Nikorima - Why I Left

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
[h=1]Broncos young gun Jayden Nikorima says he joined Roosters to play first grade[/h]
c3603f8166a518a66db11c02be9ebaa9

JAYDEN Nikorima had the courage to say no to Wayne Bennett and now the Broncos young gun is backing himself to be Mitchell Pearce’s long-term partner at the Roosters.

Nikorima admits walking away from the Broncos and his dream of playing NRL with brother Kodi was the toughest call of his young career.
Three of the NRL’s top coaches — Bennett, Melbourne’s Craig Bellamy and the Roosters’ Trent Robinson — waged a tug of war for Nikorima’s signature.

Bennett has made it his mission not to lose Brisbane’s emerging stars and when he heard of poaching bids for Nikorima, he upped the ante to keep the 18-year-old.
But Nikorima opted for the Roosters, admitting the Bondi club’s $600,000, three-year deal came secondary to the fear of languishing behind red-hot Broncos halves Anthony Milford and Ben Hunt.
“It will be tough to leave the Broncos and to leave home,” Nikorima said. “The coaches all have their ways of trying to convince you to stay and Wayne had a little talk to me.
“I listened and it sunk in, but at the start of the year I had made a decision if there was a better opportunity elsewhere, I’d take it with both hands.

“It didn’t matter about the money, I just want to play NRL.
“The big thing for me was Ben Hunt and Milf being so young. They have a good, solid five years-plus at the Broncos together in the halves.
“The Broncos are a great club, but I just couldn’t hang on that long.’’
Kodi Nikorima, the older brother by 18 months, was another impediment. As kids who used to bash each other in backyard games, Kodi and Jayden dreamed of playing NRL side-by-side.
The reality was not as rosy as the dream. Both are pint-sized at 174cm and both are speedy utilities. There seemed to be room for only one Nikorima at Red Hill and Kodi got the jump after making his NRL debut in Round 2 this year.
Bennett has now lost two promising playmakers, with Ashley Taylor headed to the Titans, but he is pragmatic about their departures.

“We did the best we could to convince Jayden to stay,” Bennett said. “I understand why he did it, but I hope Jayden comes back one day and finishes his career at the Broncos because he is an outstanding young man.
“Jayden will be under more pressure next year. The Roosters are a top club and they expect results. He is going to a club that is looking to win premierships and be a top-four side.
“But he has a huge future in the game. He will handle it.’’
The Queensland under-20 ace can play fullback, centre, five-eighth and hooker, but his preference is to cement the Roosters’ No. 6 jumper alongside Pearce.
“There’s no guarantees from the Roosters,” he said. “I’d like to play five-eighth eventually and that’s where I feel most comfortable.
“I look up to Mitchell Pearce, I really like his game and I think I play a bit like him. He has a strong running game and he’s an Origin half, so there would be nothing better than learning alongside him.
“I’ve met with Trent Robinson and he was really good. He reminds me a lot of my under-20 coach at the Broncos, Craig Hodges, so I’m looking forward to learning from Trent.
“I’ve just started drinking caramel lattes. I’m getting ready for life in the eastern suburbs.’’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/broncos-young-gun-jayden-nikorima-says-he-joined-roosters-to-play-first-grade/story-fniabm4i-1227504135496

Feel a little peeved off after all the Broncos did for him but that's just my opinion

Fair enough, same sort of scenario as Taylor. As Bennett said, we're just planting seeds in Sydney clubs, letting them grow, and then when it's harvest time, hopefully a couple of them come home.

Isn't Hastings supposed to be more talented? From what I've seen of him, he looks the goods already.

Isn't Hastings supposed to be more talented? From what I've seen of him, he looks the goods already.

I can't compare the two but I would be stunned if Easts don't go with a Hastings/Pearce partnership. The Roosters have a huge challenge next year, RTS and Maloney's departure is going to leave a big gap. Will be interesting to see if Robinson can keep his record going.

He could've left to play first grade on $1 a season. Money talks in the end.

Oh please the money did come into it.
Seldom have I ever seen a comment as negative as this. 200 k is small beer especially considering it is for 3 years totalling 600 k. I expect to earn just about that myself without making a tackle. If he stayed he probably wouldn't have earned much less. Always the worst about people hey.

We all would have done the same thing and he will be back. I can completely understand and forgive this decision...but caramel lattes? THAT'S unforgiveable!

Feel a little peeved off after all the Broncos did for him but that's just my opinion

You mean signed Boyd and Milford to play ahead of him? Why should he feel grateful about that?

I can understand him leaving as there doesn't appear at this stage if he would get much opportunity here next year unless there were injuries.

The fact that several clubs were chasing him obviously indicates that he is rated.

Also in his favour is the fact he can play in several positions. Given the roosters are losing some players in those positions they could be a good fit for him.

I will follow his progress next year with interest and wish him all the best except when he plays the broncos.

Seldom have I ever seen a comment as negative as this. 200 k is small beer especially considering it is for 3 years totalling 600 k. I expect to earn just about that myself without making a tackle. If he stayed he probably wouldn't have earned much less. Always the worst about people hey.

I will bring out the violin & harp.
violin.gif
harp.gif

It would be written in his contract that if he plays a certain amount of 1st grade games, he gets more money.

I feel blessed to be on this forum with a Saint like you.
images

I think going to the storm would've been better for his development, but he'll have plenty of room to move (assuming he even plays fg over Hastings, who the rorters seem to love) behind a capless forward pack.

Bit harsh their mate he was stuck down the pecking order here and he was offered a contract elswhere with some more opportunity and he took it. It's dissapiinting losing up and coming players but considering the limited time they have playing professional sport they should take whatever chance they get.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • Big Del
  • Rambstien
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bish
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Mr Fourex
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.