Nines / Trial Games

I really liked what I saw from Croft. Dearden was looking sharp as well I thought. If Milf can't fire even with Croft directing the attack, I think Dearden would make a good 5/8. He's got good footwork and is a dangerous runner, looks half a chance whenever he takes on the line.

I think Turpin, Croft and Bird can form a strong combination. Glad we've got through the trials mostly injury free, just got to hope that Glenn's hammy is all good in 2 weeks time.

18501a9514e0cc2e8610d7ccd81b3ecb.gif

Not much talk about Flegler but he was rubbish. His brain farts and errors far outweighed anything good he did. We need to be more disciplined this year.

My takeaways -

I really enjoyed having Bird at fullback, he's the clear front runner for mine. Croft seeming like an absolute brilliant buy.

Complelety unsold on Boyd as a center.

Broncos to win Round 1 by 12.

Dearden swinging over to the left side to link up with Gamble (?) was something I enjoyed too.

Man our defence was bad. Looked to me like Kennedy had two crucial lapses which led to back to back tries. Very worrying regardless of the fact it was a trial game.
Yep I think last nights outcome was a result of a sum of lazy individual efforts and brain dead plays.
spot on! We keep praising players like Haas but things like that lazy defence on the line needs to be called out and accounted for. Fiffita is guilty of it as well. Great players with the ball in hand and generally good in defence but those kind of efforts need to be stamped out of their game.
If they expect to be future leaders of the club, those things need to go. Same with TPJ and flegler with their brain explosions.
Its very frustrating to see players fail to develop past their deficiencies.
Things like darius's drop ball i can live with as it is an error from rustiness early in the season but just compounding mistakes with poor dicipline is inexcusable. Flegler and TPJ both need to put on notice about those parts of their game.
I just wish Carrigan was a little older, because he may then have the influence to cure these problems. The way he approaches games has me thinking Wolfie is onto a winner there.
I guarantee that wont be the last time he captains a team, possibly even this season.

Our tries with the full strength 1st half team were opportunistic ones at best;
- Coates dive in the corner, came off a shocking mid field Milf bomb that was caught by an offside Croft who shovelled it out the back against a retreating staggered GC line.
- Turpins dart through the scrum, was heads up play from the hooker instead of blindly shovelling along out the back.
- Fleglers hole running off a Milford short ball, was a credit to the big man powering over against two feeble GC tackle attempts.

But the last try was the best of the night - laid on by Dearden-Gamble stacking up the left side, with surprisingly good pace from Kennar drawing the fullback perfectly for Arthars to touch down.

All this talk about composure and connections all through the pre-season was barely evident out there in attack and defence from our strongest 13.
If he was really being honest about competitiveness for spots, the coach needs to put a rocket up the likes of Milford, Boyd and TPJ. Give them a spell in Q cup, while handing Dearden/Gamble, Arthars/Kenner and Hopoate/Bullemor/Rikki deserved starts.

Last edited:
It is just the trials, but there are some worrying signs similar to last year. Not playing the full 80, shitty defence, etc.

I just hope it doesn't get to the "Oh, it's only early on in the season", "Oh, we aren't even halfway through the season", "Oh, we'll be right once we get our full strength team post Origin" and the "Oh, there's always next year" stages.

Flegler looked like a beast I thought. He's gotten bigger, stronger and more damaging. Definitely needs to hold onto the ball though.

I was pretty happy with Coates last night and I think she should be given the 1st shot at the wing spot.

Foordy said:
58-10 ... that is the score from the final trial in 2006, we were not on the right end of thatg scoreline ... 2006, was our last premiership team...

Sure it's a long season and trial performances don't necessarily define an entire year, but it wasn't like that game was a strange anomaly. Melbourne would go onto become the dominant team that year and Brisbane had their worst start to a season in their club history.

We're also comparing two vastly different approaches. The Broncos treated last night as a dress rehearsal while that 2006 trial was an experiment with Karmichael at 7. They didn't play Lockyer, Hodges and Berrigan who would later feature against the Cowboys and both Carroll and Tate were coming back from injury and wouldn't be available until later in the season.

As it stands, the Broncos are going to have to make some changes otherwise they're in for a very forgettable season.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Jedhead
  • Nerd
  • I bleed Maroon
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Midean
  • Johnny92
  • Spooky1013
  • broncsgoat
  • Harry Sack
  • Bish
  • Browny
  • Spoon
  • Santa
  • Maddy
  • Socnorb
  • mrslong
  • Skathen
  • cento
  • winslow_wong
... and 52 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.