NRL Season Recommencing

It's not the craziest idea being touted, nobody knows how to handle the situation and all avenues have to be explored. This would be an absolute last resort and the NRL will do everything in it's power to marry the season up with the first two rounds.

only 2 rounds have been played, so it should be easy to marry the season up with those first rounds as no-one has played someone more than once

They would still have to be valid.

All the records for those games will count, it would just be kept seperate from this proposed season. So any suspensions would carry over, just like they would for any other season.
I don't have a problem with them remaining valid provided the results of the first two rounds are as well. I think your entering into grey area there with suspensions if you write off the results of the first two rounds. Your talking about the initial competition of the season that the nrl went ahead with despite the serious health warnings, players got suspended in those two rounds that you can make a strong argument they wouldn't have even been suspended in the first place if the NRL suspended it from the get go.

Last edited:
It's not the craziest idea being touted, nobody knows how to handle the situation and all avenues have to be explored. This would be an absolute last resort and the NRL will do everything in it's power to marry the season up with the first two rounds.
The only reason to discount the first two rounds is if they intend to change the number of rounds in the season where they want to start a new 15 round season (so everyone plays each other once)... but that would cost the NRL serious money from the TV rights deal.

I would've thought they would be doing everything in their power to play out the full season for full TV rights money... they were suggesting pushing it into December, etc.

- 23 weeks of the season + finals left (7 months or so) - therefore need to be restarting sometime in May
- 3 games of Origin - they would want this near the end of the year (if there is potential for crowds to come back) and could be played over 2 weeks Sunday/Sunday/Sunday

Based on that it's getting pretty tight... but I would think they would start cutting the games at the end of the draw, where teams start playing each other for a second time

only 2 rounds have been played, so it should be easy to marry the season up with those first rounds as no-one has played someone more than once

It depends on a few factors, namely the conference system and whether or not the Warriors will be able to take part.

They're trying to make as few changes as possible but if more roadblocks are thrown in their way they're prepared to begin a new.

I don't have a problem with them remaining valid provided the results of the first two rounds are as well. I think your entering into grey area there with suspensions if you write off the results of the first two rounds. Your talking about the initial competition of the season that the nrl went ahead with despite the serious health warnings, players got suspended in those two rounds that you can make a strong argument they wouldn't have even been suspended in the first place if the NRL suspended it from the get go.

Yeah I think there's every effort to resume as is. With that said, those results aren't being taken off the record books, they just happened in the 113th season which was abandoned. Just like any other season, things that happened in that season would carry over.

Do you honestly think they will do everything in the power to stop it from happening? Their favourite club with the most influential person in the game as chairman are 0/2 in a season where they have the chance to go 3 in a row. I believe they will piss and moan and make it seem like the genuinely considered every other option and had no choice, but the second this happened they knew what they were going to do. I’m sure Uncle Nick made the call the day the comp was suspended.

Do you honestly think they will do everything in the power to stop it from happening? Their favourite club with the most influential person in the game as chairman are 0/2 in a season where they have the chance to go 3 in a row. I believe they will piss and moan and make it seem like the genuinely considered every other option and had no choice, but the second this happened they knew what they were going to do. I’m sure Uncle Nick made the call the day the comp was suspended.

Despite my love for a conspiracy, yes I do think they will try. The integrity of the game is at stake.

Despite my love for a conspiracy, yes I do think they will try. The integrity of the game is at stake.

Exactly, the only way this idea ever sees the light of day is if the competition needs some major re-tooling that it doesn't resemble the same competition as the first two rounds of the competition.

Also I thought Souths were the NRL's favourite club?

Melbourne, Souths, Rorters take your pick. In saying that the Storm wouldn't benefit from it, for a change.

Last edited:
Exactly, the only way this idea ever sees the light of day is if the competition needs some major re-tooling that it doesn't resemble the same competition as the first two rounds of the competition.

Also I thought Souths were the NRL's favourite club?

No, not in my opinion. It has always been the Roosters. But even then they are one from two so it is not like they would be against the idea. Interesting that Robinson and Wayne are apparently heavily involved in this project. For an organisation that we are meant to believe gives a shit about the integrity of the game it is a pretty bad look at the very least.

