Next Broncos coach

Who should it be?

• Total voters
Yeah I get that but you said even if we are doing well you won’t watch? Seems bizarre unless you have a personal vendetta against the guy...
Wouldn't call it a personal vendetta against him more so the board not giving Walters a chance to coach a club he actually gives a shit about green would be here to do a job,Walters would be here because he gives a ****.

Doesn't mean he's a better coach.. Also doesn't mean he'll be more successful.

I'm not sold on either option, I just hope we choose the correct one, I don't think I can handle another few more years of this shit.
Maybe he isnt he isn't the answer but if I'm taking a chance on Walters or green imo I'd rather Walters purely because he has a history here and I think is humble enough to surround himself with assistants that are strong in areas he is weak in.

Maybe he isnt he isn't the answer but if I'm taking a chance on Walters or green imo I'd rather Walters purely because he has a history here and I think is humble enough to surround himself with assistants that are strong in areas he is weak in.

One of them has an extensive history at the club, one of them has an extensive history coaching first grade sides to finals. They both have their weaknesses, they're both going to need the correct men around them and the full support of the board / playing group / ex-players who are relevant.

I don't really get the whole "Green is only good because he had Thurston". Every premiership coach has had good players to work with. ****. Bellamy has had Smith, Slater, Cronk, Inglis etc. but everyone wants him as coach.

I wouldn't be against Green getting the job but I think we need to fix the culture in the joint that has been stripped bare over the last few years, so you can't go past Walters and/or Bennett, with some old club hard heads as assistants.

One of them has an extensive history at the club, one of them has an extensive history coaching first grade sides to finals. They both have their weaknesses, they're both going to need the correct men around them and the full support of the board / playing group / ex-players who are relevant.

I have huge doubts over Green's ability to take a team from outside the 8 back into the 8, also his man management ability is rumored to be lacking and might cause even more player unrest. Green inherited a team that was consistantly making finals before he arrived. So niether of those coaches have a history of building teams at first grade level. Kevy has at least done an apprenticeship at Storm and Broncos since his disasterous Catalans run. Green is still fresh from destroying the Cowboys, and might actually need to step away from the game for a while to see where he went wrong.

Last edited:
Bellamy is different look at the players he is bringing through to replace Slater, cronk and Smith all of them would get a starting spot at any of the 15 other clubs

Bellamy is different look at the players he is bringing through to replace Slater, cronk and Smith all of them would get a starting spot at any of the 15 other clubs

Bellamy was insanely good at identifying players who will make it in first grade, and timing their debut's. Green really realy struggled with that, but to be fair most coaches do. Bellamy is god level.

I have huge doubts over Green's ability to take a team from outside the 8 back into the 8, also his man management ability is rumored to be lacking and might cause even more player unrest. Green inherited a team that was consistantly making finals before he arrived. So niether of those coaches have a history of building teams at first grade level. Kevy has at least done an apprenticeship at Storm and Broncos since his disasterous Catalans run. Green is still fresh from destroying the Cowboys, and might actually need to step away from the game for a while to see where he went wrong.

How many coaches are available that have proven they undeniably have the coaching ability to drag a side from a bottom 8 side to a top 8 side? The answer is none. You're not going to find the perfect coach, they don't exist.

Whoever we pick is going to have major flaws that will need to be addressed via the remainder of the coaching staff. Walters will need a LOT of Head Coaching and Assistant Coaching experience beneath him to help him with the day-to-day and teach him the correct way things are done. Green will need good man-managers and people who are easy to talk to working with him to help ease us through the inevitable teething problems of having an abrasive coach coming in to lead the current crop of mentally fragile children working here.

If you were to put me on the spot and ask me who I'd chose right this second, I'd say Walters, under the provision that we get 3 highly credentialed assistant coaches, at least 1 of which has 100+ games of head coaching in the NRL.

We got beat 48-18 in front of 47,000+ people at home in a final with WB and JD calling the shots. If that’s not Piss Poor with all due respect you need to learn and understand something you don't.

