NFL 2018 Discussion

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
That pats defence was on another level yesterday to where they have been all year. Sure it didn't have a 37-30 score line but in a modern NFL era where total points scored for a game normally exceed 40+ this was a very pleasant surprise. On any other day, the Rams defence wins the game for them too. It took Brady basically having the go to two of the most elite players in the business in Edelman and Gronk to get the job done when it mattered the most.
Coaching was the real difference in the game and it showed. Belichick completely outfoxed McVay's very much vaunted offence. To hold a team that scored 33pts per game this year to just 3 points is insane. Experience in big games counts for a lot.
Exactly, as a pats fan where for the last 2 seasons 3rd and long meant a massive play for the other side, the last 3 weeks have been mind blowing.
Remember at the start of last season where everyone was saying Bellichick paying Gilmore instead of Butler was ridiculous? What a turn around!

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
You've got to question the usage of Gurley as well. Can't believe they left him on the pine so much.

The Patriots were always going to target the run and make Goff win the game, but you have to let a player like that try to win it for you. How many catches did he finish with? 1? Absurd IMO.

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
You've got to question the usage of Gurley as well. Can't believe they left him on the pine so much.

The Patriots were always going to target the run and make Goff win the game, but you have to let a player like that try to win it for you. How many catches did he finish with? 1? Absurd IMO.
Yeah I couldn't understand that either. I mean you guys had shut down the run game and there are whispers that Gurley was injured but if he is active you play him. I can understand not wanting to get him rushing too much with the injury but surely he could have been in the pass game.

Goff shit the bed and McVay seemed to be a bit out of his depth.

mitch222

State of Origin Rep

He was definitely injured and they tried to keep it quite all the way through the playoffs. They should have just rested him in a hope that he would be fit eventually.

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
He was definitely injured and they tried to keep it quite all the way through the playoffs. They should have just rested him in a hope that he would be fit eventually.
Didn't realize he was injured still. Even so - no reason they could adjust their offense to dink and dunk. There were yards to be had in the short - intermediate route tree. Gurley would have been perfect for it. Cooks would have been too but they didn't use him that way.

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Oakland, California
Goff was just horrible. I can't remember another instance where a QB was so dominant through the season and then went to shit in the SB. Maybe Rich Gannon but that was probably more on the insane Bucs D.

teampjta

QCup Player
Watch the national anthem again, Goff looked terrified, he was clearly overwhelmed by the occasion.

From top to bottom the pats are a brilliant organisation, their ability to adapt is amazing. Easily the best team/club in modern sports

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
Didn't realize he was injured still. Even so - no reason they could adjust their offense to dink and dunk. There were yards to be had in the short - intermediate route tree. Gurley would have been perfect for it. Cooks would have been too but they didn't use him that way.
When he was actually running the ball he looked better than CJ Anderson, I can't understand why they didn't risk him more? I mean hello, you're actually in the superbowl - it's next to impossible to get here, this is where you leave it on the table. Was similar to Butler last year, don't you at least put him in for one play and see what happens? Crazy things happen at the Superbowl.

Goff looked a bit like Matt Ryan did in the 4th quarter, totally imploded. Only he imploded from the start, Ryan imploded with a 20point lead.

mitch222

State of Origin Rep
Goff was just horrible. I can't remember another instance where a QB was so dominant through the season and then went to shit in the SB. Maybe Rich Gannon but that was probably more on the insane Bucs D.
Give a bit of credit to the pats defence. They shut down pretty much all his options and he was confused as **** about their blitz's all night.

Clintos

NRL Captain
Around
I have to say though - bias aside - the Pats blocking of Donald and Suh etc was brilliant. A lot of the schemes were perfect.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter