NRL Player Movement and Rumours 2016

Re: NRL Player Movements and Rumours 2016

[TWEET]725132312262774784[/TWEET]

Congrats to him. Despite refusing to play for NSW and Australia he was a great player and is easily one of the best players of his time.

Congrats to him. Despite refusing to play for NSW and Australia he was a great player and is easily one of the best players of his time.

Of his generation maybe, but all time? That's a negative IMO.

*cough* Well, I'll show myself out....

My bad, Bman.

Even so, Lyon's career has had it's share of controversy.

A fantastic career by anyone's measure, and yet it still felt as if he underachieved. I suppose he did it all on his own terms, and Manly fans would appreciate his loyalty but he essentially took himself out of any non-Manly 'all-time' discussions by virtue of taking himself out of the representative scene. His unwillingness to represent his state and country hindered his standing in the game and caused a lot of people involved in the game to second guess his talents. It probably cost him hundreds of thousands, if not millions in terms of rep payments and third party deals. I suppose you really can't take the Wee Waa out of the guy.

It's a shame because not only was he the best club centre from 2009-2014, he was a Top 10 club player around that time as well.

When Ben Kennedy retired, there seemed to be a lot of conjecture surrounding Manly's future and their ability to win a premiership. Enter Jamie Lyon and suddenly the Sea Eagles had the missing piece of their premiership puzzle. It probably took Lyon awhile to adjust to the different standards and the conditioning required but once he did there was no looking back. He was a class above, even at five-eighth and I'd dare say without him Manly end up being the bridesmaids on both occasions.

Perhaps the biggest testament is the impact he had on the players outside of him. David Williams went from a forgotten reserve grade player at Parramatta to an Australian Test player almost overnight. I'd dare say anyone who played outside of him around that time improved tremendously and they owe some of their biggest career highlights to the man himself.

I don't think he's going to go down as a fan favourite like Ettingshausen or O'Connor but even his harshest critics had to admit the guy could play footy.

Last edited:

It's actually Wee Waa not Wee Woy. He did have his critics you're right Pete but I personally think that just comes from his refusal to play representative footy which was a shame as he was definitely good enough to perform at that level. He really is a throwback to the old days, he isn't physically imposing, he doesn't have the freakish skills, he wouldn't be the fittest at his club. He is a good ole beer drinking, pie eating footy player through and through.

Some people might think badly of him but I'll remember Lyon in a good way. Rated him very highly and he has had a great career.

I wonder how I got that confused? :laugh: (EDIT: That's right, I had business to take care of in Woy Woy this week that I was able to skip out on. Mystery solved.) Apologies to the fine people of Wee Waa.

Well said, Bman. You're right, Lyon wasn't an athlete but I don't think you're giving him enough credit. While a lot of it was just footy smarts, his skill-set really was that good and if you set up a criteria in terms of kicks, passes etc. he would rank right up there. We constantly hear about the Matthew Gidley flick pass - I thought Lyon was far more consistent with plays like that.

That's the issue with Lyon's decision to step down from representative people. One side will say that he was good enough while others will say that he just saved himself from the embarrassment of coming up against better opposition. Either way, he took him out of the conversation so I think he's limited his career to that of the club greats like a Jason Taylor or Jason Croker - guys who played rep but most don't think of them as rep players.

The other issue, and the one that probably hurt him the most in the media was his decision to walk out on Parramatta. Once that happened, he lost the support of a lot of powerful people in the media. Without those guys pushing his case he was just another guy as opposed to a superstar of the game.

Final thought...

Torso tries...

Last edited:

Apparently Coote has sacrificed huge money to stay at the Cowboys.

Damn. That's how you build a dynasty.

Yeah, until Thurston retires and all goes to shit and fraudsters like Morgan are finally exposed.

Torso tries. I hate you Jamie Lyon. But damn I respect you.

Yeah, until Thurston retires and all goes to shit and fraudsters like Morgan are finally exposed.

I reckon JT finally entered Locky and John's class (I still rate them as better players) when Morgan was picked for rep sides. The true great halves are able to carry average first graders to glory - look at Locky with Wallace and Perry for example.

Morgan is a good player in his own right, it is no surprise that the Cowboys have turned lethal with the spine they have, all four are quality players.

Today's CM is saying he turned down the Roosters offer, 4 years for 2.8million in favour of the Cows 2 years for 1million.

Today's CM is saying he turned down the Roosters offer, 4 years for 2.8million in favour of the Cows 2 years for 1million.

He'll get some of them JT dollars when he retires so will probably earn the same amount over the 4 years anyways.

Provided he doesn't turn back into glass.

With the cap going up, he might not be missing as much money as it seems.

Elijah Taylor has been released by the Panthers to join the Tigers effective immediately. Step in the right direction for them, very handy player.

XLBEc60.jpg

:lol:

Active Now

• sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.