[OFFICIAL] Barba to Broncos

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Everyone is talking about offering Tomkins $1m a season, someone un-tried in the NRL, and this guy isn't willing to fork out $700k a season for the reigning Dally M medalist, I'm so confused right now.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Lets just get barba signed. Personally I'm happy to pay 700k for him and think he is well worth it, but in either case lets just get him here and then we can squabble over if he was paid too much and how on earth are we going to upgrade maranta now

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
the rumoured 300k compensation (or transfer fee) doesn't get counted under our cap for next season ... correct?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Everyone is talking about offering Tomkins $1m a season, someone un-tried in the NRL, and this guy isn't willing to fork out $700k a season for the reigning Dally M medalist, I'm so confused right now.

Try to understand that different people have different opinions .........things will become a bit clearer for you then.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
found this at the end of an SMH article:

The NRL confirmed compensation would not be part of the salary cap, so long as Barba didn't see any of it.[/quote]

Morris at centre of Barba fullback saga

if that is true, it would be a bonus for us, as there is no way that Barba would get any of the compensation.

Last edited:
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I'm not a huge fan of Barba wanting a release for family reasons and getting a massive pay upgrade. The extra cash he wants shoukd be used to pay the compensation to the bulldogs.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I'm not a huge fan of Barba wanting a release for family reasons and getting a massive pay upgrade. The extra cash he wants shoukd be used to pay the compensation to the bulldogs.

Agree with that, if he wants $750k a season, at least for 2014, the difference between what his salary would've been at the Bulldogs and what we pay him in 2014 should go straight to the Bulldogs.

He shouldn't benefit from the move financially for 2014.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
IMO 700k is fair, just give him the money and get the deal done.

I dont really care if he gets a pay rise by signing with us, same thing will happen if Milford signs.

If we are not prepared to pay them what they want we will have a backline round 1 2014 of: Hoffman, Kahu, Reed, Copely, Maranta and instead of arguing the worth of Barba we can start arguing about our lack of recruitment again.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
I've said it before, but I'd much rather pay Barba that amount than the alternative, which is to pay nobody nothing and be in the exact same spot we are now. Of course it's risk-reward. No, he hasn't proven he's consistently great, but he's flashed a boatload more potential than anyone we have coming through.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
If he's released from his contract, his management is free to negotiate whatever price they like. The Bulldogs are also entitled to compensation, especially if the NRL demand it. I fail to see how Barba should be restricted to a contract that is the same value as the one he is being granted a release from.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
He was last year'sd dally m and had some very good games this year despite a very interrupted season. Not to mention he was a gun before last year, except he had a few flaws is his game. Mostly his work under the high ball and his defense, both of which he seems to have addressed.

IMHO I'd prefer Barba for $700k entering his prime than to spend over a mill on a Thrusto who is looking more and more past it.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I think it sets a dangerous precedent if players get released on "Compassionate" grounds after a breakthrough year and then get an upgrade. I'm not saying I think Barba or Milford's motives are ulterior, but it does leave a bit of a bad taste in the mouth IMO.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I think it sets a dangerous precedent if players get released on "Compassionate" grounds after a breakthrough year and then get an upgrade. I'm not saying I think Barba or Milford's motives are ulterior, but it does leave a bit of a bad taste in the mouth IMO.

This is something that I agree with. As much as I'm keen to see both these players at our club, it is worrying. If you want to break a contract you twitter photos of yourself breaking club rules, or you claim compassionate grounds. I think the NRL needs to have stricter deterrents for this kind of thing...starting 2015, of course.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

I know what you mean, but at this point lining up next year with the same backline, minus hodges, plus another year older prince leaves a much much worse taste in my mouth

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I know what you mean, but at this point lining up next year with the same backline, minus hodges, plus another year older prince leaves a much much worse taste in my mouth

Look, from a purely selfish perspective, yay us. But if the shoe was on the other foot, we developed a player say from New Zealand who broke through as a junior and became a real sensation, but was contracted for another 2 years on a pretty low salary - and they turned around and said "I'm feelung homesuck bru" and we let him go, and he signs with the Warriors for a big upgrade...we'd be shitty.

IMO, if a player seeks a release from their contract then the requirement should be for the term of that contract their salary must be the same. So if Barba's on $300K now and we get him, then until the end of 2015 he gets $300K. Broncos can back end that deal beyond the 2 years if they like, but not before. That would act as a deterrent for people just wanting to get a quick upgrade.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I agree with that. All the upgrade money should go to the Dogs. Plus whatever compensation the dogs want outside of the cap.

They shouldn't be able to just say a number though, they should prove that they spent X amount developing him, and that's what they wish to be re-reimbursed + admin charges for chasing another signature.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
i think the barba/milford situations are a bit different to just claiming compassionate grounds.

barbas kids are being moved to a different state.
milfords dad is very sick and cant travel.

its not just "im homesick" or anything like that.

Unread

Active Now

• BruiserMk1
  • Jedhead
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.