NRL Players and family members in hot water

He's the NRL Flash Gordon.

"Personal demons" - is that the same thing as Boyd had, probably depression and aggression issues. Rough spot. A lot of these guys that have been raised in the aboriginal communities suffered from very bad sexual and physical abuse as kids, also exposed to drugs and alcohol from a very young age. It is good that he's got access to mental health professionals when so many other indigenous australians are stuck in the abuse/poverty cycle.

Interesting Phil Gould made a comment about how hard his life was growing up or words nto that effect. I think there is a lot about James Roberts people don't know about.

Another "fixed" player by Bennett.

Someone give broncosgoat a cuddle for me, he will be struggling with this news..

I think old Wayne has done as much as anyone to help Roberts tbf. He has probably given him more backing and stability than anyone, but its still not enough. I think Roberts is probably has a lot more issues than just alcohol ( which it looks like has no bearing on this incident ) and probably has a lot more issues than anyone knows about from his past. I have this gut feeling its all going to end in tragedy sadly for Roberts.

Not sure why people have digs at Wayne really when it comes to helping players. I think some of his recent coaching is fair game to have a pop at him for, but he generally always gets the backing from his players because he generally looks after them and puts himself out for them. He played a decent part in the rehabilitation of Matt Lodge for example.

**** James Roberts. Yeah yeah I am a **** but honestly the guy is a piece of shit. Apparently he has had a shit childhood and that sucks and I feel bad for him for that but plenty of people have had shit childhoods and not acted like he does.

I am glad he is getting help and hope that it does but nothing excuses him for being an out and out shit bloke.

**** James Roberts. Yeah yeah I am a **** but honestly the guy is a piece of shit. Apparently he has had a shit childhood and that sucks and I feel bad for him for that but plenty of people have had shit childhoods and not acted like he does.

I am glad he is getting help and hope that it does but nothing excuses him for being an out and out shit bloke.
How is he an out and out shit bloke? Seriously? What has he actually done besides be a bit of a shit employee.

I think old Wayne has done as much as anyone to help Roberts tbf. He has probably given him more backing and stability than anyone, but its still not enough. I think Roberts is probably has a lot more issues than just alcohol ( which it looks like has no bearing on this incident ) and probably has a lot more issues than anyone knows about from his past. I have this gut feeling its all going to end in tragedy sadly for Roberts.

Not sure why people have digs at Wayne really when it comes to helping players. I think some of his recent coaching is fair game to have a pop at him for, but he generally always gets the backing from his players because he generally looks after them and puts himself out for them. He played a decent part in the rehabilitation of Matt Lodge for example.
The truth is players need someone they can chat too about anything and an empathetic ear with a bit of a laugh (like Bennett is from all reports).

20 years ago. The youth (under 30) has changed. Kids get empathy from everywhere, particularly NRL players. They have psychologists, they have welfare officers, they have education, they are partnered up with senior players to guide them, and on and on. Roberts needs support, no doubt, but he needs discipline and structure just as much.

Roberts had his best years at the titans, not under Bennett. He has got into as much trouble under Bennett then he did earlier in his career. Neil Henry was renowned for not being a great man manager.

Bennett Will always be the greatest player/man/personality manager I have seen as a coach but the game and the players no longer need. Loom at the crap that has been around the last few weeks, they need discipline and structure! What did Bennett say when people asked him if he would be able to prevent his players from breaking the covid rules? Something along the lines of "they'll do what they want, I won't be able to stop them, they're adults"... unfortunately, they are not! Imagine the reception addo carr got compared to Mitchell when they got back. Now answer me this, if they both stay at the same club who is more likely to do something wrong again?

Lodge, you mean the guy who bought over $10,000s worth of gym gear to deck out in his house to rehab himself during coronavirus... yep, sure it was Bennett's nurturing that put him on the straight path, he doesn't seem determined at all........... ummm

Can't disagree that he doesn't do himself any favours at all. His hit on Oates last year was a dog act. I cant honestly say if he is a shit bloke or not because I don't know him. Hard to say if his childhood has been a big factor because we know very little about it.

