[OFFICIAL] Barba to Broncos

I don't know what to think anymore. They make these grand announcements a month or so ago that they will be signing a marquee player and then just sit on their hands. The only decent signings left available are widdop and carney (but there is zero chance of carney coming here) and what's the bet that widdop re-signs with the storm within the coming days. Maybe they want that to happen so they can shrug their shoulders and say "oh well, we tried. Back to the combinations we know don't work"

I swear gee thinks that star players are just going to bust down his door and demand to play for the broncs

We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. They are definitely trying to get someone, Broncos never have and never will shout it out from the roof tops, it's not the way we do business. Hell most teams deny these remours even if they are true. We trying for Widdop and Barba, but like I said, I doubt Barba will leave the Bulldogs, they will certainly fight hard for him.

I don't know what to think anymore. They make these grand announcements a month or so ago that they will be signing a marquee player and then just sit on their hands.

I swear gee thinks that star players are just going to bust down his door and demand to play for the broncs

so who exactly should they have signed? what are you even talking about? a marquee player wont just appear because you want to sign one.

Im pretty sure that under the rules we cant even talk to Barba about coming here unless the Bulldogs allow us to. Due to the fact that Barba still has more than a year to run on his contract

Going by who is on the market I can't see many of us being stoked with who we sign. Widdop would be better than nothing but I don't put him in the Star playmaker category.

How about we sign some good up and comers instead of throwing millions at a bunch of overrated hacks?

How about we sign some good up and comers instead of throwing millions at a bunch of overrated hacks?

I don't mind that idea. I really think it is our best option. You only have to look at the QLD under 20's side to see we don't have any backs or halves that are rated highly. Still producing forwards though.

I agree, Cornish from the Raiders and Milford would solve the Broncos half and fullback issue.

I don't mind that idea. I really think it is our best option. You only have to look at the QLD under 20's side to see we don't have any backs or halves that are rated highly. Still producing forwards though.

Oates plays in the centres all the time.

I'd go Keary before Cornish. Mitchell isn't a bad shout, but he lacks the seasoning of Keary.

Plus, the Queensland factor and all.

I can't picture Oates playing too much centre in first grade. At least, I hope he doesn't.

I agree, Cornish from the Raiders and Milford would solve the Broncos half and fullback issue.

Isn't signing unproven players who migth have shown a bit of potential here and there what got the broncos in to this situation in the first place? Everyone says sign this youngster from that club, or give the bloke in the QCup a go, but are they really going to be any better than what we've currently got? How many next big players in the game have there been, only to amount to nothing.

I'm all for singing some junior talent, but I don't expect it's going to be a short term fix.

**** it .. exciting as this whole ‘barba to broncos’ circus was while it lasted, I couldn’t help but think that the timing of it all was totally askew .. the whole thing came across as though barba was looking to ‘flee the country’ so to speak and his M.O. for picking the broncos as his next refuge was completely unclear. It looked as though all the broncos really stood to gain (in the short term at least) was someone with an absolute shit-tonne of ‘baggage’.

Then watching that interview on ‘sterlo’ last night, about the only thing that really stuck with me (as having the largest degree of complete truth to it) was barba’s description of the way Hasler had really been there for him during his sabbatical from the club. I came away from that thinking that it just wouldn’t right for him to up and leave after that. Hasler has clearly had a positive influence on barba as a footballer and during his dark times off the field.

I know it sounds corny but if Barba does want to play for the broncos, I’d rather he came here in a good head space and with his affairs well and truly in order. Ultimately that would be the best fit for him and for the broncos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't signing unproven players who migth have shown a bit of potential here and there what got the broncos in to this situation in the first place? Everyone says sign this youngster from that club, or give the bloke in the QCup a go, but are they really going to be any better than what we've currently got? How many next big players in the game have there been, only to amount to nothing.

I'm all for singing some junior talent, but I don't expect it's going to be a short term fix.

Neither do I which is why I'm all for it.

I don't want to sink a million dollars into a player like Carney when there's no guarantee he can lead us to a premiership. I'd much rather us bring through a talented young back who offers us something we don't have and fill a role we're absolutely lacking it.

Mind you, my perception is that certain positions like the halves can't get much worse than what they are at the moment. Particularly the five eigth role.

Well our options are sign an average playmaker, a star playmaker requests a release to play for the Broncos or we sign some young guns and hope they develop.

well you can stop talking about widdop cos he just signed to the dragons.

I'd go Keary before Cornish. Mitchell isn't a bad shout, but he lacks the seasoning of Keary.

Plus, the Queensland factor and all.

I can't picture Oates playing too much centre in first grade. At least, I hope he doesn't.

Cornish is already playing NSW Cup and going very well, Keary struggled in Qld Cup. Cornish has him at the moment for the physicalness and competing.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Allo
  • Wild Horse
  • Battler
  • Painin the Haas
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • whykickamoocow
  • winslow_wong
  • Manifesto
  • Lurker
  • bb_gun
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncos4life
  • Brocko
  • pagey
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.