NRL General Discussion Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Ivan Cleary's probably dreading the phone call ...

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
If these tigers punk halves are demanding 800k each than Norman should be demanding a mill

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
If these tigers punk halves are demanding 800k each than Norman should be demanding a mill
If that's the case, we better find a few more TPA's for Milf.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
Got a text Jason Taylor sacked.
Not surprised.

Until last night I'd considered Raiders and Tigers roughly on par. Both talented but inconsistent and defensively frail.

There's no way to spin that 60-6 scoreline though. Taylor hasn't shown the ability to deliver acceptable results over any sustained period. That latest '' effort '' is just the icing on the cake.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Anyone else see the Sunday Footy show they reckon Anthony Mundine has been talking to the dragons about making a comeback, found this story but surely this is a gee-up.
[h=1]Anthony Mundine wants to make an NRL comeback at 40 years old[/h]April 23, 2016 10:00pmPhil RothfieldThe Sunday Telegraph

news-plus.svg

Play

0:00

/

1:02

Fullscreen

Mute

[h=3]Corey Parker downplays fiery moment[/h]
external

origin:video_integrator.9ucncxMzE615A1zuooGfxTiJRFqNssjo

ANTHONY Mundine knows rugby league fans will laugh at him. At 40 years of age he has confirmed he wants to make an NRL comeback.
True story. Choc thinks he can successfully return to St George Illawarra, the club he quit in 2000 to become a boxing world champion.
“If I’ve got a dream that I believe I’m capable of achieving then I’ll have a crack,” he says.
WHAT’S THE BUZZ: Saint, Sinner, Shoosh
“If I fail then I fail. I’ll have a go at something else.
“People can laugh all they want. If you fail at something, so what. As long as you gave it your best.
Must Read

story-fni0cx12-1230cec505955fdaf3302cb2197dfeae

“I know with my skills I can still be one of the best five-eighths in the game.”
It sounds crazy that he would be even thinking about it. But the Man has been in contact with Dragons CEO Peter Doust and wants to give it a shot.
“I’ve played in three grand — finals and won one in Super League, which doesn’t count,” he says, “I want a real one.
“Age doesn’t define me. I’m 40 but I feel like I’m 25. My body hasn’t had the year-in-year-out punishment from rugby league. I left the game in my prime.
“I know I’ve still got the skill. It’s about getting the speed back and training as a sprinter to achieve that. I played rugby league at four. I played for 20 years.”

He insists the Dragons are the only club he’d play for. He doesn’t expect a sign-on fee and would give it a go for match payments only.
“I had a chat with Peter Doust about it,” Mundine said, “He rang me to ask me about the rumours I wanted to come back. I just told him it’s not a joke and I’m deadly serious.
5c83b74b95f5790f6b44cec445689eeb
Anthony Mundine back in 1998 playing for the Dragons.“He knows I’m an extraordinary athlete. I’m a cut above normal athletes, mentally and physically.
“My whole career has been about pioneering. I’m an explosive juggernaut. That’s the intrigue — can the magician bring out his tricks again?
17caac86bcaaeabb7bc614adf30e3eb1
Anthony Mundine is plenty of things but never boring.“Imagine Mundine verse Thurston. The somersaults and all that stuff.
“I know I’m coming to an end but I’ve still got the desire.
“To anybody who has a dream, chase it. Just don’t leave it at the cemetery.”
Mundine still wants to fight Danny Green next year before attempting the rugby league comeback.
He is still recovering from recent hip surgery in the UK and is doing his rehab under the care of legendary sporting mentor Dick Caine.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
Mundine is just talking shit, playing the PR game. Same deal with his heel act in boxing. Whatever it takes to pique the public's interest.

He's honestly smarter than many people think. He might cop some flak for it but he does a good job keeping his name out there, despite being largely irrelevant.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Hip surgery? He better bring his Zimmer frame.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Mundine is just talking shit, playing the PR game. Same deal with his heel act in boxing. Whatever it takes to pique the public's interest.

He's honestly smarter than many people think. He might cop some flak for it but he does a good job keeping his name out there, despite being largely irrelevant.

Is there a fight coming up?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I think Braith's comments about Cummins on the Matty Johns show last night were a bit ridiculous. Going on that Cummins has been horrible towards the Roosters for years.

They have a 48.57% (17 from 35) win record with Cummins.

They have received 107 penalties for and 148 penalties against.

I wouldn't necessarily call that horrible.

And the last time they were in the Grand Final, who was one of the refs? And who made some calls that favoured them?

Last edited:
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
George Rose just said on League Nation that he wouldn't want to play for Qld as he wouldn't want to play for losers. Said in jest but nonetheless, idiot!

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I think Braith's comments about Cummins on the Matty Johns show last night were a bit ridiculous. Going on that Cummins has been horrible towards the Roosters for years.

They have a 48.57% (17 from 35) win record with Cummins.

They have received 107 penalties for and 148 penalties against.

I wouldn't necessarily call that horrible.

And the last time they were in the Grand Final, who was one of the refs? And who made some calls that favoured them?

And remember, this is a team that for the last 3-4 years has deliberately given away penalties in order to reset their defensive line.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
The defense from some of the media for Robinson is baffling and disappointing (although not surprising). It doesn't matter what he thinks you cannot come out and say stuff like that. As Bill Harrigan said he is running a fine line with being sued for defamation.

The best quote I have heard in all of this was from MG, where he says Robinson wants to blame Cummins for the loss yet Ben Cummins doesn't come out and attack Jackson Hastings for blowing a 4 on 1 overlap that would have won them the game.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
It's all a smokescreen. Everyone is talking about Robinson and nobody is talking about how the dog-tamperer is back this week.:spy:

ChewThePhatt

ChewThePhatt

NRL Player
Contributor
Dec 28, 2015
Wasn't sure where to post this....
I've just read on Fox that Ethan Lowe has been linked to us for next year. Gillet out, Lowe in? Does anyone know any more and what do you think? He's been playing great footy for the Cows. If we do lose Gillet, I for 1 would love him here!
Cheers

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Wasn't sure where to post this....
I've just read on Fox that Ethan Lowe has been linked to us for next year. Gillet out, Lowe in? Does anyone know any more and what do you think? He's been playing great footy for the Cows. If we do lose Gillet, I for 1 would love him here!
Cheers
I think it's been mentioned previously that Lowe would be a handy replacement for Gillette if he decided to leave.

I think Gillett is leaning more towards staying here though, if what you read in some tabloids is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • kman
  • broncotville
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Financeguy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncorob
  • Wolfie
  • leon.bott
  • Big Del
  • mitch222
  • FACTHUNT
  • Foordy
  • Bish
  • Galah
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.