NRL Season Recommencing

As much as i want the footy back, i dont think this is the right thing to do. Sydney is risky place to be with this Virus.

Disagree. The players will be safer in the containment areas set up than they will be in general public. They will train, eat, sleep and play in military grade containment zones with a far lower risk of infection compared to the general public. After having to deal with the average fuckwit when I go to the shops I envy them.

The players will be safe and Australia needs sport right now. If the government wants people to stay at home long term give them back sport and that will help a lot.

Disagree. The players will be safer in the containment areas set up than they will be in general public. They will train, eat, sleep and play in military grade containment zones with a far lower risk of infection compared to the general public. After having to deal with the average fuckwit when I go to the shops I envy them.

The players will be safe and Australia needs sport right now. If the government wants people to stay at home long term give them back sport and that will help a lot.

there were reports that only the non-nsw based players would be forced into that ... the nsw teams were going to be permitted to stay at home with their families ...

I do understand that due to the QLD government, all games will need to be played in NSW ... but to make it fair on all teams every team should be forced into a camp type situation ... it can't be under-estimated how much of an advantage NSW based teams will get just by being able to stay at home ... although i have no faith in the N(SW)RL to make things fair

Meh, I hate Slothfield as much as the next guy but I'm also not interested in an attack dog that is just backing up the comments of a network I have no respect for who is just protecting his next pay cheque.
I was talking about the remarks re Slothfield, but even the rest is just common sense. He didn't unload on the NRL either, but hey, let's suddenly make CH9 the source of all NRL evils...

I was talking about the remarks re Slothfield, but even the rest is just common sense. He didn't unload on the NRL either, but hey, let's suddenly make CH9 the source of all NRL evils...

I was referring to his article where he unloaded on them.

I dont think we do need sport tbh if it means isolating players away from their family. I agree with Cam Smith tbh. Locking the players away from their families isn't really fair and it could have some pretty poor outcomes mentally for some. I've spoken to a few current NRL players I know and while they want to get back playing, not one of them wants to be put into quarantine just to play a game of footy.

If the NRL weren't so badly managed and desperate for money this project Apollo wouldn't even be on the table.

I dont think we do need sport tbh if it means isolating players away from their family. I agree with Cam Smith tbh. Locking the players away from their families isn't really fair and it could have some pretty poor outcomes mentally for some. I've spoken to a few current NRL players I know and while they want to get back playing, not one of them wants to be put into quarantine just to play a game of footy.

If the NRL weren't so badly managed and desperate for money this project Apollo wouldn't even be on the table.

Well yeah, but it was so this is where we are.

Once again I disagree, society absolutely needs sport at the moment and this might sound harsh but I don't really give a **** if it's overly fair for players to be in quarantine or not. Do you think the doctors and nurses want to be away from their families? Being on the frontline with an increased chance of infection (the opposite of NRL players)? I'm sure they don't but it is their job so they get on with it.

Also, it is easy for Cam Smith to say stuff like that when he is and has been for a long time one of the highest paid players in the game.

Maybe you have a different opinion on this because you are friends with some players, maybe it's because I'm an arsehole but this is an exceptional circumstance and the players need to suck it up tbh.

Well yeah, but it was so this is where we are.

Once again I disagree, society absolutely needs sport at the moment and this might sound harsh but I don't really give a **** if it's overly fair for players to be in quarantine or not. Do you think the doctors and nurses want to be away from their families? Being on the frontline with an increased chance of infection (the opposite of NRL players)? I'm sure they don't but it is their job so they get on with it.

Also, it is easy for Cam Smith to say stuff like that when he is and has been for a long time one of the highest paid players in the game.

Maybe you have a different opinion on this because you are friends with some players, maybe it's because I'm an arsehole but this is an exceptional circumstance and the players need to suck it up tbh.

I think to a point, players do need to suck it up, but its a bit of a different situation to the health care workers. My wife, who is a nurse, gets to come home to her own family and home every day. There is a very good chance that the players from Brisbane, Melbourne, Warriors, Titans and the Cowboys could well be away from their families for 3 months or more, so they wont get to go home on a daily basis. Thats a lot to ask of people. Also, health workers are crucial and needed to get the country through this situation, footballers arent.

Tbf to Cam Smith, i dont think its about the money. His comments were more around how mentally being locked down away from family could have a big impact on some players. I'm sure if players from Melbourne or Brisbane could just train where they are then fly in for the game it would be less of an issue.

The whole thing though doesnt sit well with me. Its being pushed on getting the NRL out of a financial mess rather than getting it going again for the good of the game, the fans or the players.

Are the NRL’s current state of finances that bad compared to other sports at the moment? I’ve been listening to Denan Kemp’s podcast lately and he went through the numbers (I haven’t fact checked any of them) and it seems like the NRL wasn’t in too bad of a spot.

