NRL General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a more punchable face in the game? Plus he’s such a boring bloke to listen to.

But……. He does have a solid knowledge of the game. If I were NSW, putting him in an advisory role would be more appropriate, like a director of football in soccer. Behind the scenes but giving guidance and support to the main man.

Qld are just light years ahead with Slater.

What makes people think he would fail?

He won 6 from 8 when he was coach of NSW with one of those being the drawn series in '02. NSW dominated Origin under him.

If there's one person south of the border that gets Origin, it's him.

He probably would end up failing, who knows? But with the current crop of players he would have to work with, I wouldn't be so sure.
I don't know if he will fail or not. I only want for him to actually act, rather than sitting back like some guru and criticising. Words are cheap, and he is the king of hindsight.
Also, I only said that I would love to see him fail. Not that he would fail.

I've been catching up on the Ch. 9 podcasts. I always have plenty of time for Gus and I thought his discussion about what made Dylan Edwards so effective in defence and Reece Walsh so effective in attack was really well stated.

No shock at all he's pro Panther and just thinks the Broncos won't be able to handle their attack as well as the Panthers can handle there's. Also expects there to be a mistake factor for the Broncos that they won't be able to overcome.

I thought Gus' Dally M team of the list was pretty revealing.

1. Dylan Edwards
2. Brian To'o
3. Stephen Crichton
4. Bradman Best
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Ezra Mam
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Wayde Egan
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Hudson Young
12. Liam Martin
13. Isaah Yeo

Interestingly Gus was pretty dismissive of Haas in his pre-game appraisal. Basically said that JFH wouldn't be worried about him and would have a different role. Also said that there's areas in Haas' game that coaches would be aware of and made it sound like the Panthers will target him in attack.

They mucked up the trivia question. Name the three Brisbane Broncos who played for the Broncos in 06/15. Should have been four, they forgot about Hodges and there were six players that night when you include Blair and Hannant.

I've been catching up on the Ch. 9 podcasts. I always have plenty of time for Gus and I thought his discussion about what made Dylan Edwards so effective in defence and Reece Walsh so effective in attack was really well stated.

No shock at all he's pro Panther and just thinks the Broncos won't be able to handle their attack as well as the Panthers can handle there's. Also expects there to be a mistake factor for the Broncos that they won't be able to overcome.

I thought Gus' Dally M team of the list was pretty revealing.

1. Dylan Edwards
2. Brian To'o
3. Stephen Crichton
4. Bradman Best
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Ezra Mam
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Wayde Egan
10. James Fisher-Harris
11. Hudson Young
12. Liam Martin
13. Isaah Yeo

Interestingly Gus was pretty dismissive of Haas in his pre-game appraisal. Basically said that JFH wouldn't be worried about him and would have a different role. Also said that there's areas in Haas' game that coaches would be aware of and made it sound like the Panthers will target him in attack.

They mucked up the trivia question. Name the three Brisbane Broncos who played for the Broncos in 06/15. Should have been four, they forgot about Hodges and there were six players that night when you include Blair and Hannant.
Credit to you for being able to make it through that podcast. I stopped listening to 6 tackles months ago. I couldn’t take the virtual fellatio that Matt Thompson provides to Gus every week.

Credit to you for being able to make it through that podcast. I stopped listening to 6 tackles months ago. I couldn’t take the virtual fellatio that Matt Thompson provides to Gus every week.

Could not imagine two worse people to listen to and for an hour plus? Goodness me, voluntary torture. Why anyone listens to anything either of those two say when you can avoid it is beyond me. One bloke is so up himself it isn’t funny and the other sensationalises everything and has a grating voice.

Could not imagine two worse people to listen to and for an hour plus? Goodness me, voluntary torture. Why anyone listens to anything either of those two say when you can avoid it is beyond me. One bloke is so up himself it isn’t funny and the other sensationalises everything and has a grating voice.

Maybe I was looking too much into it but you could see from Thompson's reactions after hearing Gould's opinions that he didn't always agree but he was obviously either told to not question his views or doesn't have the testicles to do so. Either way, it makes for a boring podcast.

Maybe I was looking too much into it but you could see from Thompson's reactions after hearing Gould's opinions that he didn't always agree but he was obviously either told to not question his views or doesn't have the testicles to do so. Either way, it makes for a boring podcast.
I think I've watched one and Gould spent half the time on his phone looking completely disinterested and only there for the paycheck.

Thompson was asking questions trying to make anything sound interesting and looking over at Gus who seems to just ignore him half the time until an answer is finally drawn out of him from pestering.

I forgot to mention Gus was upset that the NSW Cup and Jersey Flegg wasn't played on Grand Final day and how unfair it was on the players and coaches. This had him hop on his soapbox about player development and grassroots and giving fans the opportunity to watch the future stars become NRL players.

When Thompson pressed him on QCup, Gus handwaved it and said they have their own competition and can work it out themselves.

I used to be an avid listener of the show before they brought Thompson on. As you pointed out Bfan, it seemed like Gus spent more time checking his phone and it was like pulling teeth to get him to answer questions. It's a shame because Bracey seemed to be better at keeping Gus engaged, getting him in a good mood and once he got Gus going, the stories would start flowing and you'd get something out of it.

You always have to take a lot of what Gus has to say with a grain of salt. However at least they are his opinions and he's not being forced to take a position to drive faux outrage.

So when are we going to talk about how this Penrith team are making a piss take out of the salary cap

Penrith don't come across as dodgy to me, they lost Kikau and Koroisau this year, they'll lose Leniu and Crichton next year. I've got them all being genuine rep players.

They've just got a real good crop of players coming through and they've found a way to hang on to them all, you usually see a promising rookie get poached, hasn't happened to them. They've also managed to unearth someone like Nathan Cleary who will be a mainstay in NSW/Australian rep sides for the next 10 or so years. I suspect they will lose Luai but I don't think that will stop them. Their props aren't the best in the NRL but as a combination, they're probably the best duo going around.

I would like to make a special mention of the boyz jumping ship, thanks for the spoon. Dog *****

Cleary - that is what we keep them up there for a long time. He owned that game, never seen anything like it. Look at how mediocre Luai is, it doesn't matter who is in the other positions if you've got this amazing talent steering you around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • KickHaas
  • sooticus
  • Financeguy
  • spanky
  • Gaz
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • Dexter
  • Galah
  • Pablo
  • Brocko
  • theshed
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Skyblues87
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.