CROSS FORUM NRL 2023 Round 19 Discussion

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
This State of Origin period really makes a bit of a farce of the competition doesn't it? I mean the dogs up against Souths without Cook, Walker and co. I'll take our win against the Eels but missing all the players they had out (thanks Freddie, love your support for us) does make it a bit hollower.

It does...didn't stop us beating you guys though hehe

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Origin does make it hard but the coaching staff at Souths won't be talking about the key players they had out, they'll be talking about how it doesn't take those players out there to make tackles.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Egan continues his best season with a big break up the middle, this time Sivo comes up with a great try saver. On the last, Metcalf decides to back himself from dummy half and despite taking the wrong option gets there anyway.
How was that not an obstruction call.?
Metcalf runs behind the runner (walker), I was stunned it wasn't looked at and overturned.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
How was that not an obstruction call.?
Metcalf runs behind the runner (walker), I was stunned it wasn't looked at and overturned.
The same thought crossed my mind, but they seem fairly consistent on letting it go as long as the defence has enough time to adjust.

wizards rage

NZWarriors
Looking forward to the Dolphins vs Titans game today.

It’s that time of the season where the loser in these games almost puts a line through their top 8 chances. A lot to play for!

Broncos Maestro

Broncos Maestro

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
The Eels are not a premiership team as they rely too much on Guthro (yuck) and Moses. At least Souths had some fight in them.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
he's gone full stupid.

a shoulder charge making contact with the head, accidental or not has been a sin bin for several years
Yeah, the jury is out on JD for me. I think he is a good coach and he has a track record of success but he has a narky edge to him when things don't go his way and he hasn't got it in him to let some stuff go through to the keeper.
I know the journos probe for a reaction but the good coaches just turn it into a dot ball and save their amo for when it counts.
I think it shows he is under pressure.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
coach at a presser when his player gets hurt:

this happened, then this happened , then this, and this, and that....

coach at a presser when his player is at fault:

sorry, didn't see it.

Haha so true.

Sorry didn’t see it clearly would have to watch the tape again.

And given ‘tapes’ haven’t been used since like the 90s, this is clearly a coaches response.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
The same thought crossed my mind, but they seem fairly consistent on letting it go as long as the defence has enough time to adjust.
I find it frustrating and confusing because in general play running behind a player, no matter what, is a penalty unless you stop and concede or do voluntary tackle.
The rules are a growing cluster.😖
The latest being the NRL decision to back the bungler in the Fifita push on Fogarty. There was a similar ruling in the Tigers Sharks game and everyone just accepted the call so now it's changed because of a mistake they didn't want to own.
My take on it is if a player runs in front of another player while chasing then decides to slow down and or lean back he is a blocker, he is no longer contesting the ball, he's playing the man.
If the player gets his position before the chasers arrive and is standing there then that's fine, he was there first and is entitled to stand his ground without being shoved out the way.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
maybe JD's whinging has paid off. Milne didn't get charged for a shoulder charge.

he got charged with a Grade 1 Careless High Tackle. it is his 3rd such charge, but he still won't miss a game if he takes the early guilty plea. it will be a $3k fine

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Screenshot 2023 07 09 113556

Canonball

NZWarriors
maybe JD's whinging has paid off. Milne didn't get charged for a shoulder charge.

he got charged with a Grade 1 Careless High Tackle. it is his 3rd such charge, but he still won't miss a game if he takes the early guilty plea. it will be a $3k fine
that was a bin everyday of the week - the idea that it was careless can only stem from it not being well executed ... i get the frustration coaches may have with the bunker and the citing system etc. but that's quite different from calling something harmless or unfortunate when it was neither of those things - it's like JD is countering stupid with more stupid

Unread

Active Now

• phoenix
  • leon.bott
  • Redfern_1980
  • Mr Fourex
  • Swordfish
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Skathen
  • MrMoore
  • Accept
  • Fozz
  • Tim K
  • Galah
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • Tristan1990
  • RolledOates
  • Morkel
  • Justwin
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.