NRL Player Movement and Rumours 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does sound like an awful amount of money, especially when the Tigers have been burned in the past for their awful management but a few things to consider.

The salary cap is reportedly set to increase by 43% next season. That means a 400K deal is worth around $230K on the current model. While that's still a lot of money for an unproven talent next to guys like Nikorima, Klemmer, Ponga and Haas it's around the same ball-park, if not lower.

Unlike a lot of backs his age, he's got the physical presence to succeed and could become a regular as early as this season, if not next.

Ben Barba has signed with Toulon

How does that work? Hasnt he signed with Cronulla?

Such bull.

How can cronulla claim he's on their books and missing those games via suspension, when he's playing another code in another country?

So his suspension is exactly what? Zero days?

If the NRL had any balls they would ensure that his suspension starts when he is actually suspended. As in when he is finished in Toulon he sits on the sideline for the amount of time he is meant to... but we all know that won't happen.

The NRL was in discussions with the Cronulla Sharks about advancing contract payments to superstar fullback Ben Barba to pay his mortgage and family bills while serving his 12-week suspension.

Still his agents Chris and Gavin Orr went ahead to organise a short term contract with French rugby club Toulon which has left his NRL career for the remainder of 2017 in jeopardy.

There is a school of thought at Moore Park headquarters that Barba’s suspension should now start when he returns home from France.

Otherwise it would open a loophole for other suspended players to do the same thing.

Barba’s contract with the Sharks to return in round 12 has yet to be registered by the NRL. So legally, he is not contracted as a Cronulla Sharks NRL player.

The NRL has in the past stopped contracted players from playing in other codes.

Benji Marshall once wanted to have a short off-season in Japanese rugby but was knocked back.

Barba’s problem is that he cannot survive and support his young family without a weekly cash flow.
He has little in savings and has previously undergone treatment for a gambling problem.

The Cronulla Sharks board is meeting this morning to discuss their next move.
Obviously they will be guided by whatever ruling integrity unit boss Nick Weeks comes up with.

The concern now for the NRL is Barba’s immediate welfare treatment.
They had been in discussions with the Sharks for weeks about an ongoing follow-up program to his recent treatment at a Thailand rehabilitation treatment.

Moving to a non-English speaking country is unlikely to be helpful.

The Sharks had no idea Barba was planning the move to French rugby.
Not until Shane Flanagan’s mobile phone rang at 10pm last night with agent Chris Orr breaking the news that his premiership winning fullback was heading overseas.

In fairness to Barba, he was been waiting for at least two weeks to get a contract registered with the NRL for the second half of the season.

His manager tried to contact NRL CEO Todd Greenberg yesterday but couldn’t get through.
So with mounting bills to pay, he chose the short term option of playing rugby in France.
Whether it’s the right long term decision only time will tell.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/d5d8bc4a25afa2059f1b507b73a3b355

This whole Barba thing is a mess ...

I personally don't think the Sharks should be able to get him back at the discounted price ... the NRL should be registering the contract at what it would have been worth this year, this is allowing the Sharks to get around the salary cap after winning the premiership. how many more favours do they need from the NRL... this would also open a very dangerous loophole, it would allow other clubs to sack expensive players for disciplinary problems and get them back for a cheaper deal a few months later.

Barba needs to be suspended for 12 NRL games from the date his next NRL contract starts, and if he goes over to france, surely the NRL won't register his new Sharks deal, since the deals state you are not able to play another code while contracted

He has little in savings?

What the **** did he do with all of his money?

This whole Barba thing is a mess ...

I personally don't think the Sharks should be able to get him back at the discounted price ... the NRL should be registering the contract at what it would have been worth this year, this is allowing the Sharks to get around the salary cap after winning the premiership. how many more favours do they need from the NRL... this would also open a very dangerous loophole, it would allow other clubs to sack expensive players for disciplinary problems and get them back for a cheaper deal a few months later.

Barba needs to be suspended for 12 NRL games from the date his next NRL contract starts, and if he goes over to france, surely the NRL won't register his new Sharks deal, since the deals state you are not able to play another code while contracted

Agree.

Paying his bills may be a concern and I feel for his wife & kids, but that's Barba's problem. I'm sympathetic to players with addiction issues, but it's clear that he won't help himself while he keeps getting bailed out. He's earning a fortune, let's not forget that, so if it means he needs to downgrade to a less fancy house or sell a car or two, maybe that is the wakeup call he needs. Bailing him out for like the 7th time in his career will not force him to confront the issues if the 1st to 6th bailouts didn't.

Lots of it...

170px-Coca-cola_(2).JPG

He could get a real job. I read that he was going to do brick laying but I guess that was too hard.

NRL should ban him from coming back. You cant get done for drugs in one code then just hop over to the other code until your ban is up.

So does WADA not get a say with that at all? I clearly don't understand how drugs in sport works.

So does WADA not get a say with that at all? I clearly don't understand how drugs in sport works.

I could be wrong, but i think since the drugs weren't PED's and the test was out of competition, then they may be limited in what they can do

It was out of competition. I'm also reasonably sure that the NRL isn't WADA compliant because of the recreational three strike policy is out of line with WADA standards.

I may be thinking of AFL though.

Also, didn't another player request to play union while under contract recently, and the NRL flat out refused it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Dash
  • Stix
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • Mr Fourex
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • winslow_wong
  • Porthoz
  • Wolfie
  • Jedhead
  • Foordy
  • broncsgoat
  • Behold
  • GCBRONCO
  • Browny
  • FACTHUNT
  • Robboi_321
  • Manofoneway
  • Waynesaurus
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.