there.
As I said I think the pool is shallow but not that shallow.
I think Cartwright would be worth a look and maybe Ryles.
Would also have liked to see Payten considered but that boat has sailed. I know the cowboys had a head start on us so am not blaming the board for that one but if they muck around they could miss someone they want. St George still have to find someone.
There could be one or two others but yep that's about it.
They just need to get this done!

S

Shane Tronc

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018
If Walters gets the broncos job then the QRL will move to put Green or Bennett in straight away. It’s not going to be up to Walters and he knows this, which is why he said he won’t stand down from origin.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Thurston just said we should go with Walters, the guy won a premiership under green....that says it all right there.
Not exactly what he said and you probably know that.
He said that Kevvie is the coach the club needs because of the cracks between club and fans club and old boys etctetc along those lines. He didn't mention who he would pick on coaching ability alone.

I agree with Thurston BTW Kevvie is the guy for us at this time.

Galah

Galah

State of Origin Rep
Mar 28, 2019
Not exactly what he said and you probably know that.
He said that Kevvie is the coach the club needs because of the cracks between club and fans club and old boys etctetc along those lines. He didn't mention who he would pick on coaching ability alone.

I agree with Thurston BTW Kevvie is the guy for us at this time.
Sometimes you just hear what you want to hear lol. Yes, you’re being more precise, but it was good enough for me.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
According to Andrew Webster there is more to it in terms of Anthony Griffin departure with Penrith. Which is why he is not in favor of Griffin getting the Dragons job.

The problem with the Andrew Webster article is he disregards the players who support Griffin (Trent Merrin, Corey Norman and Ben Hunt). But is happy to take Ben Hannant's word which its well known he fell out favor during his time with Griffin at the Broncos and may have an axe to grind.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/an...th-but-he-s-no-nrl-coach-20200831-p55r07.html

Everyone is grinding axes, spreading rumours. It's what politics is all about, and the NRL is all about politics which includes our club, like our coach selection drama played to the sound of grinding axes, like Bennett and the Board, Seibold, Walters and the Old Boys, the QRL, who made it clear that for Walters, it's Origin or the Broncos but not both. The QRL made it clear they want a commitment from Walters. They want 100% focus on the MAroons.

So Walters has done exactly that, I assume because he knows the Broncos coaching job won't be dealt with until after Origin, so why muddy the wa(l)ters. He's gone with the job he has over one that he hasn't.

Then there's the politics underpinning the Bennett - Bellamy saga which is interesting since Bennett said in 2017 that Bellamy will never coach the Broncos, yet we have all this politics about the board screwing Bennett when they went to Bellamy and never told him. Why would Bennett publicly state in 2017 that Bellamy will never coach the Broncos, and then we read he tells the board in 2018 to make a play for Bellamy.

View attachment 1868

Wayne Bennett reveals how his plan for Craig Bellamy to take over the Broncos failed

September 21, 2017

WAYNE Bennett has revealed how his coaching succession plan for Brisbane unravelled, claiming club bosses sensationally botched high-level talks to bring Craig Bellamy back to the Broncos.

On the eve of tonight’s Broncos-Storm grand-final qualifier at AAMI Park, Bennett opened up about his 20-year relationship with Bellamy amid speculation there is bad blood between the pair.

Bellamy has enjoyed a remarkable 14-year reign in Melbourne, cultivating an NRL dynasty in AFL heartland.

But if Bennett had his way, the Storm super coach would have succeeded him at Red Hill.

Bennett first hired Bellamy as his assistant in 1998, grooming his apprentice to one day take charge of the Broncos.

When Bennett left to join the Dragons for the 2009 season, he hoped Bellamy would be installed as his successor when the Storm coach held secret talks with Broncos hierarchy.

But Bellamy’s planned return fell apart when he was offended in negotiations by Brisbane’s perceived arrogance that they were a superior club to the Storm.

Bellamy inked a $2.5 million, five-year extension with a Storm club that has since become the powerhouse of the NRL, with Bennett admitting his former right-hand man has turned his back on Brisbane.

“I always thought Craig should have coached the Broncos,” Bennett said. “It just won’t happen now. Craig will never coach the Broncos.

“To be honest, he should have coached them after I left, but the Broncos blew that one.

“I would have liked to have seen Craig coach the Broncos after me and he would have been a long-term success, but he’s made his mark in Melbourne now.

“When I left in 2008, it (Bellamy taking over) was a real chance of happening and it should have happened. Craig was apparently keen to come back, but unfortunately the interview never went that great and he moved on.”

Bennett and Bellamy’s friendship reached breaking point three years ago when Alex McKinnon, playing for Bennett’s Newcastle side, suffered a career-ending broken neck against the Storm.

Bennett has been a long-time critic of Melbourne’s wrestling tactics, with each public barb viewed as an erosion of his ties with Bellamy.

The Broncos coach insists there is no toxic rift — they caught up at a 50th birthday party for Broncos trainer Alex Corvo earlier this year — but Bennett says he won’t be gagged on Melbourne’s defensive tactics.

“There’s no feud between us,” he said. “Look, I will say this — we are highly competitive people. I respect what he has done and I’m sure he feels the same about me.

“When it comes to game time, he wants to win and I want to win. There is that rivalry, but I can honestly say we don’t have a problem.

“Are we highly competitive? Absolutely we are. I’d call it competitive tension. But I actually saw Craig two months ago and it was good to see him, it was like the old days when we were together at the Broncos.

“People talk about our relationship because of the wrestle but I’m entitled to my opinion on that. I know Craig would have the shits over what I’ve said, but that’s OK, that’s the way I feel. I’m honest.

“But outside the competitive environment of the NRL, we still have a strong relationship. Craig has done a wonderful job down there. He made a good choice going to Melbourne.”

Source: Courier Mail

Obviously, I am missing something and I am sure my colleagues here will help me understand what I am missing.

Last edited:
Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
That hatchet job from Webster is like high school bullying. Protecting his mates and using a platform to destroy careers.

#thisisnotjournalism

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
That hatchet job from Webster is like high school bullying. Protecting his mates and using a platform to destroy careers.

#thisisnotjournalism
In the absence of evidence, people make up stories.

I liken modern day "journalists" to bards - they spin tales and ply their trade trying to secure their coins. When someone calls them on their bullshit they just move onto the next song/bar/town.

Unread

Active Now

• rnabokov
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.