NRL 2023 Round 2 Discussion

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
View attachment 21324

We've been over this before but everyone calling it a double movement "because he promoted it" is flat out wrong.

Read the third line. It's very, very clear. If he would have made it over the line without promotion then a try is the right call.

These are the rules as of 2018, I don't know what it was before then but they ruled correctly according to the rules.
"From the position the ball has been grounded".

Ball was grounded under him against his chest. He then rolls over, lifts his arm and grounds the ball a second time near his head. Double movement.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
There is more people agreeing with us then you. The rule just was posted.

and all we're saying is that apparently the refs have been getting this rule wrong for decades at least

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
It's a dumb rule then. How can you tell if someone would've made it over the line without promoting the ball if they've promoted the ball?
It's a subjective call. Like 90% of the rules in this game, I'd like more black and white rules personally but then the commentary cries about no common sense so they go back to discretionary.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Yeah look, it's high time we tackled the burning issues..

You get to slap 1 bloke in the face, Hastings or Gamble?

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
and all we're saying is that apparently the refs have been getting this rule wrong for decades at least
It's was changed about 5 years I think because people were blowing up about it. The consistency is the problem. That decision today wasn't.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
In any case, it's just a case of subjective rules suiting the circumstances to manufacture a result. We have seen passing off the ground and this now, and honestly, I don't think this could be called Rugby League anymore.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
"From the position the ball has been grounded".

Ball was grounded under him against his chest. He then rolls over, lifts his arm and grounds the ball a second time near his head. Double movement.
Read the third line man.

If momentum gets them over the line in the opinion of the ref, it's a try regardless of the movement of the arm carrying the ball.

JayPee

JayPee

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2017
In any case, it's just a case of subjective rules suiting the circumstances to manufacture a result. We have seen passing off the ground and this now, and honestly, I don't think this could be called Rugby League anymore.
Why do you constantly always have a tinfoil hat on? Not everything is a conspiracy.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
Read the third line man.

If momentum gets them over the line in the opinion of the ref, it's a try regardless of the movement of the arm carrying the ball.
Ok. Then, strong dislike and sadness at many missed tries of the past.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
It's was changed about 5 years I think because people were blowing up about it. The consistency is the problem. That decision today wasn't.
Exactly.

These live threads are getting schizo tier

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Yeah look, it's high time we tackled the burning issues..

You get to slap 1 bloke in the face, Hastings or Gamble?
Gamble is a broncos legend... he should be the one slapping Hastings in the face

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I don't recall it strongly enough to have an opinion but I 100% agree with the bunker on this call.

It's a subjective call but I believe momentum would have got him over if he didn't promote.

Of course consistency would be nice.

Go to 1:10:40

Hosking promotes the ball forward to score his body ended up going past the line as well.

They gave no try.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
It's a subjective call. Like 90% of the rules in this game, I'd like more black and white rules personally but then the commentary cries about no common sense so they go back to discretionary.

Either every rule should be subjective or none of them should be and the NRL should make that clear. No way was there any obstruction in the Oates no try because Walsh took the pass on the outside of a player who ran through the line unobstructed but that's a non-subjective rule so it was a no try. This is why the refs look like fuckwits.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Aldo
  • Allo
  • Swordfish
  • Bucking Beads
  • mieko
  • Bish
  • MrMoore
  • LittleDavey
  • Brocko
  • Justwin
  • Harry Sack
  • sooticus
  • winslow_wong
  • Manlyman
  • Alec
  • Behind enemy lines
  • FACTHUNT
  • Galah
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.