NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the problem either........disciplinary measures have been dished up at sports/RL training since Artie was in short pants.

I remember having to do laps for being late to training.......
I remember the entire front row lining up against me (a halfback) and I was expected to tackle them.......cause I was being a smart arse.
etc etc etc.......

All this talk about big bad Ciraldo and his training methods are too mean for the players is a fucken joke.

Its so typical of the molly coddled world we now live in. Own your mistakes FFS.......take your punishment and move on.
To some extent it is just the media beating this out of proportion, but having something traditionally being accepted doesn't automatically make it correct.

That being said, in terms of private organisations, if the rules/consequences are laid out in front of you and you break them, then you gotta lump it. If the player leaves because of it, well then he has done the right thing for himself and shouldn't be criticized for it. If the club says, those are our policies, take it or leave it, that should be the end of the discussion.
All this 3rd party involvement just makes it into a fiasco. The news media should just point out the facts, the problem is them offering their shit opinions like gospel. Then they aren't news media, they are a gossip mag for a market of predominantly sweaty men.

Back on the Bulldogs, this is what happens when you get it wrong in recruitment and treat players like cattle. It creates a toxic environment and it only dissolves faster when the writing is on the wall and key players suffer injuries.

I doubt this will faze Gus and he'll continue to remain the course. I don't think his radical approach is even wrong, when you look through that roster, how many players would you genuinely classify as quality? On last count I came up with six: Addo-Carr, Kiraz, Burton, Mahoney, Kikau & Preston.

It's a tough job and when things go wrong you have to wear it. However I believe they're on the right track and I have faith that they will turn it around by 2025.

The Bulldogs finally have their franchise player in Matt Burton. He's been a superstar ever since the U/20s Origin and with a premiership under his belt the sky is the limit for him. My concern is that Matt Burton is a 21 year old who is going from a great team to Penrith to having to lead a team that hasn't been relevant for five years. When Brad Fittler made the switch to Sydney he was 24 years old and had 22 Tests and 15 Origins to his name. It would take a phenomenal effort for Matt to have the same impact at Canterbury and while it's going to happen sooner than later it may not transpire right away.

What has me concerned with Canterbury is the signing of players like Pangai Jr, Vaughan, Dufty and Naden. On their day they're match winners capable of plays others dream of. Then there are other days where they get completely bamboozled and frustrated putting their team mates under undue pressure. I don't think Canterbury had anything to lose by signing them but by the same token if you're trying to implement a new culture they're not the players I would turn to.

This is partially what I wrote about their 2022 recruitment.

I see a lot of Fittler in Burton and as good as Freddy was, I struggle to see him making the same impact in 1993 as he did in 1996.

I rated the talent the Bulldogs bought, but questioned the culture they were building. All four players that were on the nose are now out of the club. Are Liam Knight and Bronson Xerri going to turn things around?

****, Bronson Xerri. I forgot about that flog.

That'll be interesting.

There will be a time in your life where things aren't so great, I just hope you're afforded a bit more compassion than you're prepared to give others.
There have been plenty of times. I have never asked to be given special treatment for unprofessional behaviour due to personal circumstances.

I have not said once this bloke shouldn't be given any help from the club or the NRL. All I've said, is he shouldn't be given special treatment and avoid any punishment for not fulfilling his work obligations.

Nothing fixes a culture like bringing in a drug cheat.
Hey! That's reformed Drug Cheat! He did the time, unlike many others at the Sharks (Paul Gallen), as well as the 8th Immortal (different drugs). You gotta respect a person who actually suffers the consequences and still works hard to come back. Especially if you're guilty of watching Paul Gallen earning decent coin as a pundit. Same goes for the Storm salary cap cheats who now have lucrative careers after suffering Zero consequences.

According to reports, Souths are considering moving Latrell from fullback to centre and putting Wighton at fullback next year.

I don't see it happening, and if it does, I can totally see Latrell kicking stones as a result of it.

In the same article, there was a claim that a high ranking Souths official wanted to try and bring back Burgess to be head coach of Souths next year. They wanted to do a swap deal with Warrington giving Warrington JD and Souths getting Burgess back.

Also regarding Burgess, he's going to be coaching Warrington despite the fact that he doesn't have the required certificates to be a head coach.

RFL decided to make an exception. I wonder how much that cost Russell.

