NRL Season Recommencing

Surely when a coronavirus vaccine is available the players will be required to have one if they want to play. Might as well make the point to these morons now.

They can just claim it’s for religious purposes and the nrl won’t sit them.

Given the interview with Jeanette Young on ABC earlier this afternoon, that won't wash with the health department.

Would there be anything in the CBA that the players just agreed to in regards to not complying with the revised playing conditions??

Given how strict the COVID requirements are and how delicate things may be politically... you'd think the NRL need buy in from all the players to comply with all the new requirements

I'm really not sure. You would think all bases have been covered, but i wouldnt be surprised if they havent.

Government may take it out of the NRL's hands and just say that it's not going to start if they aren't 100% immunised.

My doctor was one of the last kids to get polio in Australia (He’s old) he lost his leg, he had a patient come in one day who turns out to be an anti vaxer and proceeds to ask him what he thought of vaccines.....he pointed to his metal leg and asked her how she thinks he lost his leg and she still tried to question vaccines.

unfortunately you can’t fix stupid.

If I had a genuine objection to getting ther flu needle I would not be bullied into taking it.
I can't see how the NRL can force someone to do it.
They have painted themselves into a corner me thinks.

If I had a genuine objection to getting ther flu needle I would not be bullied into taking it.

They probably can’t force them but if their actions threaten the health and safety of other players, I’m pretty sure they can stop them from playing.

They can’t force them, but at the same time, they can say In order to protect the welfare of others those who don’t have the injection can’t play.

I don't know about everyone else but I am fucking FUMING the NRL didn't make a stand here.
More of the same from this vlandys fuckwit, all talk....
There was never going to be a stand down. There is no way they can force someone to vaccinate to play, no, way.

Maybe in future contracts but they can't retrospectively enforce mandatory health procedures.

They can’t force them, but at the same time, they can say In order to protect the welfare of others those who don’t have the injection can’t play.
They can stand them down with pay, nothing more.

They can stand them down with pay, nothing more.
Can they though? I don't see how they'd be breaching any part of their contract. It could be another Israel Folau thing where one party are sure they're doing the right thing, until they're challenged in court.

Can they though? I don't see how they'd be breaching any part of their contract. It could be another Israel Folau thing where one party are sure they're doing the right thing, until they're challenged in court.

I'd say they can because despite what the anti vaxxers say, vaccines are proven to be extremely effective. On top of that, I'm not aware of that many religions that would be against it either.

As @Super Freak pretty much said , if the NRL ( and the government more importantly ) have enough strong medical advice on board to back them up, they can stand them down.

I'd say they can because despite what the anti vaxxers say, vaccines are proven to be extremely effective. On top of that, I'm not aware of that many religions that would be against it either.

As @Super Freak pretty much said , if the NRL ( and the government more importantly ) have enough strong medical advice on board to back them up, they can stand them down.

I'm certainly not arguing against vaccines. I'm just trying to look at it solely from a legal perspective. If there is nothing in their contract about having to take vaccinations or even certain medications to play, how can you punish them for not doing it.
They're introducing a requirement to what players contractually need to do to play, after the contract has been agreed and signed.

And with regards to the NRL and the government making the call on it, I would have assumed that the medical advice and opinions are irrelevant. It still comes back to what was agreed between the player and club when the contract was signed.

Surely if the Government says that the restart is off unless every participating player is vaccinated, the RLPA will come to the table to accommodate any necessary changes to benefit the majority over this tiny minority.

I'd hate to be any of these dimwits if their stance costs their teammates the bulk of their salaries this year.

Imagine being the cause of a couple of hundred families not being able to pay mortgages.
Yep, that's where it ends for me. You're fine to take a stand for yourself and refuse anything you want, but you have to live with the consequences of that stance, and if it means your team mates get to play and get paid and you don't, then so be it. Happy to see how strong their stance would be once it cost them an income.

I'm certainly not arguing against vaccines. I'm just trying to look at it solely from a legal perspective. If there is nothing in their contract about having to take vaccinations or even certain medications to play, how can you punish them for not doing it.
They're introducing a requirement to what players contractually need to do to play, after the contract has been agreed and signed.

And with regards to the NRL and the government making the call on it, I would have assumed that the medical advice and opinions are irrelevant. It still comes back to what was agreed between the player and club when the contract was signed.

The medical advice is and has been crucial so it's not irrelevant. If the government wants the NRL shut down for safety reasons on medical advice, it will get shut down.

I don't think anyone will be stood down. They will just sign the waiver which says they have been told of the risks of not having the flu vax.

Despite pressure to adopt a “no jab, no play” policy, the ARL Commission has revised a vaccination waiver clause to allow NRL players to play if they refuse to get a flu shot. However, ARLC chairman Peter V’landys has warned players who do not sign the altered waiver will be banned.

Overall 3% of NRL players refused a flu shot that formed part of strict biosecurity measures that will allow the league’s resumption on 28 May.

“A clause has been taken out. It used to say they believe by not having it [vaccination] that would put them medically at risk – well they don’t believe that,” V’landys told AAP.

“So we have changed that to say that they have been advised by their medical officer that they are at risk. It should’ve been like that in the first place to be honest. So if any player doesn’t execute the waiver they will not be able to play.”

Last edited:

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Rambstien
  • Robboi_321
  • Johnny92
  • Astro
  • jarro65
  • Fitzy
  • whykickamoocow
  • bb_gun
  • marw
  • winslow_wong
  • Ronald
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • mrslong
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • sooticus
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.