Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Who is corvo

Broncos high performance manager, he's the reason we went from overweight under Griffin to one of the fittest clubs in the comp under Bennett. Not that it'll make a massive difference in origin camp, but I'm sure it'll help some.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Broncos high performance manager, he's the reason we went from overweight under Griffin to one of the fittest clubs in the comp under Bennett. Not that it'll make a massive difference in origin camp, but I'm sure it'll help some.

he actually got hired by Griffin in his final year before Bennett took over, Bennett just made the great decision to keep him on.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Gordy has now made my "go and get fucked" list too now.

Triple-M were bringing up the Blair chicken-wing, and Tallis effectively called Bennett a hypocrite for defending Blair publicly. That if Bennett thinks Blair did the wrong thing, and spoke to Blair privately about it, then he should have said the same thing publicly. The others said that often coaches will support their player privately while chastising them privately, in order to keep team morale. "That's what it takes to win games" one said. "Exactly, that's what I was waiting for" was Tallis' reply. So basically Tallis wanted to push the point that Bennett would happily say something to the media that may not be the complete story, if it helped them win games. Like this was somehow a shock and it made Bennett a liar or dishonourable.

Even better though was the discussion of the salary cap. One of the guys said that Gordon was apparently on "3 million over 4 years", and then states that the Eels have only got to their current position by cheating over the last few years, adding Norman, Watmough, Foran, Jennings etc. "Then how does Brisbane get Roberts then?" Tallis asks. What's more baffling is that no more than 30 seconds later, he says that a draft would not be the answer because players like Bowen might not get to play for the Cowboys which means so much to him. So Tallis acknowledges that players have motivations above financial for why they want to play for Club A over Club B, but Roberts playing for the Broncos would be because we're cheating the cap, not because he's willing to play for less money to play for a stronger, better managed club (and Bennett).

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Gordy has now made my "go and get fucked" list too now.

Triple-M were bringing up the Blair chicken-wing, and Tallis effectively called Bennett a hypocrite for defending Blair publicly. That if Bennett thinks Blair did the wrong thing, and spoke to Blair privately about it, then he should have said the same thing publicly. The others said that often coaches will support their player privately while chastising them privately, in order to keep team morale. "That's what it takes to win games" one said. "Exactly, that's what I was waiting for" was Tallis' reply. So basically Tallis wanted to push the point that Bennett would happily say something to the media that may not be the complete story, if it helped them win games. Like this was somehow a shock and it made Bennett a liar or dishonourable.

Even better though was the discussion of the salary cap. One of the guys said that Gordon was apparently on "3 million over 4 years", and then states that the Eels have only got to their current position by cheating over the last few years, adding Norman, Watmough, Foran, Jennings etc. "Then how does Brisbane get Roberts then?" Tallis asks. What's more baffling is that no more than 30 seconds later, he says that a draft would not be the answer because players like Bowen might not get to play for the Cowboys which means so much to him. So Tallis acknowledges that players have motivations above financial for why they want to play for Club A over Club B, but Roberts playing for the Broncos would be because we're cheating the cap, not because he's willing to play for less money to play for a stronger, better managed club (and Bennett).

Gordon Tallis is a **** head, a **** head with a very low IQ. The only people I am more dirty on than Tallis is the fuckheads like Paul Kunt and Anthony Maroon that don't call him on it.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
Yeah I was listening to that too. FMD they gave it to Anthony Maroon today, I personally thought they overstepped the mark a number of times. I don't listen to the show all the time, so maybe that's just the way they are to each other.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Yeah I was listening to that too. FMD they gave it to Anthony Maroon today, I personally thought they overstepped the mark a number of times. I don't listen to the show all the time, so maybe that's just the way they are to each other.

Yeah I only get to hear it on occasion, but I think they all cop it at different times. I was laughing when they were up Girdler on his kids working in sweatshop-like conditions, making banana bread to sell in his overpriced cafe.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
I loved Gordie as a player, but in retirement he and his opinions are totally irrelevant

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Brian Canavan is the new Head of Football.