I’m not trying to play devils advocate, because one of Bennett’s strengths is that he has undoubtedly always looked out for his players, that much simply cannot be debated.

But I also think it’s pretty reasonable to say the notion that he is some sort of selfless martyr has taken a few body blows of late (eg. the Petero saga, his marital split (even though that’s no ones business but those involved) etc.).

With his squeaky clean image a little less glossy, I think some Broncos fans took objection to the way the Roberts signing (by Souths) played out. They took further umbrage to Bennett saying that he would fix him but even more so, suggesting that the Broncos, and Seibold personally, had somehow wronged or ‘broken’ Roberts by dropping him (I know I did, I totally agreed with Seibold dropping him, it was 100% the right call (and still is)).

And TBF, I personally think it came across as a shot at the club as a whole, as well as a fair few of the important individuals at it, by a bitter and jaded man that had become far too accustomed to always getting his way. Only this time he hadn’t, so he decided to take every opportunity he could to criticise them, whether it was warranted or not.

So I’m not sure people are necessarily taking digs at Wayne, maybe he’s just no longer the same old Bennett that could do no wrong in some people’s eyes.

Not sure I’ve been very clear, but I’m struggling to find a better way to say it 🤷‍♂️

Actually, perhaps another way of looking at it is this: Paul White has also played a significant role in Matt Lodge’s rehabilitation (at least as much, if not more than Bennett as he’s still standing behind him), but people still criticise him and quite strongly, yet far less people question those criticisms.

Last edited:
How is he an out and out shit bloke? Seriously? What has he actually done besides be a bit of a shit employee.
For one:
He hit a defenseless player unconscious in the back of the head after player had finished with the full force of his forearm and bodyweight.

I've been in a fair amount of scuffles in my time and played footy as a kid and if that happened in either of those environments he would be getting a visit, rightfully, from the persons friends/relatives/police. It was an absolute dog act, and if he didnt play for souffs he would have got, and deservedly so, 12 games minimum

The truth is players need someone they can chat too about anything and an empathetic ear with a bit of a laugh (like Bennett is from all reports).

20 years ago. The youth (under 30) has changed. Kids get empathy from everywhere, particularly NRL players. They have psychologists, they have welfare officers, they have education, they are partnered up with senior players to guide them, and on and on. Roberts needs support, no doubt, but he needs discipline and structure just as much.

Roberts had his best years at the titans, not under Bennett. He has got into as much trouble under Bennett then he did earlier in his career. Neil Henry was renowned for not being a great man manager.

Bennett Will always be the greatest player/man/personality manager I have seen as a coach but the game and the players no longer need. Loom at the crap that has been around the last few weeks, they need discipline and structure! What did Bennett say when people asked him if he would be able to prevent his players from breaking the covid rules? Something along the lines of "they'll do what they want, I won't be able to stop them, they're adults"... unfortunately, they are not! Imagine the reception addo carr got compared to Mitchell when they got back. Now answer me this, if they both stay at the same club who is more likely to do something wrong again?

Lodge, you mean the guy who bought over $10,000s worth of gym gear to deck out in his house to rehab himself during coronavirus... yep, sure it was Bennett's nurturing that put him on the straight path, he doesn't seem determined at all........... ummm

Yep, lodge, the guy Bennett helped get a gig at Redcliffe to help get his career back on track. The guy Bennett stuck his neck out for and copped a lot of grief for signing. The same Lodge who openly says Wayne saved his career. Lodge still deserves credit himself for what he has done to turn himself around, but Wayne is certainly a big factor.

I'm also pretty sure Roberts hasn't got into anywhere near as much trouble as he did before he got backing from Bennett. Him checking himself into rehab doesn't mean he has actually got himself in trouble. The last major incident he had I can think of ( and he didn't really cause any trouble, he just got drunk ) was last year and Bennett wasn't even at the club.

I’m not trying to play devils advocate, because one of Bennett’s strengths is that he has undoubtedly always looked out for his players, that much simply cannot be debated.

