NRL Player Movement and Rumours 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suli has been offered a lifeline by Manly on a bottom dollar one year deal.

Apparently, the Roosters are going to sign Baptiste according to nrl.com.

Now just to fill you in, he left the Raiders due to salary cap pressure, went to England, doesn’t like it and is returning. He is an in demand utility and again, the important point, left due to salary cap pressure at the Raiders.

No worries, the Roosters always have room, even after signing two of the biggest names in the comp, re-signing their in-demand NSW and best second rower in the game captain plus every other club’s kid on elevated money, but they still have cash left over.

Here are some comments by Massoud regarding the young bridge-burning prodigious talent, Moseses Suli, that gives his behaviour some context. (Forgive me if it has been posted already).

“You look for answers as to why and there’s got to be a subplot beneath the surface,” Massoud said on the Big Sports Breakfast. “There has been some tragedy in Moses Suli’s family in the last four years — he found his father dead at home from a heart attack when he was just 15 years of age.
“He’s the youngest of five kids in a big Islander family and probably relied on his dad a lot for guidance and as a father figure.
“You could probably say in the four years since his life went off the rails a little bit. He actually gave up football at the time after he found his father dead.
“He doesn’t drink, he doesn’t smoke, he doesn’t gamble — he’s not what you would call a bad kid but he just doesn’t have those professional structures in his life.”

Some comments around the web have said that he walked in on his father dead in a home gym, which may add some subtext to the whole thing. Though that may have just been a dry and distasteful joke.

Here are some comments by Massoud regarding the young bridge-burning prodigious talent, Moseses Suli, that gives his behaviour some context. (Forgive me if it has been posted already).

“You look for answers as to why and there’s got to be a subplot beneath the surface,” Massoud said on the Big Sports Breakfast. “There has been some tragedy in Moses Suli’s family in the last four years — he found his father dead at home from a heart attack when he was just 15 years of age.
“He’s the youngest of five kids in a big Islander family and probably relied on his dad a lot for guidance and as a father figure.
“You could probably say in the four years since his life went off the rails a little bit. He actually gave up football at the time after he found his father dead.
“He doesn’t drink, he doesn’t smoke, he doesn’t gamble — he’s not what you would call a bad kid but he just doesn’t have those professional structures in his life.”

Some comments around the web have said that he walked in on his father dead in a home gym, which may add some subtext to the whole thing. Though that may have just been a dry and distasteful joke.

That's pretty rough.

No, that is true. I heard this interview on Ray Hadley. It was also said that one of his brothers had been diagnosed with cancer recently.

TODD Carney has reportedly entered serious talks to join the North Queensland Cowboys in 2018 after declaring he is ready for another shot at the big time.

Carney returned to Australia in the summer in an attempt to land a shot at redemption with an NRL club and he is finally poised to do just that, according to Channel 7 reporter Josh Massoud.
Massoud on Monday night tweeted that Carney was on the verge of a one-year deal with the Cowboys as a back-up utility after recently undergoing testing with the club.

Carney is currently contracted to one of North Queensland’s feeder clubs, Intrust Super Cup side the Northern Pride, however he has a clause in his deal allowing him to leave should an NRL deal be struck.

Any deal with the Cowboys will have to be signed off by the NRL, with CEO Todd Greenberg on Monday reiterating his stance that an application to have a contract registered would be “considered on its merits”.
“I’ve never had an application for Todd Carney to come back and play in the National Rugby League,” Greenberg told Channel Nine News.
“I’ve been sitting in this chair for on two years now, if I get an application I’ll consider it on its merits but as of today I’ve never had one. We’d have to consider it carefully.”
News that Carney is on the verge of an NRL return comes after he told Channel Nine News he was motivated to return by his desire to fix his damaged reputation.
The former NSW five-eighth left the league after being sacked by Cronulla and deregistered in 2014 for the infamous “bubbler” incident.

“That’s one of the big reasons why I want to come back and play. Not to be remembered for the so-called bubbler,” Carney told Channel Nine News.

“I appreciate what I lost and what I had. To get that back would be a dream come true again.
“For them (NRL bosses) to sit there in front of me and (let me) explain what’s happened in the past four years and where I’m at, I’m pretty sure they would see it’s a different Todd.”

Carney’s rap sheet features repeated drink driving offences, including one instance where he was handed a suspended jail sentence for leading police on a chase before fleeing.
While Carney has a chequered past, his last indiscretion was more than three years ago and, now 31, he says he’s matured enough to deserve another chance in a competition he’s confident he can still match it with the best in.
“I’m not going to blame it on being young, I was stupid,” he said.
“I think I’ve become a better player, a smarter player. I definitely still believe I can handle the NRL"

If Todd Carney is such a changed person, how come he wasn't able to agree to the restrictions that the Broncos wanted placed on him? Lodge hasn't touched alcohol since his most recent incident, can Carney say the same?

TIN FOIL HAT TIME. The ramping up of the Lodge situation was a ploy to allow the Cowboys to sign Carney. A month ago, I think anyone in their right mind would have said that Carney will never be allowed to return to the NRL, and rightly so. Now it looks like he's a certainty.

Is Massoud a player agent as well or am I completely mistaken?

I actually kinda missed this lovable scamp. Glad he’s back, and I hope he gets some game time.

If Todd Carney is such a changed person, how come he wasn't able to agree to the restrictions that the Broncos wanted placed on him? Lodge hasn't touched alcohol since his most recent incident, can Carney say the same?

TIN FOIL HAT TIME. The ramping up of the Lodge situation was a ploy to allow the Cowboys to sign Carney. A month ago, I think anyone in their right mind would have said that Carney will never be allowed to return to the NRL, and rightly so. Now it looks like he's a certainty.

I thought the same straight away.

Complete hatchet job on the broncos and lodge, later that night it breaks Carney may be back.

They just upgraded Morgan to 1M a season.

How the **** can they magically afford Carney?

Fmd these pricks are just as bad as the Roosters sombrero.

TBF, according to the media we're paying Bird, Boyd and Milf a million a season and each of them was apparently our "First Ever!!!" Million dollar player.

Is it from this season or the next one (after Thurston retires)?

As if Carney is going to get anything more than a minimum base deal

The Morgan upgrade will likely start next year when Thurston is gone. Carney you can justify being on a pretty minimal deal, IF it is only for one year, and IF it is subject to a heap of T's and C's.

BTW, there is already calls of hypocrisy for Lodge to be allowed and Carney seemingly not (yet anyway). But I haven't seen any long-term steps taken by Carney or the Cowboys to justify giving him another chance. Let him play a full season in reserve grade, incident-free, to prove it IMO.

BTW, there is already calls of hypocrisy for Lodge to be allowed and Carney seemingly not (yet anyway). But I haven't seen any long-term steps taken by Carney or the Cowboys to justify giving him another chance. Let him play a full season in reserve grade, incident-free, to prove it IMO.

Comparisons with Carney and Lodge seem utterly bizarre. We now know that Lodge hasn't had a drink in over 2 years, completed extensive rehabilitation and community service and passes numerous drug and alcohol tests.

If Carney has done something commensurate with his offenses then certainly he can come back.

But it doesn't sound like he has. In fact the whole push to have him return seems to revolve around 'I'm not a dickhead anymore - I swear' and 'Let me come back - at least I'm not as big of a dickhead as Lodge and he gets to play!'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.