Bit of a kick in the guts for the Titans. They just got the guy.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
He is a good choice for sure but yeah, Gold Coast just can't take a trick.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Saw this and it gave me a chuckle

13220988_1131481693578861_6111172157841507792_n.jpg

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
So the other NRL clubs are going to foot the bill for the poorly-run teams? The NSWRL is a complete joke.

NRL explore ‘strata-like’ deal

THE NRL could introduce a strata-like sinking fund to bail out broke clubs from 2018 with the game’s governing body wanting to distance itself from topping up struggling sides.
The prospect of self-funding clubs on the brink of financial disaster was raised at the first combined chief executive and chairman meeting hosted by NRL boss Todd Greenberg.
Each club attended — some by two representatives — at the three hour long meeting at the NRL’s Moore Park headquarters which was largely described as a “success” and “uneventful” by rival club bosses. Parramatta were represented by board members Geoff Gerard and Paul Garrard.
The licence agreement — which will come into play in 2018 — dominated discussions with the NRL bound by the new television contract to have 16 teams, meaning they will need to be in a position to move quickly should a club hit financial ruin.
It cost the NRL about $10 million to bail out Gold Coast and Newcastle in recent years while St George Illawarra owe the NRL $6.6 million under former boss Dave Smith’s three year reign. The NRL made it clear that there will minimal funds available for club’s under financial distress when the new funding model comes into play which will mean club’s grants are bumped up significantly.
Several options were discussed should a club become insolvent including reviving the team or offering a new license.
One option which was flagged was that all club’s should pitch in as part of their license agreement to keep the club going. It was then mooted that a sinking fund be introduced. It would mirror the setup of strata apartments, where club’s would contribute an agreed upon financial amount which the embattled club could draw upon if needed.
The fund would ensure money is not siphoned from the grassroots level and Country Rugby League.
While third party agreements were not discussed, Rugby League players Association boss Ian Prendergast also addressed the meeting.

“Today was a great opportunity to address the CEOs and chairs about our philosophy and the approach we’re taking to CBA negotiation which is going to be about working in partnership with the clubs and the NRL to address a whole range of areas within the game that need improving so we can set ourselves up for the future,” Prendergast said.
“One issue that we’re looking to deal with is the ability for club’s and players to negotiate contracts beyond 2017.”
The current collective bargaining agreement ends in 2017 with the salary cap unknown beyond next season.
Prendergast also expressed concerns surrounding the proposed abolishment of ratchet clauses which were mooted in the memorandum of understanding.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Why the **** would other clubs pay to prop up struggling clubs especially St George who won the title not long ago. If these clubs cant get their shit together, take their licences off them and give them to other clubs who can make a go of it.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
While I agree that I hate the idea of bailing out poorly managed clubs, the reality is that the NRL money depends heavily on TV rights.

If you start taking out teams from the comp, you're not only wrecking supporter bases, but you're going to decimate TV rights income. That's not good for any clubs.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
While I agree that I hate the idea of bailing out poorly managed clubs, the reality is that the NRL money depends heavily on TV rights.

If you start taking out teams from the comp, you're not only wrecking supporter bases, but you're going to decimate TV rights income. That's not good for any clubs.

I'm sure there are plenty of other regions and bids who'll happily take on licence numbers 14 to 16.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
They are going to have the same profitability issues. There's no money outside of the big cities, Sydney's full, AFL states don't care and Perth is very expensive to run a team in.

Realistically, there's only room to move teams or licenses to Brisbane.

I don't think the answer is to hand over cash unconditionally to keep clubs going (and I don't think that other clubs should pay for it, that's an NRL thing), but you also can't just move clubs around and expect them to be successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Bish
  • Galah
  • Culhwch
  • Brocko
  • mitch222
  • Waynesaurus
  • BRC088
  • sooticus
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.