But I also think it’s pretty reasonable to say the notion that he is some sort of selfless martyr has taken a few body blows of late (eg. the Petero saga, his marital split (even though that’s no ones business but those involved) etc.).

With his squeaky clean image a little less glossy, I think some Broncos fans took objection to the way the Roberts signing (by Souths) played out. They took further umbrage to Bennett saying that he would fix him but even more so, suggesting that the Broncos, and Seibold personally, had somehow wronged or ‘broken’ Roberts by dropping him (I know I did, I totally agreed with Seibold dropping him, it was 100% the right call (and still is)).

And TBF, I personally think it came across as a shot at the club as a whole, as well as a fair few of the important individuals at it, by a bitter and jaded man that had become far too accustomed to always getting his way. Only this time he hadn’t, so he decided to take every opportunity he could to criticise them, whether it was warranted or not.

So I’m not sure people are necessarily taking digs at Wayne, maybe he’s just no longer the same old Bennett that could do no wrong in some people’s eyes.

Not sure I’ve been very clear, but I’m struggling to find a better way to say it 🤷‍♂️

Actually, perhaps another way of looking at it is this: Paul White has also played a significant role in Matt Lodge’s rehabilitation (at least as much, if not more than Bennett as he’s still standing behind him), but people still criticise him and quite strongly, yet far less people question those criticisms.

I don't think Bennett has ever been seen as some kind of martyr and I don't think he has ever really had a squeaky clean image either.He has stuffed things up just like any other person. We all make mistakes after all. But like i said, they players pretty much all get behind him because they know what he does for them.

Broncos as a club have done a lot for Lodge, White amongst them, but speak to Matt himself ( and I did a fair few times when he was at Reddy ) and It's fairly clear who he credits with the biggest role in his rehabilitation. I dare say he still speaks with Wayne on a regular basis. But we shouldn't turn it into a Bennett debate anyway. He did a lot for the Broncos, but he has moved on and so should we.

Hitting a defenceless players head into the ground knocking him unconscious, an ex-teammate no less makes you a shit bloke in my book. That’s not even going into the ungrateful, skulking bullshit he did towards the Broncos and basically any other team that have wasted their time on him.

I don't think Bennett has ever been seen as some kind of martyr and I don't think he has ever really had a squeaky clean image either.He has stuffed things up just like any other person. We all make mistakes after all. But like i said, they players pretty much all get behind him because they know what he does for them.

Broncos as a club have done a lot for Lodge, White amongst them, but speak to Matt himself ( and I did a fair few times when he was at Reddy ) and It's fairly clear who he credits with the biggest role in his rehabilitation. I dare say he still speaks with Wayne on a regular basis. But we shouldn't turn it into a Bennett debate anyway. He did a lot for the Broncos, but he has moved on and so should we.
You get so defensive over Bennett. Where did I say he had nothing to do with lodge? Does this mean he is exactly what players need these days? You completely negated the middle section of my comment because it didn't suit your agenda to debate it.

And yes, yes he has. Roberts was in less trouble at the titans then he got in with us under Bennett.

For one:
He hit a defenseless player unconscious in the back of the head after player had finished with the full force of his forearm and bodyweight.

I've been in a fair amount of scuffles in my time and played footy as a kid and if that happened in either of those environments he would be getting a visit, rightfully, from the persons friends/relatives/police. It was an absolute dog act, and if he didnt play for souffs he would have got, and deservedly so, 12 games minimum
It was a dog move but I've seen plenty of dog shots on the footy field, I'd hardly call him an out and out shit human for that. Maybe a dickhead, but I don't recall him ever doing anything bad outside of that, except to himself.

Hitting a defenceless players head into the ground knocking him unconscious, an ex-teammate no less makes you a shit bloke in my book. That’s not even going into the ungrateful, skulking bullshit he did towards the Broncos and basically any other team that have wasted their time on him.
Entitled to your opinion so fair enough, but I don't personally think he's a bottom tier human, there's plenty of worse dickheads. He's a dickhead that needs a lot of care, hopefully he gets it because it's better he rehabs than goes completely off the rails and becomes a burden on society.