God I miss those days. Where we actually made the finals. Now we're stuck between an unproven NRL coach, and one thats just taken a premiership team to the dumpsters.

Give me Wayne and JD over Kev and Green all day, every day.

God I miss those days. Where we actually made the finals. Now we're stuck between an unproven NRL coach, and one thats just taken a premiership team to the dumpsters.

Give me Wayne and JD over Kev and Green all day, every day.

I miss the days when we made the GF, not making the finals and getting flogged by 30 when the other points diffs in that final were between 1 and 9.

I remain unconvinced by WB & JD. I am convinced by WB however, I wonder why his record against the Storm is not good, and why, and whether beating the Storm will be the real measure of our quality.

I like Walters and Kearney as a good starting point. With Kearney coaching defence, we both beat the Storm and made the GF. That tells me something about where the focus of that team's quality lay, and one we should strive to emulate.

Last edited:
I think we need to fix the culture in the joint that has been stripped bare over the last few years, so you can't go past Walters and/or Bennett, with some old club hard heads as assistants.

I don't actually buy this whole broken culture thing that is being bandied about. IMO, it is being used as propaganda by the old boys and media to aid the cause of their mates getting the jobs they want.

YES ... our results were piss poor this year, at times bordering on pathetic ... but that doesn't necessarily mean their is a cultural issue at the club ... there are a number of factors that when combined could have very easily lead to our performances this year (and any team that has these same factors would have likely had similar issues)

the issues include:
  • An extremely young team, with a lack of experienced heads to help them navigate the season
  • an very high injury/suspension toll for the majority of the season, this resulted in us barely being able to get any combinations working
  • COVID - our young team didn't handle that enforced break well at all
  • the NRL fucking with the rules mid season. after spending the entire pre-season training for one set of rules, our young team failed to adapt to the new rules
  • a coach that tried to get our young team to run before they could walk ... hell, he tried to get them to run before they could even crawl

We got beat 48-18 in front of 47,000+ people at home in a final with WB and JD calling the shots. If that’s not Piss Poor with all due respect you need to learn and understand something you don't.

Wow big numbers for a bigot. You must understand and know so much.

Wow big numbers for a bigot. You must understand and know so much.
I didn’t create the numbers or make them up.
I did however go along that day to cheer my team on and left disappointed along with all our other supporters.

Experiencing a flogging such as that one, particularly in a home final, is something I wouldn't recommend. Leaves you emotionally empty.

No, I don't know so much but what I do know about Rugby League is when the other team puts 48 points on you - you struggled, and I’ll leave it at that thank you.

How does anything he said there make him a bigot?

He is intolerant towards my differing opinion, judging my intelligence hence the term. Refer previous comments

I didn’t create the numbers or make them up.
I did however go along that day to cheer my team on and left disappointed along with all our other supporters.

Experiencing a flogging such as that one, particularly in a home final, is something I wouldn't recommend. Leaves you emotionally empty.

No, I don't know so much but what I do know about Rugby League is when the other team puts 48 points on you - you struggled, and I’ll leave it at that thank you.

As I already outlined in previous post, it was not a drubbing like the 58-0 Eels record where only one side turned up to play.
Anybody who re-watched that first 20mn, without knowing the result would have thought we were going to win judging by how flat the Dragons were in that opening quarter.
Quite understandable, I'd be as pissed if I had to witness live, the nightmare unfolding in those next horrible 60mns from the suddenly not so struggling Dragons.

Melbourne lost a GF by 40-0 GF, no less.
Shame on them for not sacking their coach right after.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Kev_Guz
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mieko
  • GCBRONCO
  • Yem
  • jd87
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Aldo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • RolledOates
  • Waynesaurus
  • ivanhungryjak
  • mitch222
  • BroncoFan94
  • Morkel
  • Xzei
  • Behold
  • Strop
... and 67 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.