According to reports, Souths are considering moving Latrell from fullback to centre and putting Wighton at fullback next year.

I don't see it happening, and if it does, I can totally see Latrell kicking stones as a result of it.

In the same article, there was a claim that a high ranking Souths official wanted to try and bring back Burgess to be head coach of Souths next year. They wanted to do a swap deal with Warrington giving Warrington JD and Souths getting Burgess back.
Saw something about this yesterday, but it seems such a nothing article with zero credibility.

Souths season just finished... why would they already be thinking about positional changes?

Latrell is their best player and needs to have his hands on the ball as much as possible, what value does moving him to centre provide.

The old "source close to Souths" is probably just old mate journo standing up at his desk and asking who thinks Souths might move Latrell to centre and then waiting for someone to put their hand up.

If they reckon Latrell is lazy at fullback, he'll be even worse at centre. Sucked in, I say. He's always been lazy, egotistical and a sook, I can at least applaud the Roosters for walking away from him when it was obvious he wasn't willing to grow up. And, as long as clubs were willing to overlook his issues and treat him differently because of his talent, he had no reason to better himself. In fact, allowing his attitude to continue to foster, I wouldn't be surprised if Latrell himself doesn't even realise there is anything wrong with his attitude. Let's see if this latest drama forces Souths' hand and they address it, or they do what almost every other club has done, pat him on the back, say he's perfect and it's just the media and jealousy out there, and shove him back out on the field.

Hey! That's reformed Drug Cheat! He did the time, unlike many others at the Sharks (Paul Gallen), as well as the 8th Immortal (different drugs). You gotta respect a person who actually suffers the consequences and still works hard to come back. Especially if you're guilty of watching Paul Gallen earning decent coin as a pundit. Same goes for the Storm salary cap cheats who now have lucrative careers after suffering Zero consequences.
funny thing is if you look at his insta over the time he was banned he looks like he hasnt stopped lol

Has Wighton even played much at fullback? I thought he primarily switched between a no.6 or centre......?

.............. pat him on the back, say he's perfect and it's just the media and jealousy out there, and shove him back out on the field.

Latrell only gets picked on because he's indigenous......just ask Anthony Mundine.

Has Wighton even played much at fullback? I thought he primarily switched between a no.6 or centre......?
He started his career at fullback but has been many years since he played there

He replaced Milford at fullback and spent four seasons in the position before finally returning to 6 in 2019.

Coming through he was always a centre/five eighth and primarily played wing/centre in the NRL.

Other game head-to-heads:

Panthers v Warriors
1. Edwards Panthers
2. DWZ Warriors
3. Tago Panthers
4. Crichton Panthers
5. To'o Panthers
6. TMM Warriors
7. Cleary Warriors
8. AFB Warriors
9. Egan Warriors
10. JFH Panthers
11. Sorensen Panthers
12. Martin Panthers
13. Yeo Panthers

14. Walker Warriors
15. Smith Panthers
16. Leniu Panthers
17. Curran Warriors

10-7 Panthers

Sharks v Roosters
1. Tedesco Roosters
2. Katoa Sharks
3. Smith Roosters
4. Manu Roosters
5. Mulitalo Sharks
6. Keary Roosters
7. Hynes Sharks
8. Rudolf Sharks
9. Smith Roosters
10. Collins Roosters
11. Nikora Sharks
12. Graham Sharks
13. Radley Roosters

14. Smith Roosters
15. Hunt Sharks
16. May Roosters
17. Crichton Roosters

10-7 Roosters but honestly a lot of these are a toss of the coin and there are injuries I haven't factored in

Knights v Raiders
1. Ponga Knights
2. Young Knights
3. Timoko Raiders
4. Best Knights
5. Cotric Raiders
6. Gamble Knights
7. Fogarty Raiders
8. Saifiti Knights
9. Woolford Raiders
10. Tapine Raiders
11. Frizell Knights
12. Whitehead Raiders
13. Elliott Knights

14. Starling Raiders
15. Saifiti Knights
16. Hetherington Knights
17. Croker Knights

10-7 Knights and honestly this is two teams that have some big holes in the head to head. Raiders are banged up but they have a way of turning up when they need to. It will be closer than it looks...,maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xarr
  • Battler
  • Johnny92
  • pennywisealfie
  • Brocko
  • Alec
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.