Are the NRL’s current state of finances that bad compared to other sports at the moment? I’ve been listening to Denan Kemp’s podcast lately and he went through the numbers (I haven’t fact checked any of them) and it seems like the NRL wasn’t in too bad of a spot.

Not sure tbh, but they certainly aren't as good as they should be.

Meninga now saying the points won in the opening two rounds should be scrapped, even going as far as saying that if they Titans were 2-0 he still wouldn't mind the idea ... claims keeping the points could stop the NRL re-starting... his quotes are below:
---------

“I can understand some teams would feel disadvantaged by scrapping points but at the end of the day it’s about getting the game back up and running.

“I don’t think it matters so much. Who cares if we lose a couple of points? As long as we are playing football again.

“This whole coronavirus situation has showed us there are bigger things in life. It doesn’t matter what rules you come up with, it would be just for this year.

“We all need to take a deep breath and do what is best for the game. Let’s not be negative about proposals. Let’s look at the positives to get the game started up again.

“I will support whatever is best for the game, but if we have to start again with everyone on zero points, then that’s what we have to do.”

“You look at our situation,” Meninga said of his Titans outfit.

“We have played against Canberra and the Eels so far, so one of those teams (the Raiders) would be in our conference and one team (the Eels) wouldn’t.

“It would be difficult to carry over points under a conference model.

“The Broncos won both their games and they would have every right to express their concerns to the ARL Commission or the innovation committee.

“Knowing Justin Holbrook (Titans coach) and our team, we would start from any position.

“If we had won our first two or lost or first two games and had to start again, so be it.

“There is a bigger issue for me than competition points. Whatever we do we have to be one in, all in.”

“I don’t think it matters so much. Who cares if we lose a couple of points? As long as we are playing football again.

Alright he’s convinced me. Hand over the points guys.

He’s his own worst enemy. “Who cares about the points.”
Exactly, Mal, so leave it as it is. What’s the big deal as long as we’re playing footy, right?

Exactly. He can't even lie straight.

So we have got it confirmed now we are restarting on May 28th. Things are going to be interesting for some blokes. Is Joffa going to be going down to Sydney as he and Sofi are expecting their first child in May. I'd be surprised if they risked anything at this stage of the pregnancy. You also have the likes of Michael Morgan at the Cowboys who's wife is expecting and probably others. Seems like madness to me. You cant expect people to miss out or risk the health of people at such an important time in their lives.

They’ll rotate players in and out. Players will go home and if a 2 week quarantine is imposed, so be it. It won’t be long before the borders reopen anyway, at least to some extent. I reckon you might be getting worked up over nothing. Fathers won’t be kept from their children’s births involuntary.

I'm not worked up at all. It would be utter stupidity though to expose a pregnant woman to this virus ( i'd be surprised as it stands if a players family will be relocated to nsw ). I'm not saying they will be made by the NRL or their club to miss a birth, but some players wont really have a choice but to stay back and be with their partners and i believe Joffa will be one of them if Sofi hasnt given birth before May 12th which is probably when they will have to relocate to nsw, i think he will be staying up here. That then weakens our squad.

I'll stand by my opinion as its always been over this situation. Its a money grab by the NRL because they have mismanaged themselves so badly over the years. They are expecting the players to make the sacrifices because of their incompetence. I'm all for the competition restarting, but only when the time is right and i dont think we are at that stage yet.

The borders will be opened up before this even becomes an issue.

There also won't be anything stopping the players from going back home. They will just need to quarantine for two weeks when entering QLD.

I'm not worked up at all. It would be utter stupidity though to expose a pregnant woman to this virus ( i'd be surprised as it stands if a players family will be relocated to nsw ). I'm not saying they will be made by the NRL or their club to miss a birth, but some players wont really have a choice but to stay back and be with their partners and i believe Joffa will be one of them if Sofi hasnt given birth before May 12th which is probably when they will have to relocate to nsw, i think he will be staying up here. That then weakens our squad.

I'll stand by my opinion as its always been over this situation. Its a money grab by the NRL because they have mismanaged themselves so badly over the years. They are expecting the players to make the sacrifices because of their incompetence. I'm all for the competition restarting, but only when the time is right and i dont think we are at that stage yet.

The players will have a choice. The play and get paid or they stay at home and don't, pretty simple.

I understand your point and you have made it clearly, I simply cannot agree with it. People in all forms of live need to make sacrifices, some voluntarily, some forced. These players have the choice to make the sacrifice or not so what is the big deal?

Fathers won’t be kept from their children’s births involuntary.

Well....they will, if they're in Sydney or in Quarantine....yeah?
[automerge]1587557582[/automerge]

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncos Maestro
  • Morkel
  • thenry
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • Redux
  • Harry Sack
  • broncsgoat
  • HarryAllan7
  • BroncosAlways
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Manifesto
  • Wild Horse
  • Ffs...
  • Sproj
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • Astro
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwi2
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.