[OFFICIAL] Anthony Milford to Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
CANBERRA are set to table a contract upgrade in excess of $100,000 in a last-ditch bid to stop Anthony Milford joining the Broncos.

The development comes as Brian Edwards, the Canberra scout poached by the Broncos last week, broke his silence to declare he will not brainwash Milford into defecting to Brisbane.

The Sunday Mail understands the Broncos remain privately confident of securing Milford, who is said to be considering staying in Canberra after requesting a release six weeks ago.

The Broncos plan to begin talks with Milford from November 1, but the tug of war is intensifying with new Canberra coach Ricky Stuart spotted in Brisbane on Friday.

Stuart is understandably eager to retain Milford, who is currently visiting his sick father Halo and mother Marietta in the Brisbane suburb of Inala.

The 19-year-old is already contracted to the Raiders next season, but the axing of Blake Ferguson gives Canberra the salary-cap latitude to reward Milford with a six-figure pay rise.

Edwards, the man who spotted Milford in Brisbane as a 12-year-old, shapes as the Broncos' wildcard.

The Brisbane-based scout steered Milford to Canberra via his links with long-time feeder club Souths Logan. And while Edwards is not pressuring Milford, the young gun regards the veteran official among his footballing mentors.

"I don't want to say too much about Anthony but I won't be pressuring him. It's his call," Edwards said.

"Ultimately, it's up to Anthony ... my only advice is keep your head on.

"There is no limit to what the kid can achieve. The football world is an oyster to him at the moment.

"From the moment I saw him playing at Acacia Ridge, there was an X-factor to him. He did things other kids couldn't do.

"I would see him on the left side of the field and he would quickly get to the right because he was ahead of the play. You can't coach the things that Anthony can do.

"For some reason he was missed by the Broncos at the time, I don't know how, but as I've learned in recruitment you can't get everybody."

Canberra are taking heart from suggestions Milford will now stay. But there is a counter-view that Milford's "sitting on the fence" stance is a smokescreen designed to downplay growing speculation his Broncos deal is a fait accompli.

Departing Raiders chairman John McIntyre confirmed Canberra are ready to up the ante by offering the Queensland under-20s playmaker an upgrade for 2014.

"As far as I'm concerned Anthony won't be in a Broncos jumper next year, I'm hopeful Ricky will keep him here," McIntyre said.

"An advantage we have over every else is that we can upgrade Anthony next year because he's already contracted. That is very high on our priority list.

"No-one else can offer Anthony an upgrade. The health issue with his father ... well that's something for his manager to work out with the club.

"We haven't lost a hell of a lot of players we've wanted to keep."

McIntyre said the Raiders had come to terms with Edwards' departure to head-up the Broncos' Logan-based academy after initially considering legal action.

"We are sorry to see 'Pinky' (Edwards) go," he said.

"The running of that Logan academy was something that appealed to him ... we would never ever stand in the way of anyone.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

I'm not confident of getting Anthony, tbh.

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
I'm not confident of keepin him, will take a hell of a lot more than an extra $100k, an extra $400-$500k might do it.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
So Milford saying he wants to come back to Brisbane for family reasons was a load of shit.

He just wanted an upgrade to his contract. Have we been used again.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
I must say, my bronco's fan status aside. The are playing it we'll. but I'm still over it.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
So Milford saying he wants to come back to Brisbane for family reasons was a load of shit.

He just wanted an upgrade to his contract. Have we been used again.

it could just be that the Raiders are desperate to keep him and are trying a last ditch effort to test his resolve

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
You can't speak to a under contracted player 'till November 1 the year before his contract ends. Broncos can't talk to Milford or Smith until November 1 2013, they're both contracted for 2014.

So November 1 they can be spoken to about 2015. Stops Maloney style situation of him signing with the Roosters years before his contract finished. Limits it to 12 months.
Would you mind pointing me to the regulation that mentions this?

I have searched everywhere I could think of, and haven't been able to find any official document, regulation or even guideline, stating anything about November 1 or clubs not being allowed to approach players under contract.

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
Same Porthoz but everyone seems to say it from managers, clubs, media etc

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
it could just be that the Raiders are desperate to keep him and are trying a last ditch effort to test his resolve

His manager & himself have virtually said, his father is near deaths door & he wants to be with his family.

So if he re-signs with them with an upgraded contract, it means he was full of shit.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
His manager & himself have virtually said, his father is near deaths door & he wants to be with his family.

So if he re-signs with them with an upgraded contract, it means he was full of shit.

From memory, nothing of the sort has ever been said, nor implied, they repeatedly said he was "ill", but who isn't ill after a heart attack, I still think the entire reason for asking for a release in the first place was because he wanted to be a guaranteed spot in the Halves at a good club, and for the money, of course.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
I think it is more because he is homesick. It happens. Broncos have lost kids back to the bush because they could not handle the city and being away from home

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Love his tweet today
Simply "goodmorning my neighbours"
Sounds like he is enjoying being home. Keep enjoying

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013

No they didn't but they did lie and say he was too ill to travel and move only to be discovered Halo was traveling to Canberra a couple of times that month then admitting they simply didn't want to move and his health was improving and better than expected to be.

Whether he moves or not its undeniable a lot of lies have been told on his behalf and a lot of BS guilt trips laid at the feet of the Raiders.

Last edited:
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
100 grand isn't going to keep Milf in Canberra if he is deadset on leaving. That is chump change for us.

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
100 grand isn't going to keep Milf in Canberra if he is deadset on leaving. That is chump change for us.
It did say "in excess" and it was the broncos mail, so perhaps it was a lot more but the CM down playing it, hope so anyway

BG99

BG99

BRL Player
Aug 5, 2013
thats an upgrade on his existing 2014 contract, which is supposedly around the 180k mark. nearly 300k for a kid in his second year isn't bad, wouldn't be surprised to see him in maroon either so possibly extra. obviously he would be required to extend into 2015 and beyond which i would assume to be at least 500k, up to around 800k.
so if he wants more cash for 2014 he'll need to extend, otherwise he plays for the raiders for whatever we're already paying him then moves home the following year

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
thats an upgrade on his existing 2014 contract, which is supposedly around the 180k mark. nearly 300k for a kid in his second year isn't bad, wouldn't be surprised to see him in maroon either so possibly extra. obviously he would be required to extend into 2015 and beyond which i would assume to be at least 500k, up to around 800k.
so if he wants more cash for 2014 he'll need to extend, otherwise he plays for the raiders for whatever we're already paying him then moves home the following year

Oh really? Is that how extensions and upgrades work? Wow thanks of that captain obvious.

BG99

BG99

BRL Player
Aug 5, 2013
well u guys were having trouble with it so thought you needed someone to spell it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Dony Eliakim
  • sooticus
  • Griffo
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Strop
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Maroon4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Big Del
  • Stix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.