Last edited:
You get so defensive over Bennett. Where did I say he had nothing to do with lodge? Does this mean he is exactly what players need these days? You completely negated the middle section of my comment because it didn't suit your agenda to debate it.

And yes, yes he has. Roberts was in less trouble at the titans then he got in with us under Bennett.

The only one with an agenda is you with Bennett. I have no issue with how Bennett is with his players on the whole. I just don't see the point point in having a pop at Wayne for trying to help a bloke out. That's not being defensive.

As for Roberts getting in less trouble at the Titans, I think you need to have a look at that one again. Can't remember the outcomes, but he certainly got arrested at least twice playing for the Titans. He has always got into trouble where ever he has been, but I genuinely can't recall him being arrested in his time here.

Last edited:
The only one with an agenda is you with Bennett. I have no issue with how Bennett is with his players on the whole. I just don't see the point point in having a pop at Wayne for trying to help a bloke out. That's not being defensive.

As for Roberts getting in less trouble at the Titans, I think you need to have a look at that one again. Can't remember the outcomes, but he certainly got arrested at least twice playing for the Titans. He has always got into trouble where ever he has been, but I genuinely can't recall him being arrested in his time here.
He got arrested once for being drunk in public.... that charge was dropped. There's no way you can say he was better behaved under bennett where he has had that exact same charge/fine given, had assault charges levelled at him, getting carried out of a nightclub during the season, had little slip ups added on (speed on Oxford street, rehab twice, other drunken photos) and his attitude towards training and rehab is obviously atrocious for a paid professional.

Roberts is a bad egg, always has and always will be, but this myth that Bennett did or would fix him (something he even claimed) was and is an absolute joke. Given the current culture at souffs and the way the young players have progressed their leadership skills since he has left, if I had a kid that was considering what club to sign for I wouldn't be fooled by this "developer of men" type myth, I'd be sending them straight to Robinson. Or if he was an absolute prick or spoilt child I'd be shipping him off to bellamy to prove to him how good a dad I was hahaha

And I didn't negate the middle part of your comment either. If it's the part about Roberts best form at the Titans, that's arguable. He played pretty well for us in his early years here. If it's the bit about the coronavirus issue, Bennett is spot on. He can't do a thing about it. Bennett does what he has always done, put the responsibility on the player for his own actions. Mitchell is am adult, he can't stop him doing that rubbish. But if you think he wouldn't have torn strips off him you are kidding yourself.
[automerge]1589286955[/automerge]
He got arrested once for being drunk in public.... that charge was dropped. There's no way you can say he was better behaved under bennett where he has had that exact same charge/fine given, had assault charges levelled at him, getting carried out of a nightclub during the season, had little slip ups added on (speed on Oxford street, rehab twice, other drunken photos) and his attitude towards training and rehab is obviously atrocious for a paid professional.

Roberts is a bad egg, always has and always will be, but this myth that Bennett did or would fix him (something he even claimed) was and is an absolute joke. Given the current culture at souffs and the way the young players have progressed their leadership skills since he has left, if I had a kid that was considering what club to sign for I wouldn't be fooled by this "developer of men" type myth, I'd be sending them straight to Robinson. Or if he was an absolute prick or spoilt child I'd be shipping him off to bellamy to prove to him how good a dad I was hahaha

He got arrested twice im fairly sure and Bennett wasn't even coach when he got carried out of that club.

Edit, I stand corrected, I thought when he got punted from the all stars voting he had been arrested again but it was the same incident.

Last edited:

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bucking Beads
  • Brotherdu
  • HarryAllan7
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • FACTHUNT
  • winslow_wong
  • Manifesto
  • Harry Sack
  • Spoon
  • Battler
  • Footy Fanatic
  • RolledOates
  • marw
  • lynx000
  • whykickamoocow
  • Financeguy
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.