Next Broncos coach

Who should it be?

• Total voters
Baulk*
Both are acceptable it seems.
Yeah, probably let the American spelling worm its way into my vocab. Either way, its not bork. Though the swedish chef call back gave me a laugh.

That hatchet job from Webster is like high school bullying. Protecting his mates and using a platform to destroy careers.

#thisisnotjournalism
It's an opinion piece. Webster's opinion is that Griffin isn't a good NRL coach, and he supports his opinion with quotes from ex-players. What exactly do you find controversial about it?

I think he pretty much hits the nail on the head with respect to the amnesia that occurs in sports. Griffin's time with us was full of dull games and baffling selection policies. Admittedly things are exponentially worse after Seibold, but that doesn't mean Hook is a good NRL coach.

It's an opinion piece. Webster's opinion is that Griffin isn't a good NRL coach, and he supports his opinion with quotes from ex-players. What exactly do you find controversial about it?

I think he pretty much hits the nail on the head with respect to the amnesia that occurs in sports. Griffin's time with us was full of dull games and baffling selection policies. Admittedly things are exponentially worse after Seibold, but that doesn't mean Hook is a good NRL coach.

I think there are reasons to doubt that Griffin is the kind of coach that can take the next step to a premiership but there is no doubt he is a great developer of talent. The work he did at the Broncos got them in place for what should have been a premiership and the Panthers are benefiting from him now. There are plenty of good coaches that never win a premiership, there is more to coaching than that. If the Broncos don't view Kevvie or Green as viable options we could do worse than Griffin on a 2 year deal to get this rabble functioning as a team again.

I always laugh at crap like this

Bennett tells the club they should chase Bellamy >>> the club in fact chases Bellamy >>> Bennett acts all surprised and hurt that the club chased Bellamy.

what did he want us to do ... wait until Bellamy re-signed with the Storm before we started our chase.

FTR, if we were successful in following Bennett's advice and landed Bellamy, there would have been absolutely no room at the club for Bennett, as there is zero chance Bellamy signs if we have a coaching director. in fact the coaching director role was probably only thought of, because once we missed Bellamy, the 3 leading contenders for the position were all rookie coaches.
Did anyone ever buy that he ASKED the club to go after anyone and not himself [emoji108][emoji1787]

In what world would that have ever been the truth and not spin

Thurston just said we should go with Walters, the guy won a premiership under green....that says it all right there.
Yeah that he doesn't want the Broncos to be successful [emoji28]

Kidding.

All it says is he thinks that's a good fit and his reasons were sound. But that doesn't mean there isn't an equally strong case for Green with different reasons.

Did anyone ever buy that he ASKED the club to go after anyone and not himself [emoji108][emoji1787]

In what world would that have ever been the truth and not spin

This is my biggest issue with the Bennett truthers. It makes absolutely no sense for anyone to say that, let alone someone with the ego that Bennett has (I don't mean that as a dig it is just a fact and something you need to be successful as a coach).

I mean if you replace Bennett in these stories with any other coach the same people are screaming bullshit from the rooftops.

Why would Bennett publicly state in 2017 that Bellamy will never coach the Broncos, and then we read he tells the board in 2018 to make a play for Bellamy.

Obviously, I am missing something and I am sure my colleagues here will help me understand what I am missing.

One would have thought it fairly clear from context. In an interview in 2017, Bennett said Bellamy would never return to the Broncos which was a shame in his opinion. In 2018, when White and Morris cracked the shits because the players liked their coach more than their CEO and chair so they tell him to get fucked. Bennett tells them righto dickheads, but **** me sideways you useless pricks will ruin this club if you're not careful. Give Bellyache a ring, if you're going to replace me it may as well be with someone worth a pinch of shit.

The fact Hodgo is attach to Kevvie is enough to lock him in as coach. The club badly needs winners back in its circle.

Who will be the next coach you ask? I have no idea myself and there seems to be enough cryptic messages being thrown out by the journos as it is, so instead of piling on I’ll just leave you with this statement:

We can KEep haVINg these discussions but the club is obviously playing the WAiting game and their stance never aLTERS.

I reckon the new coach has already been decided. Too many team based decisions being made for it not to be.

One would have thought it fairly clear from context. In an interview in 2017, Bennett said Bellamy would never return to the Broncos which was a shame in his opinion. In 2018, when White and Morris cracked the shits because the players liked their coach more than their CEO and chair so they tell him to get fucked. Bennett tells them righto dickheads, but **** me sideways you useless pricks will ruin this club if you're not careful. Give Bellyache a ring, if you're going to replace me it may as well be with someone worth a pinch of shit.

Thanks for that, and yes Bennett did tell Morris and White. I was missing something, and now I am clear. I ought to have done more thorough research, like finding this:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wa...raig-bellamy-to-brisbane-20180523-p4zgyf.html

"Suggestions the club was snooping around behind his back were doused when Bennett backed chief executive Paul White by saying it was his idea to make the call in the first place."

" 'It’s part of a conversation I had a month ago which I organised with the chairman (Karl Morris) and Paul White. We talked about our future going forward as a club. It was all part of the discussion," Bennett said. "I told Paul one of his responsibilities was to get the best coach he could for this club. I initiated it mate. You have to be honest in life. I don’t want it unfolding without me having some control, some part of it. I spent 25 years of my life here.'"

and

"Bennett said he believed White had acted ethically despite not informing him of the meeting, which was between White, Bellamy and a Broncos director in Melbourne.

"I was aware that they were going to talk to him. I wasn’t aware they had. I would have liked to have known. We’re all busy people. A third-party told me about it," Bennett said. "My priority are these players. It would have been nice to know but it’s no big deal. It happens sometimes. I don’t think he did it deliberately."

So it seems from what Wayne said above, the story is now a lot clearer about the Bennett-Bellamy saga, and, it would seem some of the comments on here, IIRC, that either or both the club went behind his back to recruit Bellamy and that Bennett was outraged by that (untruth) are equally wide of the mark.

The real issue then is of course that, after guaranteeing Bennett the job for 2019, the club instead shafted him, which is why he was justly pissed off:

"White went on to guarantee Bennett's tenure for 2019, although whether he remains at the club beyond that depends on available coaches and perhaps Bennett's motivation and health. He will be 69 on January 1.

"We have a coach for 2019. We’re not sitting here today saying who is coaching the Broncos in 2019. That’s Wayne Bennett... I want to be totally clear about that. And take all the noise out of that argument," White said. "We will keep working collectively, that’s everyone within the organisation but particularly Wayne and myself, about what happens beyond 2019."

What a bunch of deadshits

Last edited:

As an addendum, as I said in my earlier post ... axe grinding agenda driven politics and backstabbing rather than what is best for the club have yielded predictable results.

Last edited:

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Emanon
  • Rambstien
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Lazza
  • Dash
  • Johnny92
  • Harry Sack
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Fitzy
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.