NRL Player Movements & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Dolphins pushing the Storm to really overpay to keep Hughes, Munster and Grant. They seem to be offering deals i've never really seen from the Storm that often.

It's just been the system they have followed for 20 years- pay for your spine and everything else can fall into place.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
It's just been the system they have followed for 20 years- pay for your spine and everything else can fall into place.
I can't recall them throwing out the kind of money and contract length on players like Hughes before. They have probably paid decent money, to meet it seems like the Phins are pushing them a little harder than normal.

Grant, as good as he is, does seem to miss a fair few games with injury. I think I'd be looking at getting more than 15 games a year ( which is what he has done the previous 2 years ) from a million dollar player.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I can't recall them throwing out the kind of money and contract length on players like Hughes before. They have probably paid decent money, to meet it seems like the Phins are pushing them a little harder than normal.

Grant, as good as he is, does seem to miss a fair few games with injury. I think I'd be looking at getting more than 15 games a year ( which is what he has done the previous 2 years ) from a million dollar player.

It's not Hughes it's a half. They're paying their money to the spine, their theory has always been get that right and pay your spine and the rest can be managed. They pay for the position and then back Bunn times two to get the player right.

If they have it right again, they have a spine sewn up until 2025 with Munster 2023.

I am pretty sure the million if that is even right will be the end of the contract. It's an extension so the new two years will be the big money.

If they're wrong and this spine is a dud then they have expensive players not worth it but if they're right it's their spine on great spine money.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Dolphins pushing the Storm to really overpay to keep Hughes, Munster and Grant. They seem to be offering deals i've never really seen from the Storm that often.

you can add the 500k / 5yr deal they reportedly signed with Jack Howarth to the list of un-Stormlike deals they have been handing out recently

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
It's not Hughes it's a half. They're paying their money to the spine, their theory has always been get that right and pay your spine and the rest can be managed. They pay for the position and then back Bunn times two to get the player right.

If they have it right again, they have a spine sewn up until 2025 with Munster 2023.

I am pretty sure the million if that is even right will be the end of the contract. It's an extension so the new two years will be the big money.

If they're wrong and this spine is a dud then they have expensive players not worth it but if they're right it's their spine on great spine money.
Well, at the moment, that's Hughes in the 7 shirt. You might be able to remember, but have they ever signed even their spine players on 6 year deals? I'm sure even Cam Smith only signed a 4 year deal as his longest deal.

It's not the method I'm saying anyway that isn't Melbourne like, it's the contracts. I just don't ever recall them throwing around such long contracts.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Well, at the moment, that's Hughes in the 7 shirt. You might be able to remember, but have they ever signed even their spine players on 6 year deals? I'm sure even Cam Smith only signed a 4 year deal as his longest deal.

It's not the method I'm saying anyway that isn't Melbourne like, it's the contracts. I just don't ever recall them throwing around such long contracts.

They're not that big- Grant is signing a two year extension- that's pretty normal. Mam signed a two year extension with the Broncos in the off-season.

More clubs should do that why wait? Grant did it at the end of 19 too- signed off on an extension and the 23 is an option so he takes that and signs another two years he's sorted until 25.

If the Broncos were signing Grant until 25 I wouldn't be saying gee seems a long deal. I'd be saying hell yes to the next three years.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I will say if Hughes is really asking for an extension when he still has two years to go I'd be telling him to wait at least 12 months. I'd do extension 12 months out but not two years.

I can't believe Hughes would want to commit now for beyond 24- he doesn't know who the coach will be what the cap will be- he's got two years to find all that out.

He just did a deal 12 months ago surely you don't wait 12 months and then say extension.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

That's not always been their theory though. For a while there they were paying their spine, their backs, their forwards as much as they could on one set of books. Then your team would go pay their spine, their backs and their forwards on another set of books.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I will say if Hughes is really asking for an extension when he still has two years to go I'd be telling him to wait at least 12 months. I'd do extension 12 months out but not two years.

I can't believe Hughes would want to commit now for beyond 24- he doesn't know who the coach will be what the cap will be- he's got two years to find all that out.

He just did a deal 12 months ago surely you don't wait 12 months and then say extension.

Because his value right now is at its peak. Dolphins are offering big money to try to secure a marquee signing, his manager is dangling that in front of the Storm, saying "better get in quick". The moment the Dolphins land their big signing (which they will do because they will go full Titans Fifita to get someone) Hughes loses that bargaining power.

The Storm are finally having the pressure put on their player retention that other clubs have had to cop, but they've dodged because of the success they stole through cheating.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
The Dolphins will surely land one of the 3 storm players, even if they overpay.

I read an article yesterday saying Storm are looking to announce all 3 by Wednesday afternoon as having re-signed.

Going to scream dodgy if they manage to land all 3 when there's no way they can match the offers.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Because his value right now is at its peak. Dolphins are offering big money to try to secure a marquee signing, his manager is dangling that in front of the Storm, saying "better get in quick". The moment the Dolphins land their big signing (which they will do because they will go full Titans Fifita to get someone) Hughes loses that bargaining power.

The Storm are finally having the pressure put on their player retention that other clubs have had to cop, but they've dodged because of the success they stole through cheating.

Is it really bargaining power if you can't leave until end of '24 or sign somewhere else until '25?

Storm know they have him and Dolphins can't get him until '25. There is no quick about it really. It's an empty threat. Hughes really has no power at all- no hand.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Is it really bargaining power if you can't leave until end of '24 or sign somewhere else until '25?

Storm know they have him and Dolphins can't get him until '25. There is no quick about it really. It's an empty threat. Hughes really has no power at all- no hand.
Well he does, he can play like shit and sulk. Works for plenty of players.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Are the Storm the only team above letting someone go before their contract is up? No power? They must have some dirt on these players hey

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
I get the feeling that the Dolphins will land Munster however he wont play there until 2024 so there a good chance we dont get a decision until later in the year.
I just cant see Munster taking a massive haircut to stay at Melbourne and with his off field incidents he seems to be less prioritised then Grant & Hughes.
It all changes though if they land Ponga for 2023.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I get the feeling that the Dolphins will land Munster however he wont play there until 2024 so there a good chance we dont get a decision until later in the year.
I just cant see Munster taking a massive haircut to stay at Melbourne and with his off field incidents he seems to be less prioritised then Grant & Hughes.
It all changes though if they land Ponga for 2023.
The phins have money for two marquee players easily, I can't see why they can't land Ponga/Walsh and one of the Melbourne 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Aldo
  • johnyE
  • Redux
  • broncsgoat
  • Lazza
  • Midean
  • FACTHUNT
  • Johnny92
  • Culhwch
  • GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
  • porouian
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • lynx000
  • Broncorob
  • Skyblues87
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Harry Sack
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.