Next Broncos coach

Who should it be?

• Total voters
Will a new coach be selected first, or the new CEO? Surely a new CEO should be the one involved in the selection of a new coach, right?
To me the CEO needs to be separate from the football department moving forward

Let the CEO run the business side, the $50m revenue and deal with the ASX... get a football director in there to run the team.

It's different skill sets... we're the Broncos FFS. Why have one guy try and do two jobs when you can have two guys focussing solely on one aspect each

I get that the CEO would still be above the football director, but their involvement with the football department should be minimised

Last edited:
I read today that if Kevin Walters does get the Broncos head coaching job. That a potential scenario of coaching Queensland this year and then taking over the Broncos job after the series isn't likely an option.

It is believed the short off-season and looming Broncos clean-out would make it too difficult for Walters to coach Queensland, while undertaking a rebuild at Red Hill.

The 2021 pre-season is slated for a November 9 start date and the first of three Origin games starts on November 4, which would make juggling both positions nearly impossible.

The QRL believe Walters would be too busy with his commitments at the Broncos should he take the job, which would require a hands-on approach from their last game of the season on September 24.

I may be in the minority here but I'd love Walter's to keep his QLD gig as well. A large reason we have appeared to lose our idendity and aura is because we are no longer THE Queensland team. Sure it'd be a big ask, but with a big and strong assistant team around him I don't see why it can't be done. Smart businessmen delegate work out well, we have the resources to be able to do that for an origin coach at the Broncos and the maroons. It will allow us to keep some extra queenslanderrr flavour!

That said, I don't think he's been great for the maroons.... Haha

Last edited:
Imagine the scenes tho if Kevvie gets it and wins the comp? There wouldn’t be enough tables for Alf to dance on
Yeah it’d be sensational.

I’ll be dancing if he gets the team running onto the ball and stop letting props score under the posts.

Except the players that were banned weren’t integral to the Origin team and had little chance of making it...

We are talking about installing discipline as obviously these players were coming from a Emerging Origin camp. These players did in fact have players who could have possibly make the team in Dylan Napa and Valentine Holmes at the time (2016). Ben Hunt, Anthony Milford, and Cameron Munster were not likely to be selected because of the players playing in the positions chosen ahead of them.

Considering the Broncos roster is very young I think this has plenty of relevance. I really don't see how your post discounts my point that Walters can be a tough task master when he needs to be.

I read today that if Kevin Walters does get the Broncos head coaching job. That a potential scenario of coaching Queensland this year and then taking over the Broncos job after the series isn't likely an option.

It is believed the short off-season and looming Broncos clean-out would make it too difficult for Walters to coach Queensland, while undertaking a rebuild at Red Hill.

The 2021 pre-season is slated for a November 9 start date and the first of three Origin games starts on November 4, which would make juggling both positions nearly impossible.

The QRL believe Walters would be too busy with his commitments at the Broncos should he take the job, which would require a hands-on approach from their last game of the season on September 24.

we should allow him to coach Origin either ... if he gets the job he has a lot of work to do for us

IMO, Thorn is getting more hype than he should ... let's have a look at the state of play:

in 2019 the Reds finished 14th overall (2nd last)
pre the COVID pause they were sitting in 10th (2 wins and 5 loses)

they are going OK, right now, but only playing against the other Aussie teams

Let the CEO run the business side, the $50m revenue and deal with the ASX... get a football director in there to run the team.

It's different skill sets... we're the Broncos FFS. Why have one guy try and do two jobs when you can have two guys focussing solely on one aspect.

I get that the CEO would still be above the football director, but their involvement with the football department should be minimised

It sounds like that is a route the club might be going down..

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be in the minority here but I'd love Walter's to keep his QLD gig as well. A large reason we have appeared to lose our idendity and aura is because we are no longer THE Queensland team. Sure it'd be a big ask, but with a big and strong assistant team around him I don't see why it can't be done. Smart businessmen delegate work out well, we have the resources to be able to do that for an origin coach at the Broncos and the maroons. It will allow us to keep some extra queenslanderrr flavour!

Well here's an interesting story on the subject of the Qld SOO coach given the likelihood of Walters coming to the Broncos, again from the Sydney Morning Herald : https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/st...-fairytale-origin-return-20200825-p55p62.html

"Wayne Bennett is on the verge of a fairytale return to the State of Origin arena this year, considering an 11th-hour SOS from the Queensland Rugby League to replace Kevin Walters if he lands the Broncos job in the coming days."

"Seventeen years on from the veteran coach's last stint at the Queensland helm, Bennett is in discussions with the QRL to help stop a Blues three-peat should Walters replace Anthony Seibold as Brisbane coach."
" '(QRL chairman Bruce Hatcher told the Herald)' ... Our responsibility is to do the best for Queensland and State of Origin, not the Broncos. We can't and won't be compromised on that. There can be no blurring of responsibility. There can be no distractions."

At least one of the reader's comments suggests the QRL don't want Walters in any case.

Worth a quick read.

Last edited:

It's different skill sets... we're the Broncos FFS. Why have one guy try and do two jobs when you can have two guys focussing solely on one aspect each

That's the model Souths have, they had Richo doing football reporting to the board and the CEO reporting to the board on Business.

Problem is if your CEO does nothing with football- when if it goes badly and then you have a CEO standing there saying- didn't know we were 2 million over the cap but sponsorship is up. The place looks a shambles and disorganised.

The lines have become badly blurred but it has always been that way Ribot used to meet with Bennett every week to discuss the team.

QRL pay their coach a full time salary- you're expected to work all year, not just three weeks. Also Kevvie would start in September getting his head around this mess and sorting it out and then have to leave for three weeks- that's not ideal then come back and start his first preseason just having three weeks off.

If he had been coaching a while, it would be ok this year because Origin is at the end of the year but in this situation and given it's his first gig and the mess he is walking into I don't think both roles is appropriate.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.