When has the NRL ever cared about the integrity of the game? If they did Robinson and Bennett wouldn’t be involved in a project that has the potential to massively benefit them (especially Robinson).

I personally doubt the NRL will be in any mood to rock the boat even further after the year we've had so far. The first two rounds will stand, and we will probably be looking at Christmas week finals.

I personally doubt the NRL will be in any mood to rock the boat even further after the year we've had so far. The first two rounds will stand, and we will probably be looking at Christmas week finals.

We’ll see, personally I don’t think the give a **** what the fans think. They know they can do whatever the want because the fans love the game and their team and will always come back for more. They have survived off of the tribalism and passion of the fans and the product itself despite their ineptitude for this long so why would they stop now?

I believe these little snippets they are releasing now about the ‘possibility’ if this happening is just to get people used to the idea so that when they make it official everyone will have prepared for it and will just be excited to have the footy back.

No, not in my opinion. It has always been the Roosters. But even then they are one from two so it is not like they would be against the idea. Interesting that Robinson and Wayne are apparently heavily involved in this project. For an organisation that we are meant to believe gives a shit about the integrity of the game it is a pretty bad look at the very least.

Bennett isn't a part of any projects, he put forward a number of ideas which the NRL have weighed up and Hooper has tossed his name up as a potential replacement for Greenberg.

Robinson is actually on the Innovation Committee so he could be acting in self interest but I seriously doubt the NRL would come to such a decision unless their hands were tied. The idea is that the points will only be rescinded if they go with the two conference system which would divide the competition into a Sydney based competition and a non-Sydney based competition with Canberra being thrown in for good measure. If the NRL start around May or June, the Warriors maybe forced to sit the season out.

Do I honestly think they'll look at other possibilities? Of course, can you imagine the headache this is going to cause? This is going to piss a lot of people off but the view will be that this will be better than nothing which is the sad truth in all of this. I don't think they could care less about petty club politics, especially at a time where the competition just like everyone else is going to be seriously affected for next 5-10 years.

Everyone play each other once, have a top 6 where 1&2 go straight through to prelims, 3v6, 4v5. Gives you a 4 month season. Depending on when they start round 3, say it is first weekend of June, this format ends regular rounds on the last weekend of August

Finals for another 3 weeks

post season of origins and pac tests etc that can start a week or so after the final. Extend as far as you need into October

gives everyone a normal finish time to the year and a regular start next season. Plenty of time to sort out contracts and shit too with a full off-season

Obviously less games but at what point do you sacrifice the integrity of the competition for the dollar? 15 games of uninterrupted competition games is better than the 25 with 6-8 weeks hampered by origin. Everyone plays each other once, home or away is the only advantage anyone gains, not some teams playing the shit teams twice and some playing the good teams twice instead

Last edited:
Bennett isn't a part of any projects, he put forward a number of ideas which the NRL have weighed up and Hooper has tossed his name up as a potential replacement for Greenberg.

Robinson is actually on the Innovation Committee so he could be acting in self interest but I seriously doubt the NRL would come to such a decision unless their hands were tied. The idea is that the points will only be rescinded if they go with the two conference system which would divide the competition into a Sydney based competition and a non-Sydney based competition with Canberra being thrown in for good measure. If the NRL start around May or June, the Warriors maybe forced to sit the season out.

Do I honestly think they'll look at other possibilities? Of course, can you imagine the headache this is going to cause? This is going to piss a lot of people off but the view will be that this will be better than nothing which is the sad truth in all of this. I don't think they could care less about petty club politics, especially at a time where the competition just like everyone else is going to be seriously affected for next 5-10 years.

You are probably right and I may be going too conspiracy theorist but I have seen enough bullshit from the NSWRL to believe that I am not completely off. They only people this will piss off is the teams and the fans of the teams that it will affect. The NRL could not give a shit about this. As a fanbase we have no voice and have no way to affect anything so why would they care?

The Roosters aren't the NRL's favourites, they just have a LOT of influence via Politis.

Unread

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • marw
  • LittleDavey
  • Tim K
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Aldo
  • Nerd
  • Foordy
  • Organix
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
  • big k
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • Midean
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • ivanhungryjak
... and 26 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.